Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favorites for 2023

Go down 
+3
Staybrite
Xid
alldatndensum
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 1:38 pm

It's that time of year again, folks!  What were your favorite Christian metal or hard rock albums for 2023?

Albums MUST have been released this year.  Simply buying it this year does not count.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 2:07 pm

Kalamity Kills - I'm pretty sure this is the only album I've picked up this year.

Staybrite and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2023 2:54 pm

I've been thinking about this for the last month and been trying to cram as many listens as possible to a few late entries for the year.  Here was my favorite stuff for the year.

1. Martin Simson's Destroyer of Death - Eternal Reign.  This is like getting another (long overdue) great Rob Rock solo album (well almost).  
2. Kalamity Kills - Kalamity Kills  Really surprised by  this one as I didn't expect to like it at first...but it is just amazingly cool. (almost made my number 1)
3. Applehead - The Light Side of The Apple IMHO this is even better than the first album, some really cool stuff on this one.
4. Mission of One - Kill the Cobra tied with Joshua's Creed - The American Dream  The guitar sound the new Mo1 album is just killer! And the lyrics and overall songs on the new JC album are stellar.  Two amazing releases from these indie artists and CHM favorites. 
5. Wytch Hazel - IV: The Sacrament  Not my favorite style but I just really dig what these cats are doing!
6. Lordchain Praise - Miracles in Mercy tied with Jackstrawed - As the Crow Flies.  Love the Lordchain Praise albums better than any worship music.  I think their song "Through a Glass Darkly" is easily a top 10 Lordchain favorite.  John's Jackstraw project was also fantastic, just a little too short with 6 songs (and two of them instrumental).  Don't get me wrong, I love it...but it feels like an appetizer.

Reissues that I really liked

1. Chosen Stranger - Chosen Stranger  I am so stoked to finally have an official release of these two EPs together on one album.  Absolutely classic AOR sound.
2. Stairway - No Rest: No Mercy  This is the definitive version of this classic NWOBHM album.  The volume issues that plagued the previous reissue are gone and it just sounds fantastic. 
3. Mercy Ruled - Overruled  I almost didn't get this when it was reissued on CD.  I had the cassette for years and barely listened to it.  But the upgraded sound on this reissue really brought new life to the album for me and I like it now more than I ever did.

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 1448
Registration date : 2018-04-12

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2023 3:06 am

Applehead and Lacey Sturm were the standouts IMO. Also Theocracy .

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2023 11:54 am

1.  Applehead - The Light Side Of The Apple
2.  Martin Simson's Destroyer of Death - Eternal Reign
3.  Bride - Are You Awake?
4.  Rose - Masquerade
5.  Exodus A.D. - Anthology I
6.  Exodus A.D. - Anthology II
7.  Flames Of Fire - Our Blessed Hope
8.  Narnia - Ghost Town
9.  Lordchain Praise - Miracles of Mercy EP (Would have scored higher if full length)
10. Mission Of One - Kill The Kobra  (yeah, I realize it's my project, but I really like this record!)
11. Kalamity Kills S/T
12. Disciple - Skeleton Psalms

Other good releases that are honorable mentions were the Amethyst album, Lacey Sturm's new release, Joshua's Creed, and Jackstrawed.  If I added the secular scene, the new Hurricane and Dokken albums are also good.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2023 11:57 am

Thank you!  I used my Spark 40 for amp modeling to record this.  I used both a Nita Strauss/Alice Cooper tone for one channel and Bruce Kulick from his KISS years on the other.  I got a big fat sound this way with very little phase issues.  Next time, I am probably keeping with Nita's sound more and just using different pickups on the guitar for the tone unless I am shooting for a sound that would seem like to separate players like KISS does.

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2023 12:12 pm

I haven't done a top ten, but my top album is Bride - Are You Awake.  Love this record.  Yes, not too keen on the last two tracks, but in my head I can replace those with the 2 new ones on the EP.  That way it's a top album.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.

Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 5:42 am

I see that you all have bought cool music in 2023.

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 8:41 am

Thinking about it, I don't believe I've got 10 new albums this year...

Mission Of One
Joshua's Creed
Theocracy
Bride (new album)
Bride (new EP)
Bride (acoustic)
Disciple

That may be it...

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.

Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Pethead

Pethead

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2021-01-30

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 4:22 pm

Gotta work on my list. Lot of good stuff this year.

Surprised to see Destroyer of Death so high for so many. I thought it was solid, but needed stronger hooks.
Back to top Go down
Pethead

Pethead

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2021-01-30

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 4:30 pm

AotY:
Theocracy: Mosaic

2–10 (No particular order):
Narnia: Ghost Town
Adorned Graves: The Earth Hath Opened Her Mouth
Disciple: Skeleton Psalms 
Sacrificium: Martyrium
Ritual Servant: Albus Mendacium 
Bride: Are You Awake
Applehead: The Light Side of the Apple
Kalamity Kills s/t
IronWrath: Master Storyteller

Honorable Mention: 
Wytch Hazel: Sacrament

A lot of other good stuff this year, as well.

alldatndensum likes this post

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2024 1:18 pm

Fundy wrote:
I haven't done a top ten, but my top album is Bride - Are You Awake.  Love this record.  Yes, not too keen on the last two tracks, but in my head I can replace those with the 2 new ones on the EP.  That way it's a top album.

I added the EP tracks to the end of the album.  It ends kind of slow that way, though.  Those weren't as good to me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorites for 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorites for 2023   Favorites for 2023 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorites for 2023
Page 1 of 1