Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 Michael Sweet-Stryper

Go down 
+4
ishmael81
Staybrite
MikeInFla
rich71
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rich71




Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 9:34 pm

I have some questions and comments to make. Some people might get alittle piffed at what I say but my intentions are not to do so. First comment is this

A couple of months ago I saw a video made by Michael stating that a new Stryper CD was coming out. He said that he believes that this cd achieves what he says has been lost or not achieved since the 80's cd's lke To Hell With The Devil. Ok my question why hasnt Stryper been able to achieve this. They obviously can because No More Hell To Pay does but if they were capable of doing No More Hell To Pay why couldnt they have done this before know. Its not like Michael and Stryper have ever been in a drought for resources. Its not like they are the most popular Christain Metal Band ever. I know that Michael indicated they might do a kickstarter campaign however that never hapened. Again do people actually think Stryper wouldve had a problem not raising enough money for a kickstarter, they are Stryper, World known...Michael is the leader of the band its not like he doesnt have the talent and the know how to pull it off. Of course they ended up at Frontiers and the rest is history. So what prevented them from doing so, I mean making a cd like No More Hell To Pay before now..Where they held back because of Record Labels thinking only a certain sound would sell?

Stryper and Michael sweet continue to frusterate me. I keep reading interviews where I agree with alot of what he says then he'll say something and I'll say oh man why did you have to go and say that. I read a recent article that they posted on thier facebook page where he almost comes down on Christain bands who take the Bible out on stage and start reading from it...Doesnt Les do that with Bloodgood. I mean I can see and agree with the fact about building relationships and if the door opens up talk about it but to basically lightly trash other Christains who do it differently then Stryper but do it well I feel that was sais in bad taste....

I think that more often than not i could be wrong but on the videos I see on you tube and the interviews I see on youtube. I think that Micheal falls into the part of being a rock star..Its not about being a rock star. At least not in my opinion. Its about singing about Jesus and honoring and glorifying Him with the talent and skill that He gave the person..Dedicating your art to Him. Having God speak to the audience through your art, in this case, music. Stryper will always have a special place in my heart because they are the first Heavy Metal I heard before I was a Christain. My then gf eventually my wife bought the cd for primarily Honestly and Calling on You...

Hope I didnt upset too many people. Here...and I know Christains dont always do it right but many try and to have the right intentions when witnessing.....others seem like they have never read the 4 gospels or the NT..

Love and Blessings to all here..
In Christ
Rich
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 12:11 am

Just because an artist can envision the type of sound he wants, doesn't always mean he knows how to get there. You have to have the right lyrics and music written, the right equipment, and the right backing.

And sometimes you don't really realize what exactly it is that you have always wanted until you hear it.

As for the rest, Michael prays at every concert I have seen. They throw Bibles out that contain the word of God, they have Isaiah 53:5 splattered everywhere, and they have many many songs that point to Jesus as the answer.

Are they like Whitecross, where Scott Wenzel almost preaches from the stage? No.

Do they need to be? I don't know.

A lot of non Christians listen to Stryper, I don't know if they ever become born again from the music or not. 

Does Michael witness to people in his everyday life? I don't know. That's between him and God.

Maybe Michael uses his music to open doors where he can minister one on one with people. Maybe people in the music industry see his example, how he lives, and decide that they want the same peace he has.

Is any of that really our concern? Probably not. Smile
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 12:23 am

I would like to add one thing...

If their music or the way they live and carry themselves, has led to so much as just ONE person becoming Born Again and being saved from an eternity in Hell, then it has ALL been worth it on their end. Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla


Number of posts : 3106
Age : 52
Localisation : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 8:36 am

And a lot of it comes from the record company. IGWT was more pop leaning because that's what the record company wanted. But the best since THWTD... Well that one is called Against The Law! Wink  the new one is very good and ranks up there but ATL my fave.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite


Number of posts : 23355
Age : 56
Localisation : Arizona Desert
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 12:52 pm

rich71 wrote:

A couple of months ago I saw a video made by Michael stating that a new Stryper CD was coming out. He said that he believes that this cd achieves what he says has been lost or not achieved since the 80's cd's lke To Hell With The Devil. Ok my question why hasnt Stryper been able to achieve this. They obviously can because No More Hell To Pay does but if they were capable of doing No More Hell To Pay why couldnt they have done this before know. Its not like Michael and Stryper have ever been in a drought for resources. Its not like they are the most popular Christain Metal Band ever.
Hey Rich, good question.

I think the reason they didn't make this kind of album 10 years ago is primarily because they didn't want to (at least collectively as a group). I think Reborn was an attempt to grab a younger crowd (that listened to that kind of music) and hopefully broaden their fan-base. I think it took them a few years to realize that it didn't really work, and their largest fan-base was the fans they still had from the 80's. I think the new album is an attempt to make us older fans happy, and hopefully Stryper is happy with it as well.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Just remember, Reborn was not meant to be a Stryper album, it was supposed to be a solo album for Michael. 

He says he had it ready and was shopping it around for a label, then he took it and made it a Stryper album. Adding a couple things here and there. 

He just reiterated that over in CMR. 

So Reborn may not be a good example of what the band was trying to achieve. Michael's solo stuff always has it's own.. but similar due to his voice and penmanship ..style.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite


Number of posts : 23355
Age : 56
Localisation : Arizona Desert
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 4:17 pm

bought4life wrote:
 

So Reborn may not be a good example of what the band was trying to achieve. .
Then I kind of begs the question as to why they released it as a Stryper album?

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 5:01 pm

I would assume because they got back together and it was a quick way to get a deal done for the record plus show the world Stryper is back. 

I am sure it was easier to get a record deal with being a Stryper reunion cd versus Michael solo cd. Remember he said he had been shopping it around
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite


Number of posts : 23355
Age : 56
Localisation : Arizona Desert
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 6:23 pm

bought4life wrote:
... Remember he said he had been shopping it around
I had never heard that (but I believe you).

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81


Number of posts : 3417
Age : 43
Localisation : St Louis
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 11:06 am

To answer the OP, I have several points.
 
First, I agree with b4l that sometimes an artist has a vision and it takes several years to get there, if ever. There are several authors that over the years have not released a book because they couldn't get it how they wanted it (JD Salinger and Ernest Hemingway come to mind).
 
Second, I understand what you're saying, but why do the Stryper guys have to conform to your standard of "ministry" to be legit? I'm not trying to be rude or devisive here. But as an example, I work in the mental health field. Is it my job to continually walk around talking about Jesus? Or would it be better for me to just be Christ-like as possible and realize that this will reach people? Stryper's lyrics always are very explicit that they are talking about Jesus and I can think of very few songs I have heard of theirs that is about something else. In fact, Stryper is one of about 3 metal bands I listen to, for that reason. If the guys felt like they should be preachers then they would be pastoring a church. Why can't their art just stand as art, and bring God glory through it?
 
I know we don't know each other aside from posting on this board but I'm gonna call you out here. I may be out of line, and if so, someone let me know - it's not my intention to offend. It sounds like you have a little hero worship with Stryper and since they aren't meeting your expectations, you're frustrated about it. I say that with love and grace, and like I said, if I'm out of line let me know.
Back to top Go down
phydeaux72




Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 12:38 pm

I'd like to add, if Michael has ever come down on another band for reading their Bible or sharing their message from the stage, I would like to see the interview. Because I just don't buy it.
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool


Number of posts : 1093
Age : 56
Localisation : In a van, down by the river....
Registration date : 2013-10-24

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Ishmael, can I ask how you can be Christ like and never talk about God? Seems it's all he did. There are many nice people out there but they could be Mormon, Buddhist or Atheist.
And i'm also trying to say that in love.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81


Number of posts : 3417
Age : 43
Localisation : St Louis
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Redeemed Fool,
If you'll reread my post, I asked if I should continually do that. I'm not saying I don't talk about Jesus ever, but the fact is if I talk about my beliefs too much at work, since I work for the government, I could get fired. Also, I didn't say "Be nice" I said "Be Christ-like."
 
My point was that I don't understand why musicians are held to a higher standard than other professions when it comes to "preaching" or "witnessing". If a Christian plumber spent more time witnessing than plumbing, he would go out of business. If a Christian physical trainer talked about Jesus more than training people, their clients wouldn't lose weight and they would go out of business. How can I (or anyone) be a workman approved in their field if I suck at my job or get fired every 6 months?
 
My further point was that it seems pretty apparent to me what Stryper believes. I'm not against them talking about God or Jesus from the stage, but I don't think it should be a checklist kind of thing either. "Let's see, we played More Than a Man, guess it's time to talk about Jesus for 7 minutes."
 
To quote St. Francis of Assissi "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words."
 
And as I said, I'm not trying to be nasty or whatever, I just genuinely don't understand this whole concept of holding musicians to this standard. Do people hold Christian waiters at their favorite restaurants to this standard? "Hi, tonight specials include a spinach quiche and a broiled sea bass. Speaking of fish, did you know Jesus fed five thousand with two loaves and five fish?"
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool


Number of posts : 1093
Age : 56
Localisation : In a van, down by the river....
Registration date : 2013-10-24

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Actually, St Francis probably didn't say that. And he talked all the time.
I hear you though and you're right, I missed the part about doing it always so that's my bad.
We hold musicians to a higher standard because they are in the public eye and when they fall it makes headlines and gives fuel to people who want to reject God. Look at the AILD singer right now, i've read where people are saying how typical it is and it shows how hypocritical christians are. I'm not saying it's right but expecially in this day of the internet they are under a microscope.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81


Number of posts : 3417
Age : 43
Localisation : St Louis
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Redeemed Fool wrote:
Actually, St Francis probably didn't say that. And he talked all the time.

I hear you though and you're right, I missed the part about doing it always so that's my bad.
We hold musicians to a higher standard because they are in the public eye and when they fall it makes headlines and gives fuel to people who want to reject God. Look at the AILD singer right now, i've read where people are saying how typical it is and it shows how hypocritical christians are. I'm not saying it's right but expecially in this day of the internet they are under a microscope.
Now that you mention it, I think I read somewhere that St Francis didn't say it...

I understand they're public figures, and I suppose I understand non-believers being critical and so forth, but it seems that most Christians aren't supportive or are critical of a band too easily.

Another quote - and this one I'm sure of - from Larry Norman. "Most musicians who are Christians are too Christian for the world, but not Christian enough for the church."
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Staybrite wrote:
bought4life wrote:
... Remember he said he had been shopping it around
I had never heard that (but I believe you).
quote from Angelic Warlord:
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/s/stryper05.html

Reborn, the first full length studio album from Stryper in fifteen years, can trace its origin back to when the band recorded two new songs - "Something" and "For You" - for its 2003 compilation Seven.  Subsequently embarking on a coast to coast US tour to commemorate its 20th anniversary, Stryper followed up a year later with a very well done live album entitled 7 Weeks: Live In America, 2003.  The next logical step for the band, naturally, would have been to record a new studio album but lead vocalist Michael Sweet had his heart sent on pursuing a solo career.  As a result, Michael began work on a new solo record in April of 2004, and upon completing it three months later, began shopping it around to different labels.

When you read on..the solo album became Reborn

Michael also said the same basic thing over in CMR recently.


Last edited by bought4life on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool


Number of posts : 1093
Age : 56
Localisation : In a van, down by the river....
Registration date : 2013-10-24

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus


Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Redeemed Fool wrote:
Actually, St Francis probably didn't say that. And he talked all the time.
I hear you though and you're right, I missed the part about doing it always so that's my bad.
We hold musicians to a higher standard because they are in the public eye and when they fall it makes headlines and gives fuel to people who want to reject God. Look at the AILD singer right now, i've read where people are saying how typical it is and it shows how hypocritical christians are. I'm not saying it's right but expecially in this day of the internet they are under a microscope.
Not only did St. Francis not say it, it's a very incorrect idea. We are commanded by Jesus himself to preach the good news to every creature (Matt. 28:19-20). Paul stated that faith comes by hearing and asked how the lost can come to faith if no one preaches to them (Rom. 10:14-17). The idea of living a good example and letting that do the preaching is a cop-out. (And for the record, I'm as guilty of not preaching or teaching as anyone. I'm not on a moral high horse here at all.) I'm just pointing out how unbiblical the supposed quote from St. Francis really is.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite


Number of posts : 23355
Age : 56
Localisation : Arizona Desert
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 4:54 pm

bought4life wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
bought4life wrote:
... Remember he said he had been shopping it around
I had never heard that (but I believe you).
quote from Angelic Warlord:
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/s/stryper05.html

Reborn, the first full length studio album from Stryper in fifteen years, can trace its origin back to when the band recorded two new songs - "Something" and "For You" - for its 2003 compilation Seven.  Subsequently embarking on a coast to coast US tour to commemorate its 20th anniversary, Stryper followed up a year later with a very well done live album entitled 7 Weeks: Live In America, 2003.  The next logical step for the band, naturally, would have been to record a new studio album but lead vocalist Michael Sweet had his heart sent on pursuing a solo career.  As a result, Michael began work on a new solo record in April of 2004, and upon completing it three months later, began shopping it around to different labels.

When you read on..the solo album became Reborn

Michael also said the same basic thing over in CMR recently.
No wonder it doesn't really sound like a Stryper album to me.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81


Number of posts : 3417
Age : 43
Localisation : St Louis
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
Redeemed Fool wrote:
Actually, St Francis probably didn't say that. And he talked all the time.
I hear you though and you're right, I missed the part about doing it always so that's my bad.
We hold musicians to a higher standard because they are in the public eye and when they fall it makes headlines and gives fuel to people who want to reject God. Look at the AILD singer right now, i've read where people are saying how typical it is and it shows how hypocritical christians are. I'm not saying it's right but expecially in this day of the internet they are under a microscope.
Not only did St. Francis not say it, it's a very incorrect idea. We are commanded by Jesus himself to preach the good news to every creature (Matt. 28:19-20). Paul stated that faith comes by hearing and asked how the lost can come to faith if no one preaches to them (Rom. 10:14-17). The idea of living a good example and letting that do the preaching is a cop-out. (And for the record, I'm as guilty of not preaching or teaching as anyone. I'm not on a moral high horse here at all.) I'm just pointing out how unbiblical the supposed quote from St. Francis really is.
While I understand your point I have to ask where the line is drawn. I'm guilty of it as well but at my job, which is the context of the discussion, I simply cannot talk about Jesus all day long. Now if you're talking about lost friends r family I think that's different but there are still boundaries.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum


Number of posts : 23413
Age : 54
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 9:01 am

I have two jobs:  youth pastor and working with special needs kids at a local high school.  With the first, talking about Jesus is what I do!  In the second, I am NEVER supposed to do this.  However, if one of my student helpers or any kid in that hallway asks me, then I make it a point to answer.  (Yes, that does happen.)  Before I was an aid in this classroom, I was a substitute teacher.  Religious topics came up all the time.  I took the time to answer questions any time they came up.  How many lawsuits have I been through?  None.  I was a very popular sub with the kids and teachers as well and often stayed booked up for weeks at a time. If it had paid more, I probably would still be a sub as I loved almost every minute of it.


Anyway, as to why do we hold bands to a higher standard than say a Christian plumber?  Actually, I don't believe we do.  If someone is called by Christ, they have marching orders from the King Of Kings to make disciples of all nations.  That is ALL of our jobs.  Yes, we have to retain our employment, but serving Jesus comes FIRST.  I don't care if you are a Christian who plays in a band, makes car parts, sells funeral plots, makes designer jewelry, or "insert job title here", we should all be prayerfully asking Jesus to show us how to share the gospel right where we've been planted.  If we get fired, then shake the dust off our feet and go somewhere else.  Do the job, but serve Jesus in more than action.  Serving only through actions is why we are nearing the 1% generation where only a measly 1% of the young people today will be reached by the generation before it. We are nearing the first godless generation.  Christian musicians, pastors, and all laypeople need to step it up as we are not fulfilling the Great Commission in this nation or elsewhere in the world.  If you have a platform, USE IT!  Pray for more boldness!  Be ready in season and out to give a reason for the hope that is within you.

_________________
I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool


Number of posts : 1093
Age : 56
Localisation : In a van, down by the river....
Registration date : 2013-10-24

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 10:52 am

Good post Chris.
Back to top Go down
rich71




Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 7:41 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
To answer the OP, I have several points.
 
First, I agree with b4l that sometimes an artist has a vision and it takes several years to get there, if ever. There are several authors that over the years have not released a book because they couldn't get it how they wanted it (JD Salinger and Ernest Hemingway come to mind).
 
Second, I understand what you're saying, but why do the Stryper guys have to conform to your standard of "ministry" to be legit? I'm not trying to be rude or devisive here. But as an example, I work in the mental health field. Is it my job to continually walk around talking about Jesus? Or would it be better for me to just be Christ-like as possible and realize that this will reach people? Stryper's lyrics always are very explicit that they are talking about Jesus and I can think of very few songs I have heard of theirs that is about something else. In fact, Stryper is one of about 3 metal bands I listen to, for that reason. If the guys felt like they should be preachers then they would be pastoring a church. Why can't their art just stand as art, and bring God glory through it?
 
I know we don't know each other aside from posting on this board but I'm gonna call you out here. I may be out of line, and if so, someone let me know - it's not my intention to offend. It sounds like you have a little hero worship with Stryper and since they aren't meeting your expectations, you're frustrated about it. I say that with love and grace, and like I said, if I'm out of line let me know.

No I'm not into hero worship. I'm into Jesus worship. Stryper doesnt have to conform to my standard of worship.
Back to top Go down
rich71




Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 7:45 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I have two jobs:  youth pastor and working with special needs kids at a local high school.  With the first, talking about Jesus is what I do!  In the second, I am NEVER supposed to do this.  However, if one of my student helpers or any kid in that hallway asks me, then I make it a point to answer.  (Yes, that does happen.)  Before I was an aid in this classroom, I was a substitute teacher.  Religious topics came up all the time.  I took the time to answer questions any time they came up.  How many lawsuits have I been through?  None.  I was a very popular sub with the kids and teachers as well and often stayed booked up for weeks at a time. If it had paid more, I probably would still be a sub as I loved almost every minute of it.


Anyway, as to why do we hold bands to a higher standard than say a Christian plumber?  Actually, I don't believe we do.  If someone is called by Christ, they have marching orders from the King Of Kings to make disciples of all nations.  That is ALL of our jobs.  Yes, we have to retain our employment, but serving Jesus comes FIRST.  I don't care if you are a Christian who plays in a band, makes car parts, sells funeral plots, makes designer jewelry, or "insert job title here", we should all be prayerfully asking Jesus to show us how to share the gospel right where we've been planted.  If we get fired, then shake the dust off our feet and go somewhere else.  Do the job, but serve Jesus in more than action.  Serving only through actions is why we are nearing the 1% generation where only a measly 1% of the young people today will be reached by the generation before it. We are nearing the first godless generation.  Christian musicians, pastors, and all laypeople need to step it up as we are not fulfilling the Great Commission in this nation or elsewhere in the world.  If you have a platform, USE IT!  Pray for more boldness!  Be ready in season and out to give a reason for the hope that is within you.
Great post Bro Chris and I agree..
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81


Number of posts : 3417
Age : 43
Localisation : St Louis
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 7:25 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I have two jobs:  youth pastor and working with special needs kids at a local high school.  With the first, talking about Jesus is what I do!  In the second, I am NEVER supposed to do this.  However, if one of my student helpers or any kid in that hallway asks me, then I make it a point to answer.  (Yes, that does happen.)  Before I was an aid in this classroom, I was a substitute teacher.  Religious topics came up all the time.  I took the time to answer questions any time they came up.  How many lawsuits have I been through?  None.  I was a very popular sub with the kids and teachers as well and often stayed booked up for weeks at a time. If it had paid more, I probably would still be a sub as I loved almost every minute of it.


Anyway, as to why do we hold bands to a higher standard than say a Christian plumber?  Actually, I don't believe we do.  If someone is called by Christ, they have marching orders from the King Of Kings to make disciples of all nations.  That is ALL of our jobs.  Yes, we have to retain our employment, but serving Jesus comes FIRST.  I don't care if you are a Christian who plays in a band, makes car parts, sells funeral plots, makes designer jewelry, or "insert job title here", we should all be prayerfully asking Jesus to show us how to share the gospel right where we've been planted.  If we get fired, then shake the dust off our feet and go somewhere else.  Do the job, but serve Jesus in more than action.  Serving only through actions is why we are nearing the 1% generation where only a measly 1% of the young people today will be reached by the generation before it. We are nearing the first godless generation.  Christian musicians, pastors, and all laypeople need to step it up as we are not fulfilling the Great Commission in this nation or elsewhere in the world.  If you have a platform, USE IT!  Pray for more boldness!  Be ready in season and out to give a reason for the hope that is within you.
Given this post and the couple by Redeemed Fool, I fear I have been misunderstood (which happens to me often when I write).

I'm not saying we shouldn't "preach" Jesus. If I'm accused of proseletyzing at my job (outright preacing) I will get fired. Because I have a family to support, I don't want that to happen. However, if I'm in a conversation and the oppurtunity to talk about my church, my men's Bible study or my faith in general, I jump on it like a hungry rat on a bag of Cheetos.

I'm all for serving Jesus - I'm a believer just like everyone else on the board (that I know of). My concern was that some people hold bands to this weird standard where they have to do certain things (and not just Stryper, and not just metal). Like I said, if Stryper wants to pray from the stage or preach or hand out Bibles, awesome. But I don't know that it should be some sort of religous requirement...

That being said, I agree with you alldat. I think we need to preach when the oppurtunity arises as the Spirit leads.

If anyone didn't understand or was offended I apologize. Reading back, I wasn't clear enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Michael Sweet-Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet-Stryper   Michael Sweet-Stryper I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Michael Sweet-Stryper
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Michael Sweet/Stryper
» Michael Sweet and Stryper
» Michael Sweet/Stryper News
» Michael Sweet talks about Boston/Stryper
» An exclusieve interview with Michael Sweet from Stryper.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: