Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours

Go down 
+3
Staybrite
Redeemed Fool
BearDad
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Autograph
Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_lcap0%Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Colours
Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_lcap17%Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
NYC
Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_lcap0%Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Hidden Man
 0% [ 0 ]
Amazing
 0% [ 0 ]
American Dream
 0% [ 0 ]
Benny & Sue
 0% [ 0 ]
City Streets
Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_lcap33%Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Beggar In the Alleyway
 0% [ 0 ]
The Struggle
Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_lcap50%Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 10:53 am

No excuses this time, I just plumb forgot! Man, getting old sucks!

Not only was Resurrection Band's Colours, released in 1980, my first Rez tape, it was my introduction to Christian rock in general. I remember getting Petra's NOTW and MPTY when they first came out, but I'm fairly certain this was my first ever Christian rock tape.

Colours (why'd they spell it the British way!?) starts off with an awesome two minute guitar jam, showing off Stu Heiss' talent. This jam session would have been great as a song in and of itself, but it's actually an intro for "Autograph," a song featuring Wendi at lead VOX.  Her "oooh yeah" at the two minute mark sets the tone for the rest of the song, not to mention the rest of the record.  This album came out the same year as Bob and Doug McKenzie's Great White North, and while I was never into Rush for one reason or another, one memory I have with Colours was that Wendi sure sounded a lot like Geddy Lee!  Of course I don't think so now, as I've listened to both bands more and have a more mature ear, if not a more mature mind ( Very Happy ), but as a 15-year-old kid I didn't know any better. 

The title song is a groovy piece, and I'm not trying to be all "70's-ish" ... it literally has a great groove, with yet another great jam session half-way through.  How did Stu Heiss NOT get named to any "top guitar players" lists!!??

There are a lot of great rockers on this album, including "NYC" (you know any song that starts out with the drummer counting time with his sticks is going to be one), "American Dream", and "City Streets," and some excellent though-provoking lyrics through out!  As always, I am torn concerning my favorite, almost enough to regret starting this series of threads!

Remember what I said last week, about John Madden's weekly "this guy is the best player" statement? Well, this is the best Resurrection Band album ever ... until next week when we talk about Mommy Don't Love Daddy Anymore! Very Happy  Seriously, though, like a first kiss or a first car, I will always rate this album as my favorite.  Not necessarily their best, just my favorite.

A song particularly worthy of note is Benny & Sue; I don't think anyone does story songs better than Rez!  However, as much as I love that song it's not my favorite; that honor goes to "The Struggle."  Typically I'm a "louder faster harder" guy, and I love Resurrection Band's rock songs, but when they slow it down a little and Glenn belts out these soulful tunes about Jesus being our only hope it really speaks to me.

"Without You I can't face myself"!

Last edited by BearDad on Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 10:59 am

I voted for The Struggle before I read your piece, nice review. I love this one too, and the bluesy songs they do are often my faves. If you really pay attention to their lyrics you can't help but be a little convicted.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 11:06 am

Redeemed Fool wrote:
I voted for The Struggle before I read your piece, nice review. I love this one too, and the bluesy songs they do are often my faves. If you really pay attention to their lyrics you can't help but be a little convicted.

Yep, the Struggle has always been a "gotta listen to it" tune!  That song always spoke to the introvert in me, even more so when I was a teenager.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 2:32 pm

The Struggle is a fantastic song, hands down my favorite from this album. I probably wouldn't rate this album in my top 5 for the band, but it is still pretty darn good.

BearDad wrote:

Colours (why'd they spell it the British way!?)

That left me scratching my head in wonder as well.

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Another one that I haven't heard.  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Xid wrote:
Another one that I haven't heard.  Rolling Eyes

That's a bummer, but I hear ya. I have a few holes in my Rez catalog as well.

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 3:38 pm

This is a must have imo.
Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 7:46 am

If we're talking only about Colours, I have to say City Streets. Most of my favorite material from Rez comes from later albums. Great, great band though.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome metaldude to CHM.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:43 am

rockerVu2 wrote:
Welcome metaldude to CHM.
Yes, welcome to the board!

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:58 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:59 am

metaldude wrote:
If we're talking only about Colours, I have to say City Streets. Most of my favorite material from Rez comes from later albums. Great, great band though.

This particular poll is for Colours. We are going through the Rez albums one by one, with a new poll every Sunday (or Monday when my age shows and I forget  Rolling Eyes  ).  The polls for the older albums are closed, but the threads aren't, so if you like you can post a comment to them. In the meantime stay tuned for Mommy Don't Love Daddy Anymore, coming to a CHM forum near you soon. Smile

BTW, welcome to CHM.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 2:29 pm

BearDad wrote:
... with a new poll every Sunday (or Monday when my age shows and I forget  Rolling Eyes  ).  .

This seems to be a common theme with many of us here at CHM (myself included)

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Aren't that to many polls?
With so many poll every week the CHM members are losing their interest in polls.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 4:30 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
With so many poll every week the CHM members are losing their interest in polls.

I don't think so. As long as people keep responding to them, then they are obviously ok.

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 4:53 pm

How about a poll about polls? geek
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 5:03 pm

^ I started one, but then changed it to a "continue doing rez band albums" poll. I didn't want to poke too much fun at rockerVu2's suggestion. Smile
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 7:04 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:

Hey, don't take my response personal, OK. When you posted this I couldn't resist starting another poll to see if people think there are too many polls! Very Happy  But to take the sting off my jest a little I made it a poll to see if I should stop doing the Rez Band ones.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:28 am

It's Ok BearDad.
 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:39 am

The Disciple poll is cool.
My thought about the Petra and REZ band poll is that not all CHM members have all those albums.
I've nothing against poll, but I like a poll of different bands more.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 9:30 am

rockerVu2 wrote:
The Disciple poll is cool.
My thought about the Petra and REZ band poll is that not all CHM members have all those albums.
I've nothing against poll, but I like a poll of different bands more.

From the "for what it is worth" department...

I only have about 3/4 of Petra's work, and I don't have any Disciple albums (yet ... I supported their latest "let the fan's pay for it" deal so I'll have one soon).  I do have all of Resurrection Band's stuff as they have always been a favorite, so that is the poll series I decided to do. In retrospect I kinda wish I hadn't, but only because I was surprised that so many people only have one or two of their CDs. Sad  How can so many people have lived such deprived lives!?  It's so sad! Razz  Had I known that there would only be a half dozen people interested in these polls I wouldn't have started them, but I'd rather not stop now because we are starting to get to the more commonly known albums.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 10:35 am

I think I am only missing about 3 of the Rez albums, but I have pretty much no Disciple albums (except for the first two) Also missing more than half of the Petra catalog myself. So I didn't participate much in the Disciple stuff at all.

When we are done with all the Rez albums I think it would be a good idea to do another band. Maybe one of the classic metal bands like Saint, or Stryper, Bloodgood etc.

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 10:51 am

I love the Rez poll, I like them all even if I don't have all the albums. It's interesting to see what others enjoy.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 12:31 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I think I am only missing about 3 of the Rez albums, but I have pretty much no Disciple albums (except for the first two) Also missing more than half of the Petra catalog myself.  So I didn't participate much in the Disciple stuff at all.

When we are done with all the Rez albums I think it would be a good idea to do another band.  Maybe one of the classic metal bands like Saint, or Stryper, Bloodgood etc.

I'm for it, although this is the last "series" I'm doing.  In fact, it sounds to me like you just volunteered!  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 3:32 pm

BearDad wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
I think I am only missing about 3 of the Rez albums, but I have pretty much no Disciple albums (except for the first two) Also missing more than half of the Petra catalog myself.  So I didn't participate much in the Disciple stuff at all.

When we are done with all the Rez albums I think it would be a good idea to do another band.  Maybe one of the classic metal bands like Saint, or Stryper, Bloodgood etc.

I'm for it, although this is the last "series" I'm doing.  In fact, it sounds to me like you just volunteered!  Twisted Evil

I will wait until you are done with Rez and try to start one up for Saint (don't anybody let me forget).

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours   Favorite Resurrection Band Song - Colours I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next