Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage

Go down 
5 posters

S. O. S.
Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_lcap14%Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Attention
Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_lcap14%Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Souls for Hire
Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_lcap0%Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Defective Youth
Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_lcap43%Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
Who's Real Anymore
Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_lcap0%Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Armageddon Appetite
 0% [ 0 ]
Beyond the Gun
 14% [ 1 ]
Crimes
 0% [ 0 ]
It's You
 0% [ 0 ]
Tears In the Rain
 14% [ 1 ]
Walk Away
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage   Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 8:50 pm

The first studio album by the band since shortening their name, this one has never been one I would consider a favorite. In fact, even now I rarely listen to it. Still a good album, with some great tunes, but the band pretty much sea-sawed between being an 80's synth-band and a hard rock and roll band.

When I first plopped this record onto the turntable and heard S.O.S. I almost turned off the stereo! I could not believe what I was hearing! Surely there was a mistake, as this was NOT the Rez Band I knew. With silly "speak and spell" sound FX, electronic drums, and synthesizers, I was sure Armageddon was right around the corner.

Fortunately, the second song more than made up for the first; Attention is a hard, fast rocker that truly does get your attention. Now this was what I expected from these guys! This was the Rez Band I knew and loved.

Song three ... Souls for Hire .... what!? More electronic drums and synthesizers, and a dance beat!? affraid

And the sea-saw goes up ...

... to Defective Youth. Another break-neck rocker that turns your knuckles white from holding on.

And the sea-saw goes down ...

... to Who's Real Anymore. More 80's sound. Good message about materialism, but hard to listen to.

Followed by Armageddon Appetite. I was right! Armageddon was right around the corner! (see how I did that! Smile ) 

After listening to side one for the first time, I said a brief prayer as I turned the record over .... only to be dismayed at the sounds of more keyboards and electronic drums for Beyond the Gun. Strangely, however, this song sort of appealed to me. I've never been able to put my finger on it, but I've always liked this one.

... for another rocker in Crimes. This one has great guitar work, and if I'm not mistaken I believe it was the band's first video for MTV. Naturally it got played every night!  Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage Sarcasmalert

And guess what ... yep! The sea-saw goes down ...

... for It's You. This song is catchy, and has a great saxophone break, but really guys? More synth and electronic drums!?

... for what is possibly the best song on the album, Tears in the Rain. This is a story song, a lyrical style that Rez used quite well for at least one song on several albums.  It's such a sad song, though, as it doesn't have a happy ending:

"But rock and roll was calling, the spotlight rarely waits, a crying girl and her god watched him move on to his fate."

And the sea-saw ... STAYS UP! Woo hoo! At least we did not end with an 80's type tune. It's not a rocker, but it's still an excellent song. Lyrically this is my favorite song, as it has always done what at least one song on each Rez album has done ... it touches a nerve!

OK, time to come clean. I've more or less bashed this release, pretty much stating that only half the songs are worth listening to. That's not entirely true anymore, as I am older, more mature (really!  What a Face ) and more appreciative of all styles of music, and even though the new wave synth sound that Rez played with a little has never been my favorite, these talented musicians still put together a good album with great lyrics. I just don't listen to it as much! Smile

So, a favorite. Well, I am torn between Attention, which kicks butt as a rocker; Tears in the Rain, which is an awesome story song; and Walk Away, which hurts so good when I listen to it. Hmm ....

I guess I'll go with Armageddon Appetite!

Joe king !!!!  As I said, I love the last two songs, but the rocker Attention has claimed the "best of" spot in my heart!

Last edited by BearDad on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage   Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 9:21 pm

I liked this album, too.  Armageddon Appetite made me laugh.  The toss up of favs is between Defective Youth and Tears in the Rain.  Tears wins as I love the story telling and can remember all of the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage   Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 9:31 pm

This whole album is rather hit or miss.  There are some songs like "Armageddon Appetite" that just should not have been done.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage   Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 11:37 pm

Defective Youth partly because they prove they didn't totally sell out. Tears is great, I agree.
Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage   Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 8:07 am

I agree with BD on this one. It's definitely not their best work and if it had been my first exposure to the band, I might not have continued to listen to them. I didn't like the 80's pop sound then, I don't like it now. However,  it was a Rez album, so I bought it (blue cassette and all). My favorite from this album has to be Defective Youth.

Strangely enough,  I can't remember if it was this album or Between Heaven And Hell that I have Wendi's autograph on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage   Favorite Rez Band Song - Hostage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1