Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 Michael Sweet and Stryper

Go down 
+4
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
BearDad
rich71
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rich71




Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Saw a post from Michael on Social Media explaining that Stryper isnt a Christain band but a band with 4 Christains in it. Some people were upset by this I was 1 of 3 people who voiced frusteration with this.

Im all for the taking advantage of the witnessing opportunities in non faith venues that God opens up for them. He said they are purposely on a secular label for a reason and I get that and understand why. He said that they dont make or sing just for Christains and I get that also. He doesnt want to pigeon hole the band as a Christain only band. The frusteration comes with the fact that Stryper has been singing Loud and Clear for the last 30 years that Jesus is More Than A Man and that Jesus Honestly loves us and wants us to Surrender our lives to Him and that Hes The Rock that makes Stryper Roll and that Jesus and them want to Rock the Hell out of Us and they will be following Jesus until theres No More Hell To Pay.

Ive read interviewd where he talks trash about Christain bands who are preachy on stage and says thats not what Stryper is about. Ok so you have a Bible verse in your band logo, you have been singing about Jesus for 30 years, ask for prayer and say prayers on stage and throw out Bibles into the audience. I never see Stryper or Michael hanging out with other Christain bands or solo artists. He always makes it a point to hang out with secular bands and solo artists. I know there are many lost among the secular venues however why do we never see him among his fellow bros and sis's in the Christain music areas. Michael frusterates me alot. Seems by what he says that its all about the money and not so much for Jesus.
Back to top Go down
BearDad




Number of posts : 2101
Localisation : Huron, SD
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 8:42 pm

Kinda a head scratcher, isn't it. Smile I feel your frustration and confusion, my friend. I still enjoy their music, and I don't doubt their faith, but I wonder about their motives.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum


Number of posts : 23413
Age : 54
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 6:18 am

It is frustrating when you just look at the surface.  However, you see a band that is still consistently sharing the gospel boldly on stage night after night.  You see them hanging with the "publicans and sinners" constantly.  Hmmmm....kind of reminds me a bit of Jesus.  The Pharisees called Him names and eventually killed Him for his actions in their frustration over him.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me.  As long as Stryper is still shining their light on Christ, who they hang out with and do shows with does not bother me at all.  I think that the Lord may have this band positioned right where He needs them.  Sadly, there are many Christian bands trying to play to secular crowds and hanging with mostly non-Christian artists that you will never hear anything about Jesus come out of their mouths.  Let's leave Stryper alone and let them do what they feel that Jesus and the Holy Spirit is leading them to do.

_________________
I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2


Number of posts : 16546
Age : 94
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 8:00 am

Quote :
As long as Stryper is still shining their light on Christ, who they hang out with and do shows with does not bother me at all.  I think that the Lord may have this band positioned right where He needs them.  Sadly, there are many Christian bands trying to play to secular crowds and hanging with mostly non-Christian artists that you will never hear anything about Jesus come out of their mouths.  Let's leave Stryper alone and let them do what they feel that Jesus and the Holy Spirit is leading them to do.

That's my opinion too.

Now we can discuss about what's more important.
A band with Christian members or a Christian band.

I think it are the members of the band who are writing the lyrics for the songs.
No, it's absolute not my meaning to start a "fight discussion" on CHM.

What makes me confused is Christian bands who go secular.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite


Number of posts : 23355
Age : 56
Localisation : Arizona Desert
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 8:48 am

I also think a lot of it comes down to how the term "Christian band" is defined.  If it's a band that plays whorship for the church on Sunday mornings, or even a band that plays the current trend of popular Christian music and gets airplay on "Christian radio", and tours with all the other Christian bands...I can definitely understand why Michael would say what he did given that Stryper doesn't really fit any of that.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81


Number of posts : 3417
Age : 43
Localisation : St Louis
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 9:01 am

Good call alldat. Two of my favorite artists are Five Iron Frenzy and Michael Knott (which I've shared...). They both take this view (especially FIF since there's actually two atheists in the band) and I think they've ministered pretty effectively.

I actually don't tell people I listent to "Christian music" anymore. It's just music - it can't be saved. Now,the majority of it was made by Christians but music is music.

Staybrite, you make some good points too. I play at our church and that's a little different than a band on the road.

Finally (and then I'll be quiet) if you are a Christian band that only plays Christian shows with other Christian bands... you isolate yourself and you only minister to people who are already Christian.
Back to top Go down
BearDad




Number of posts : 2101
Localisation : Huron, SD
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 11:42 am

ishmael81 wrote:
if you are a Christian band that only plays Christian shows with other Christian bands... you isolate yourself and you only minister to people who are already Christian.

Sorry, but I gotta play the "I disagree" card on that one. I have been to enough Christian concerts and festivals to know that there are a LOT of non-believers there. Also, Many "Christians" are actually not, and going to a Christian concert of festival just might help them realize this.  The Holy Spirit will work however It (He? She? Very Happy ) deems best, and the important thing for a Christian, in a band or otherwise, is to do as the Holy Spirit leads, which as alldat pointed out is what we must assume that Michael and the other guys in Stryper are doing.

As a final FWIW, there is nothing wrong with ministering to the saved; it called teaching. Smile It's what Paul did with his letters; none of those were addressed to non-believers.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81


Number of posts : 3417
Age : 43
Localisation : St Louis
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 am

BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
if you are a Christian band that only plays Christian shows with other Christian bands... you isolate yourself and you only minister to people who are already Christian.

Sorry, but I gotta play the "I disagree" card on that one. I have been to enough Christian concerts and festivals to know that there are a LOT of non-believers there. Also, Many "Christians" are actually not, and going to a Christian concert of festival just might help them realize this.  The Holy Spirit will work however It (He? She? Very Happy ) deems best, and the important thing for a Christian, in a band or otherwise, is to do as the Holy Spirit leads, which as alldat pointed out is what we must assume that Michael and the other guys in Stryper are doing.

As a final FWIW, there is nothing wrong with ministering to the saved; it called teaching. Smile It's what Paul did with his letters; none of those were addressed to non-believers.

I didn't say it was wrong, or mean to imply it. Casting Crowns is a great example of a band that focuses on ministering to those who are already saved. I just think it goes back to the purpose of the band.

As far as the Spirit goes, NT Wright said in one of his books that the Hebrew word used in the Old Testament is the feminine form of the word... which technically makes the Spirit the holy Mother... which makes sense and makes the trinity Father, Mother and Son.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick


Number of posts : 3488
Age : 37
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 12:00 pm

BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
if you are a Christian band that only plays Christian shows with other Christian bands... you isolate yourself and you only minister to people who are already Christian.

Sorry, but I gotta play the "I disagree" card on that one. I have been to enough Christian concerts and festivals to know that there are a LOT of non-believers there. Also, Many "Christians" are actually not, and going to a Christian concert of festival just might help them realize this.  The Holy Spirit will work however It (He? She? Very Happy ) deems best, and the important thing for a Christian, in a band or otherwise, is to do as the Holy Spirit leads, which as alldat pointed out is what we must assume that Michael and the other guys in Stryper are doing.

As a final FWIW, there is nothing wrong with ministering to the saved; it called teaching. Smile It's what Paul did with his letters; none of those were addressed to non-believers.

Amen!  Christian metal concerts are a great way for the patrons/fans to bring friends along and such.  I took my sister and her boyfriend (who was not Christian) to see Becoming The Archetype and Living Sacrifice.  They had an absolute blast!  I don't know where he's at spiritually (they broke up some time ago), but I hope it had some sort of positive effect.
Back to top Go down
BearDad




Number of posts : 2101
Localisation : Huron, SD
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 2:17 pm

kerrick wrote:
BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
if you are a Christian band that only plays Christian shows with other Christian bands... you isolate yourself and you only minister to people who are already Christian.

Sorry, but I gotta play the "I disagree" card on that one. I have been to enough Christian concerts and festivals to know that there are a LOT of non-believers there. Also, Many "Christians" are actually not, and going to a Christian concert of festival just might help them realize this.  The Holy Spirit will work however It (He? She? Very Happy ) deems best, and the important thing for a Christian, in a band or otherwise, is to do as the Holy Spirit leads, which as alldat pointed out is what we must assume that Michael and the other guys in Stryper are doing.

As a final FWIW, there is nothing wrong with ministering to the saved; it called teaching. Smile It's what Paul did with his letters; none of those were addressed to non-believers.

Amen!  Christian metal concerts are a great way for the patrons/fans to bring friends along and such.  I took my sister and her boyfriend (who was not Christian) to see Becoming The Archetype and Living Sacrifice.  They had an absolute blast!  I don't know where he's at spiritually (they broke up some time ago), but I hope it had some sort of positive effect.

Similarly my daughter took her friend to a Seventh Day Slumber concert, and at the end she responded to the singer's invitation. I don't know how serious she was (she's from an unchurched family and with the exception of the concert she won't do any church-type activities with my daughter), but a seed was definitely planted.
Back to top Go down
rich71




Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Hey they had church at the concert. Dont need a building to have God. The Church is the Body not the building. I do get what you mean. Im sure seeds were planted
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne


Number of posts : 858
Age : 47
Localisation : Iowa
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Doesn't bother me at all that they don't tour with Christian Groups. He goes into a little more in his book. Gotta tell ya, after reading his book I have a lot more respect for the guy. And I think for Michael its about the music and ministry of Stryper and not necessarily the money. He also talks in the book about how he basically lost the rights to the Stryper catalogue (which if you add up what they probably made back in the day) so he wasn't even really rich off their back catalogue or from their hey day.

They are getting their message out to the lost so I don't see what the harm is in that. I get them not wanting to be put into the tour only Christian tours, play only Christian venues, make sure you mention Jesus in all your songs type of band. People know who and what Stryper stand for and with.

If you get the chance to read Michaels book, it will help give you a better idea of where he is coming from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Michael Sweet and Stryper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet and Stryper   Michael Sweet and Stryper I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Michael Sweet and Stryper
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Michael Sweet/Stryper
» Michael Sweet-Stryper
» Michael Sweet/Stryper News
» Michael Sweet talks about Boston/Stryper
» An exclusieve interview with Michael Sweet from Stryper.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: