Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michael Sweet/Stryper

Go down 
+10
ChosenOne
rockerVu2
Fundy
bigjtink
Staybrite
alldatndensum
Driven
ishmael81
Preacherman777
rich71
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 2:26 am

Staybrite wrote:
This thread makes me sad.

So for those who insist that Stryper should have never recorded songs from secular artists, or performed with secular artists, can you tell me how that hurts their "witness"?

I have no problem with them playing concerts with other secular. I would just prefer when they are on stage that they perform songs with a Gospel message and not songs that glorify the world..
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 2:34 am

bigjtink wrote:
Quote :
I just think they have compromised their ministry

Who says it's a ministry? That may be the problem. It's a job to them. But ministry happens. But they are just working musicians.

That explains alot and is very sad. All Christain bands should be using their talents that they have been given by God to spread the Gospel message and should be a ministry. If its just a job well then it sounds like they are playing for the world...Which is why I do not support them anymore...I dont want to listen to lukewarm bands for God...Thank God we have bands like Bloodgood playing music no beating around the bush with them.
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 2:35 am

Preacherman777 wrote:
That's not the way they frame things when they (or at least Michael) do interviews. It never gets stated that it's just a job where ministry may or may not happen and it doesn't really matter either way. They made a career off the name of Jesus and I do think there is some responsibility that comes with that. Unless they were just using him, but I don't think that's the case, so yeah, I think they need to accept some responsibility.

Amen. I agree.
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 2:38 am

brokentulsa wrote:
Today michael facebooked we should get a musician like ted nugent or dave mustain or david lee roth to run for president.

I dont really care about what Michael says anymore...
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 2:40 am

Preacherman777 wrote:
Well, when you throw Bible out to the crowd, it's pretty hard to say you are not trying to be ministers of the gospel, but maybe they are trying to have it both ways, so as to avoid accountability.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 2:45 am

Preacherman777 wrote:
I never claimed that the members of Stryper were anything less than God fearing Christians. I never claimed that Clapton or Jefferson Airplane or the Who for that matter are good examples, just that they made songs that could be taken in a Christian context. I would disagree that most of the songs on The Covering could be taken in a Christian context, but again, that's just my opinion and I respect the fact that you feel differently. Maybe you'd like to explain to me how these songs can be taken in that context. I'll admit that I may be more bothered by bands that have made use of occult or satanic imagery in their work than I am by ones who are just obvious sinners, so that may be a weakness on my side. I don't know. As for Styx, in spite of their name, I've never seen anything occult about the band or their music. In fact, Dennis Deyoung has written more than one song that seems to be pretty clearly God fearing in nature. If you've never heard his solo song "Hello God" you may want to give it a listen. But you know what, if I were to be convinced that any of these bands were stuff I really shouldn't listen to, again, it really wouldn't be a big deal for me to give it up. I'm more than happy with the music that clearly and openly glorifies God. I just give some slack to the stuff that I don't feel is really offensive to God or the Christian life. Heck, I even kept my silence when Deliverance did After Forever, in spite of it being a Black Sabbath song, just because of the nature of the song itself. I've really tried to give grace where it seems appropriate, but artists like Ozzy, Kiss, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and so on, have been pretty offensive in my book and I think Stryper knew full well that covering bands like that would create a lot of controversy, in fact, I think they were counting on it as means to help push the album and spread the message that it's ok for Christians to be entertained by these bands. No matter what they sing about. I mean, let's be honest. I can go to You tube right now and find video of Oz Fox singing and playing AC/DC's Highway to Hell with a secular cover band. All this album really did is show us who these guys really are. Again, not that they are not Christians, but they are Christians who still love worldly music and they want to sing it and play it and now they can even promote it and tons of fellow Christians think that's great. It's compromise, plain and simple. I don't mind giving grace, I really don't, but I do think a person needs to draw the line somewhere.

Well said brother and I completely agree with you. I couldnt have said it any better myself..
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 10:28 am

rich71 wrote:
bigjtink wrote:
Quote :

Who says it's a ministry? That may be the problem. It's a job to them. But ministry happens. But they are just working musicians.

That explains alot and is very sad. All Christain bands should be using their talents that they have been given by God to spread the Gospel message and should be a ministry. If its just a job well then it sounds like they are playing for the world...Which is why I do not support them anymore...I dont want to listen to lukewarm bands for God...Thank God we have bands like Bloodgood playing music no beating around the bush with them.

And the shows Bloodgood have done over the last two years have Oz Fox of STRYPER playing with them. Dang sell-outs. Now Bloodgood is going to Hell, too. lol!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 12:12 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 2:43 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 2:47 pm

X-sinner performs AC/DC songs like rock n roll damnation in concert and holy soldier covered the rolling stones on their second album. Lots of Christian bands "sell out" and perform secular metal from time to time.
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
rich71 wrote:
bigjtink wrote:
Quote :

And the shows Bloodgood have done over the last two years have Oz Fox of STRYPER playing with them. Dang sell-outs. Now Bloodgood is going to Hell, too. lol!

Yeah I know that. Bloodgood the band are not sell outs. Its good to see Oz Fox playing with a genuine Christain band that loves the Lord and not the World. There are Christain bands that sell out and individual artists that sell out all the time. Thats between them and God. If they want to sell out and make it more about making money than spreading the Gospel go for it, its free will. I dont have to hear or buy the trash. You will know them by their fruit.

Last I knew this Forum was titled CHRISTian Hard Music. If CHRIST isnt in the music I dont want to hear it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Quote :
I dont have to hear or buy the trash

sigh.. Evil or Very Mad

In The rules does " Postings which attack others personally or suggest that members lack true faith in God will not be tolerated. Any posts that are deemed to be directed in hate or malice towards any individual or group may be removed" apply to what we post about the bands we talk about?

Last edited by brokentulsa on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 5:18 pm

So Michael will be releasing his solo album soon. Who plans to get it...be warned there are a few secular covers on it. I may pick it up...it seems like it will rock a little more than his last few albums.
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 6:42 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Quote :
I dont have to hear or buy the trash

sigh.. Evil or Very Mad

In The rules does " Postings which attack others personally or suggest that members lack true faith in God will not be tolerated. Any posts that are deemed to be directed in hate or malice towards any individual or group may be removed" apply to what we post about the bands we talk about?

So your telling me brother that I lack true faith because I think that the covers that Michael picked for the cd The Covering are trash...I dont hate Micheal Sweet or any member of Stryper or any Christain band that sells out and covers secular music that doesnt glorify and honor God. Whatever happened to freedom of speech. Arent we suppose to sharpen Iron with Iron. I'm saying that the Art is trash.

Am I suppose to agree and support everything a Christain Band does because they label themselves Christain...Or a band that says they have members that are Christian but will sing some secular music just to bring the money in. I have a right to my opinion. I certainly do not hate anyone here. I dont want any malice towards anyone...

I have a personal relationship with Jesus. I care about the words that go into my ears and head...Thats why I pray for discerment. My walk and my relationship with Jesus means more to me than anything in this World. I want the songs I listen to uplift, Glorify, and Honor Christ persiod. When I became a Christian in 98 I became a New Creation. Which efffected what I read, watch and listen too...I'm not perfect but anymeans I fall down everyday. There are things I struggle with in my life that were started in my childhood. I was abused sexually and physically, burned and sufficated. I'm still recovering with the help of Jesus...

I know I didnt have to the latter part of the last article but Just felt called to do it..I dont anyone includding my alcoholic abusers my parents...I've forgiven them and want them to go to Christ...My brother also isnt saved...My brother likes the same type of music..I've been witnessing to him for many years now..Trying to get him to listen to songs that I like hoping that it interests him so far not to much...

Anyway..I dont want to fight...I'm just glad there is music out there from Letter7, Whitecross, Bloodgood, Petra with a solid message..Those bands might not be together anymore officially but there songs to live on for Christ...

I hope that none of you are in the path of this monster storm thats headed up the east coast..If so I will be praying for all of you, your friends and family...

Love all my brothers here...Rock on for Christ

-rich
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 6:44 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
So Michael will be releasing his solo album soon. Who plans to get it...be warned there are a few secular covers on it. I may pick it up...it seems like it will rock a little more than his last few albums.

No..Shocked I know..I am looking forward to the New King James cd thou..
Back to top Go down
Preacherman777

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Quote :

I would certainly hope you are not suggesting it applies to what Rich said. All he did was state his opinion and if he feels the music is trash that's part of his opinion. This is probably why the Bible warns us to not even risk the appearance evil, because some people are going to look at the things Stryper has done and feel that they have demonstrated bad fruit. It's the risk they have knowingly taken. Personally, I would take that segment of the rules to apply more so to personal attacks that suggest someone is not a true Christian because of their opinion about something or because they don't believe something that might be a disputable matter. Personally, I don't think this is a disputable matter, but I accept that others do think that and I'm not going to get into the business of trying to say who is genuine and who is not. Now, if Rich were on here saying he doesn't think you are a genuine Christian because you think differently about this, I think he might be pushing the envelope there, but I haven't heard that. I just see him saying that he doesn't believe these bands are demonstrating Christian fruit and putting out music that glorifies God, that's his opinion and I think he has a right to it. Now of course that just my take on the matter and I'm not a mod here, so someone who is may disagree and feel you have legit beef. I don't know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Quote :
So your telling me brother that I lack true faith

Not at all...but i do wonder if you guys are challenging strypers faith or any other band that "sells out". I think its acceptable to voice an opinion and choose to not buy an album but I think trashing a band and calling them "sellouts" is uncalled for. Thats why I am asking are we allowed to post comments that question the faith of bands or post comments calling them trash because we disagree with the songs they played? I am not being ignorant to you guys...I am seriously asking a question. For me personally I just refuse to trash a band or even call anyone a sellout. There are some artist that I don't agree with theologically but thats ok...they are still cool bands and I would buy their music if I liked it. As for "freedom of speech" I have been told that does not always apply on forum boards...Thats why we now have the rules. Very Happy Very Happy I am cool with that!!
Back to top Go down
Preacherman777

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 7:17 pm

I don't think he called Stryper trash, I think he said the music was trash. That's just an opinion as is that they sold out, so I really don't understand why you have such a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:
I don't think he called Stryper trash, I think he said the music was trash. That's just an opinion as is that they sold out, so I really don't understand why you have such a problem with it.

Yes thats correct. The Music. Not Stryper as a band or the individuals band members....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 6:49 pm

So I wrote OZ Fox on facebook and shared the views from this thread with him. I asked him to comment on "The Covering" and his secular band Vinyl Tattoo. I will share his response when I receive it.
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
So I wrote OZ Fox on facebook and shared the views from this thread with him. I asked him to comment on "The Covering" and his secular band Vinyl Tattoo. I will share his response when I receive it.

Is Vinyl Tattoo the band that he plays with when not touring with Stryper...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Quote :
Is Vinyl Tattoo the band that he plays with when not touring with Stryper...

Yes..here is their link...
http://www.vinyltattoolv.com/

here is Oz's link
http://www.ozfox.us/
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 12:17 am

How have I missed this thread? Reading through it just makes me want to Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 287212 some people for being too darn critical of other Christians without bothering to find out where they are coming from. To be honest, it's quite embarrassing to have some of what is said in this thread on my board.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 7:37 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
How have I missed this thread? Reading through it just makes me want to Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 287212 some people for being too darn critical of other Christians without bothering to find out where they are coming from. To be honest, it's quite embarrassing to have some of what is said in this thread on my board.

People have a right to their opinion. For some Christains anything goes. Their are Christains who use discernment when choosing what to listen to. Christains should care about what goes into their heads. I know Chris that you disagree with me on a bunch of theological issues, thats probably why you unfriended me on fb. I'm glad that this board exists so that CHRISTain Hard Music can be discussed.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Not to stir the pot (too much) but am I sinning because I don't call myself a Christian Mental Health Professional? Is my wife doing something wrong when she doesn't tell new people she meets she a Christian Stay At Home Mom?

You see my point? I fully believe that Artists who are Christians should write music, paint paintings, write books, carve sculptures etc. that represent their faith. But where do we draw the line as to what's acceptable.

When Stryper first put out the Covering, I was shocked and bummed. But I seriously doubt the guys did the album without praying about it first. I don't think it was intended to shock people.

Going back to what I started my post with, I work in he mental health field for a state facility. Since I work for the government, I legally cannot discuss my faith unless someone asks me. So how do I still spread the gospel (as Jesus commanded) while still obeying the law of the land (as Paul instructed us to do in Romans)? My actions. When someone asks, I'll share. But the bulk of my witness comes from how I treat people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet/Stryper    Michael Sweet/Stryper  - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael Sweet/Stryper
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next