Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rebecca St. James

Go down 
+3
Staybrite
alldatndensum
Raluces
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Raluces

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2021-06-08

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2021 11:04 am

She had some c00l tunes I saw on Gospel Music TV Programs back in the 90's and 2000's . R u a fan ?

Back to top Go down
Raluces

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2021 11:05 am

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2021 5:00 pm

She did three cool rock albums.  The rest of her stuff is either two pop or worshippy stuff

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Raluces likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2021 5:35 pm

I loved that song she did "Your the Voice".  Oddly enough the secular band Heart would cover the same song a few years later on one of their live albums.  I have an old internet friend in Phoenix that really used to love all her stuff (not so sure about now though).

Normaniac and Raluces like this post

Back to top Go down
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2017-02-13

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2021 10:28 am

I was a fan back in the late 90s, have her first three albums. The RSJ debut was definitely pop, Pray and God were much more rock. Can't say I've followed her since then, as I don't listen to radio and have no idea what she's done (other than try some acting and get married).

Speaking of radio, Christian radio is a sad place. Most of radio is, probably. There used to be independent stations where I got turned on to some neat stuff (they'd actually schedule shows with different music formats, what a concept!), but for the most part it's all the same sound, looping every two hours or so, 24/7.

Normaniac and Raluces like this post

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2021 3:14 pm

ChristTrekker wrote:
I was a fan back in the late 90s, have her first three albums. The RSJ debut was definitely pop, Pray and God were much more rock. Can't say I've followed her since then, as I don't listen to radio and have no idea what she's done (other than try some acting and get married).

Speaking of radio, Christian radio is a sad place. Most of radio is, probably. There used to be independent stations where I got turned on to some neat stuff (they'd actually schedule shows with different music formats, what a concept!), but for the most part it's all the same sound, looping every two hours or so, 24/7.

You can still have that experience, but you have to switch from terrestrial radio to streaming.  There are many internet based stations that can give you different artists and genres.  I don't know so much about indie bands, though.  Even they seem to have to pay to really get included in very many playlists.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
Raluces

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2021 7:54 pm

And what a beautiful woman Rebecca has always been  I love you I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2017-02-13

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 11:17 am

Staybrite wrote:
I loved that song she did "Your the Voice".  Oddly enough the secular band Heart would cover the same song a few years later on one of their live albums.  I have an old internet friend in Phoenix that really used to love all her stuff (not so sure about now though).

Dang, now I want to hear what Heart did with their cover version.

Staybrite and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 2:24 pm

My wife and I really liked her back in the 90s. I still listen to “Pray” occasionally. It’s a fantastic album. The worshipful “Omega” at the end is so good.

Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom

oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2021 11:26 am

I still see her on FB.

Something about marriage has tempered down her music.

Last edited by oldschooldoom on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 4:09 am

Staybrite wrote:
 "
The Heart cover was the only version I knew until just this minute. As I listen to RSJ I kept expecting her to go 🎵 "Ohh-oh-ohhh-oh-oh-oh-oh. Whoa-ohhh-oh-ohhh-oh-oh-oh-oh. Oh-oh-ohhhhhh"🎵

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Jen5 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
 "
The Heart cover was the only version I knew until just this minute. As I listen to RSJ I kept expecting her to go 🎵 "Ohh-oh-ohhh-oh-oh-oh-oh. Whoa-ohhh-oh-ohhh-oh-oh-oh-oh. Oh-oh-ohhhhhh"🎵

Oh man that is hilarious!  Like you I only knew of the Heart version (which strangely enough is only available as a live recording on their "Rock the House Live" album).  It wasn't until my wife picked up the RSJ album and I heard that version that I said "hey what's going on here".  I though for sure RSJ was doing a Heart cover.  But it turns out the song was written by 3 or 4 other songwriters (who I think all worked in different bands).  The first recording of the track (I'm pretty sure) was by Aussie vocalist Mark Farnham back in 1986.  Heart's live version was recorded in 1990, and RSJ released the track in 1996.

Here is the live Heart version for those of you interested.

Oddly enough there is another version of the song by the Alan Parsons Project that includes Chris Thompson on vocals.  Chris was one of the artists credited with having written the tune.  This version is from the mid-90's some time after Heart recorded their version.  Strange to have an original artist officially record one of the songs they wrote so long after it's original recording.

Staybrite

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 12:50 pm

Ok, I'm a total nerd when it comes to cover tunes (just ask Guilty/Forgiven)...  As I was doing a little research I found another cover version of this song.  Blind Guardian did this cover back in 2010.  Despite it being recorded by a very competent metal band I find this version to be pretty bad.  Maybe it's the major key or something... but I'm not digging this at all.

Admin
alldatndensum

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 5:48 pm

The big thing with the Blind Guardian version is they gave it a very generic, unmemorable riff.  Liven it up, guys!

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 7:01 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
The big thing with the Blind Guardian version is they gave it a very generic, unmemorable riff.  Liven it up, guys!

Yes, that too.

Jen5

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2021 4:44 am

That was fascinating. I love seeing the way different bands interpret the same song. RSJ was the most different from the original. Her version is a pretty quirky.
Agreed about BG, but imo, they're really close to nailing. Like Chris says, it just needs a little salt and pepper to spice it up. My big question is who is playing the mandolin in the Heart version Question Question Question

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2021 11:24 am

Jen5 wrote:
That was fascinating. I love seeing the way different bands interpret the same song. RSJ was the most different from the original. Her version is a pretty quirky.
Agreed about BG, but imo, they're really close to nailing. Like Chris says, it just needs a little salt and pepper to spice it up. My big question is who is playing the mandolin in the Heart version Question Question Question

Yes, Rebecca's version almost has this odd electronica sound to it.  Very interesting.

Both of the Wilson sisters from Heart have been known to play the mandolin, but I am guessing it might be one of their old friends who they would often take on tour with them. Sue Ennis possibly, she would often play keyboards with them on tour and the Wilson sisters have been friends with her for decades (maybe even before they were in Heart).  Frank Cox is another long time friend and collaborator musician who plays mandolin.  Or possibly just a hired gun.... dang it, now I gotta dig out the album and see if someone is credited with playing the mandolin on the recording.

Staybrite

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2021 11:35 am

I'm listening to Rebecca's version again and the first thing that hits me is Alanis Morissette (especially in the verses).  Would make since because Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill" album was released in 1995 and it dominated the radio for quite some time.

Here are the credits for the Rock The House Live! album.
Apparently it was Nancy... or Howard on the mandolin  Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jen5

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2021 4:54 am

Staybrite wrote:
I'm listening to Rebecca's version again and the first thing that hits me is Alanis Morissette (especially in the verses).  Would make since because Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill" album was released in 1995 and it dominated the radio for quite some time.

It must have been Howard playing because in the concert Nancy is playing what looks like a dreadnought
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2021 3:17 pm

Jen5 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

It must have been Howard playing because in the concert Nancy is playing what looks like a dreadnought

It certainly looks like a 12-string Ovation that she's playing.  But I'm not certain the all the concert footage is necessarily from that song.  Someone is playing electric guitar on the song (I can hear those big sweeping power chords on the chorus).  But who knows how much of the music was added in the studio to "enhance" the live music... or possibly Howard did the mandolin on the verses and the electric on the chorus (I've seen that done live).... however there is a mandolin solo with an electric guitar backing it up.  I even saw the band during this tour, but have no idea who played which stringed instruments on this song. 
lol!

Rebecca St. James  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebecca St. James    Rebecca St. James  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rebecca St. James
Page 1 of 1