Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Ramblings

Go down 
+15
Guilty/Forgiven
messiaen77
BearDad
rockerVu2
xenonlion
Oldiesmann
Driven
Hardkore
Xid
kerrick
Through The Dark Radio
Staybrite
ishmael81
MikeInFla
alldatndensum
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Random Ramblings - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2016 11:31 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Quote :
My in-laws moved to Tennessee and they are talking about the fires.

What part of Tennessee might I ask?

We've had wildfires here before, but it is usually in the summer months.  It is odd to have them this time of year.  They have arrested someone now for arson in the east Tennessee fires.

The lack of rain and warmer than normal temps have really dried things out.  As I said, it has been nearly two MONTHS since we had measurable rainfall.  Usually, we are much more rainy this time of year as temps move towards winter level.  So far, I have had some frosted windows and wear a light hoodie in the morning but don't need it in the afternoon.  We will still be in the 70s for the highs for the next couple of days.
Crossville
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3120
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 7:15 am

Staybrite wrote:
I only give blood if they have cookies!
At my employer they have cookies, pizza, trail mix, chips 'n salsa and more. Someone said "if you throw in a back massage I'll give blood" so now they also give back massages from a therapist.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23473
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 7:16 am

That's about 1 1/2 hours from me, but that does put them in the wildfire zone.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 9:29 am

MikeInFla wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
At my employer they have cookies, pizza, trail mix, chips 'n salsa and more. Someone said "if you throw in a back massage I'll give blood" so now they also give back massages from a therapist.

I can't even get my employer to sponsor a blood drive...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 4:07 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

If they offered the massages at my wife's work she would become anemic giving blood every day.  lol!

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Beardad, wish you coulda caught me about 10 years ago. I got rid of over 300 Christian cassettes, including every heavy metal band you can think of. I did the final transition to CDs and LPs back then and no longer wanted the tapes. I'd bring a few stacks to church each Sunday and had a sign out that said Free to Good Home.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 7:16 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Beardad, wish you coulda caught me about 10 years ago. I got rid of over 300 Christian cassettes, including every heavy metal band you can think of. I did the final transition to CDs and LPs back then and no longer wanted the tapes. I'd bring a few stacks to church each Sunday and had a sign out that said Free to Good Home.  Very Happy

Yea, but 10 years ago my tape deck was gathering dust in a closet right along side the boxes of cassettes. I hadn't yet gotten old enough to be nostalgic and miss "the good o'l days" of cassette and vinyl. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 11:42 am

Being a manager isn't easy sometimes.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 11:57 am

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Being a manager isn't easy sometimes ever.

Fixed that for you.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 3:50 pm

I completely agree. 
We hired a new drafter and after only her first day it seems quite obvious her skill level is not at all up to par.  We will give her a few weeks of her probationary period to see if she can improve (substantionally), but will likely have to let her go and find another replacement.

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 3:54 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Being a manger isn't easy sometimes ever.

Fixed that for you.
How this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Staybrite wrote:

I completely agree. 
We hired a new drafter and after only her first day it seems quite obvious her skill level is not at all up to par.  We will give her a few weeks of her probationary period to see if she can improve (substantionally), but will likely have to let her go and find another replacement.

That's the worst. You hire somebody, you're excited about their potential, they're excited about a new job and then? Sorry, it's not gonna work, good luck... Sucks.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 5:12 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

I completely agree. 

That's the worst. You hire somebody, you're excited about their potential, they're excited about a new job and then? Sorry, it's not gonna work, good luck... Sucks.

Worst part is that she is a fantastic person, and it is going to be horrible to have to do it.

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Yep, letting people go is part of the job, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 8:00 am

I am SO not ready for Christmas.  BAH HUMBUG!!!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 9:15 am

Isn't there that passage in Romans 14 where some esteem days to be all the same, whereas some have special days? I fall into the former category, especially when it comes to Christmas and Easter and other holidays. My mom falls into the latter. It's a source of tension in the family.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 6:44 am

Driven wrote:
Isn't there that passage in Romans 14 where some esteem days to be all the same, whereas some have special days? I fall into the former category, especially when it comes to Christmas and Easter and other holidays. My mom falls into the latter. It's a source of tension in the family.

I'm with you. My wife and kids always want to go somewhere for Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, usually my folks' place because they're only a couple of hours away while my wife's folks are a couple of days away. And each day has to have so much pomp and circumstance, with more food than an army can eat. Me? I'd rather just relax and enjoy the time off of work, and if the meal truly needs to be special, at least don't cook so much.

Last edited by BearDad on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 7:24 am

BearDad wrote:
Driven wrote:

I'm with you. My wife and kids always wants to go somewhere for Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, usually my folks' place because they're only a couple of hours away while my wife's folks are a couple of days away. And each day has to have so much pomp and circumstance, with more food than an army can eat. Me? I'd rather just relax and enjoy the time off of work, and if the meal truly needs to be special, at least don't cook so much.

That is the Hallmark Movie Dementia showing.  Christmas movies have pushed people into believing the fallacy that Christmas is something magical, something romantic, and bigger than life itself.  The holidays are to be done with excess to be relevant at all. 

Our modern Christmas has little to do with Jesus.  It is the celebration of American greed and narcissism.  Its about spending and making everything bigger and bigger.  Its all about "me" and what I want.  That, to me, is the antithesis of what Jesus taught.

So, BAH HUMBUG!

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Our idea of Christmas is to make it a special time for our family.  We do the lights and trees and modest decorations, but we don't feel like we have to outdo anyone and we are constantly telling our parents to back off the spending for the kids because we don't want them to get the idea that Christmas is about the presents.  We also have a birthday party for Jesus, which the kids love (not just because of the cake).  We have made a concerted effort to emphasize that yeah it is fun and we get to open presents, but it is about Jesus.  Our 6 year-old SO much wants to believe in Santa, and we let him ask all the questions he wants, and we stick with our position that Santa is a symbol and an idea.  When we answer questions about how Santa does stuff, we always answer in terms of what the stories say or what the legends say or what people think about it.  It is hard to walk the balance between being truthful and allowing him this childhood pleasure.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 2:16 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Our idea of Christmas is to make it a special time for our family.  We do the lights and trees and modest decorations, but we don't feel like we have to outdo anyone and we are constantly telling our parents to back off the spending for the kids because we don't want them to get the idea that Christmas is about the presents.  We also have a birthday party for Jesus, which the kids love (not just because of the cake).  We have made a concerted effort to emphasize that yeah it is fun and we get to open presents, but it is about Jesus.  Our 6 year-old SO much wants to believe in Santa, and we let him ask all the questions he wants, and we stick with our position that Santa is a symbol and an idea.  When we answer questions about how Santa does stuff, we always answer in terms of what the stories say or what the legends say or what people think about it.  It is hard to walk the balance between being truthful and allowing him this childhood pleasure.

Just make it easier for yourself and celebrate Life Day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 2:38 pm

My wife and I put down a boundary when our son was 3 that Christmas Day was ours. We open gifts, eat a late breakfast (usually my wife makes chocolate chip pancakes) and we watch Elf, A Christmas Story or Fred Claus. Then about 4 we go eat at a Chinese buffet close to us for dinner. My son thinks this is hilarious because it's like Christmas Story...

That night, we watch Charlie Brown Christmas (since it explains why we are celebrating) and I read the whole story from the Bible to the family. Once our son is in bed, my wife and I watch It's a Wonderful Life while she has a glass of wine and I enjoy a couple craft beers or bourbon sours.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 4:42 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
BearDad wrote:
Driven wrote:

I'm with you. My wife and kids always wants to go somewhere for Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, usually my folks' place because they're only a couple of hours away while my wife's folks are a couple of days away. And each day has to have so much pomp and circumstance, with more food than an army can eat. Me? I'd rather just relax and enjoy the time off of work, and if the meal truly needs to be special, at least don't cook so much.

That is the Hallmark Movie Dementia showing.  Christmas movies have pushed people into believing the fallacy that Christmas is something magical, something romantic, and bigger than life itself.  The holidays are to be done with excess to be relevant at all. 

Our modern Christmas has little to do with Jesus.  It is the celebration of American greed and narcissism.  Its about spending and making everything bigger and bigger.  Its all about "me" and what I want.  That, to me, is the antithesis of what Jesus taught.

So, BAH HUMBUG!

Maybe for Thanksgiving, but not so much for Christmas and Easter, at least for us. Jesus, who He is, and what He represents, has always been a focal part of our Christmas and Easter. Even when our kids were little the gift exchange and egg hunt stuff that "tradition" has essentially forced on all of us was very controlled and minimal. For us it's more a time to get together with family (this Thanksgiving my parents will have all three kids home for the first time in a dozen years or more.) The excessive meals is more a case of everyone wanting more than they really should ("should we have green bean casserole or sweet potatoes ... I can't decide ... ok, both!", "pumpkin pie for those that don't like pecan pie, and pecan pie for those that don't like pumpkin pie", etc.)

I agree with the bah humbug because I don't like going to such extremes and I don't like driving. Smile  But I don't think we (my family, both up and down) are narcissistic.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 9:45 pm

The main occupants of my house (I live in the basement and they have the upper two floors) are currently listening to Stairway to Heaven.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 11:35 am

What're you working on?

5 o'clock

I mean, right now.

Lunch
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 pm

What're you working on?

5 o'clock

I mean, right now.

Lunch

I know it isn't but this seems like dialogue out of Office Space...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Ramblings
Page 5 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next