Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

70s prog that sounds great?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

70s prog that sounds great? Empty
PostSubject: 70s prog that sounds great?   70s prog that sounds great? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 7:20 pm

I'm on yet another 70s progressive rock kick right now (mainly Genesis and Yes) and looking for recommendations of Christian prog. I'm a stickler for clear production with a 70s sound and good songwriting. What albums do you recommend getting into?
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: 70s prog that sounds great?   70s prog that sounds great? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 7:21 am

Check out Neil Morse, not straight up 70s prog but a lot of influence. Have you listened to early Kansas? Livgren became a Christian and his search was often reflected in his lyrics.

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3869
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: 70s prog that sounds great?   70s prog that sounds great? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 7:34 am

As much as I enjoyed that, I don't know very many of the Christian bands from then. There have been newer bands that play prog (Ajalon, Neal Morse, etc) and some may have a classic sound. You may also follow what Karry Livgren did. I think the closest and most well known may be Glass Harp and Phil Keaggy. There had been a Christian Prog Yahoo group but nothing has been posted since it moved to Google in Nov since Yahoo shut down. I'd also recommend listening to Tri-Rock Radio as they play a bunch of stuff I've never heard of from way back when so you can expand your horizons at the same time (note they also play clean secular). Wink

Let me know what you find. I had all the Yes, Rush & PF LPs, most of Genesis, and a bunch of stuff you've likely never heard of and I can't even remember. geek

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3493
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 70s prog that sounds great?   70s prog that sounds great? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Someone on CMR posted about these guys. I don't know anything about them, but they're supposedly Christian and sound pretty cool from the bits I heard... Maybe you'll dig 'em!
afro

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3869
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: 70s prog that sounds great?   70s prog that sounds great? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2021 2:09 pm

kerrick wrote:
Someone on CMR posted about these guys.  I don't know anything about them, but they're supposedly Christian and sound pretty cool from the bits I heard...  Maybe you'll dig 'em!

Great music. If only I knew German better.

kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 70s prog that sounds great?   70s prog that sounds great? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

70s prog that sounds great?
Page 1 of 1