Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How open to other styles of music are you?

Go down 
+11
MikeInFla
Jen5
Fundy
Through The Dark Radio
messiaen77
rockerVu2
bassdude
Pro-Zak
Xid
Staybrite
alldatndensum
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

How diverse are your musical tastes?
I only do metal. I am metal!!!
How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I like a few things beyond metal but don't venture too far away.
How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap41%How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 41% [ 7 ]
I am all over the place musically and listen to as much non-metal as I do metal.
How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap59%How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 59% [ 10 ]
I really only like a few metal bands and rarely listen to those.
How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
Pro-Zak

Pro-Zak

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2013-08-03

How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 pm

The Carpenters had the first "power ballad!"
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 am

That is super cool!

JLE3

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2016-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 8:06 am

I find that I listen to a lot of stuff in many genres. But I am more a fan of someone who is very talented vs the genre they are in if that makes sense. For example I would not consider myself a fan of rap music but there are a few songs out there that really have interesting and well thought out lyrics. I wouldn't consider myself a die hard fan of Americana either but again there are some songs that are so well written that I love them because of it. 

I like a lot of classic rock stuff but oddly I have never been a Beatles or Rolling Stones fan, like ever. Something about those two bands that I just don't get.

Metal is probably my number 1 go to genre. But to be honest I've probably listened to The Cure's Disintegration just as many times as I've listened to Megadeth's Rust in Peace. Both amazing albums but completely different genres.
Back to top Go down
http://www.evansandstokes.com
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 8:23 am

Jen5 wrote:
bassdude wrote:
I'm all over the place...I like most rock/metal subgenres, but avoid stuff that is sloppy, intentional or otherwise.
I love jazz, from 30s and 40s big band stuff up to modern smooth jazz.
I like praise and worship music that is a bit adventurous, leaving room for musicians to worship as well as the singers.
Not a fan of country or rap, with the exception of some rap/rock hybrid bands.
Now I never expected anyone here to be in to 30s jazz. I love 30s jazz. Check out my soundcloud, bassdude. I've got a couple 30s jazz tunes posted there.

I've always been a rock/metal girl at the core, but my tastes are pretty varied. I'll listen to a pop tune next to a rap tune next to Mendelssohn's Fingals Cave next to T-Bone Walker (blues guitarist) next to Demon Hunter. As long as there's talent and taste, I'm on it. Don't put me in a box!   Smile

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
See, THIS is why I immediately liked you.  (Well, actually it was because you seemed so darn nice in those Soundcloud messages.)  I wrote my master's thesis on three Duke Ellington tunes.  The funny thing is, when I went to college, I hated jazz.  Then I roomed with a guy my sophomore year who listened to nothing but Chicago, The Beatles, Coltrane, Miles, Monk, and Bird.  The more I heard, the more I liked, and I eventually went out and bought a "best of" Stan Getz double disc.  BTW, I like that "The Night Belongs to Me" track a lot.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 am

JLE3 wrote:
I find that I listen to a lot of stuff in many genres. But I am more a fan of someone who is very talented vs the genre they are in if that makes sense. For example I would not consider myself a fan of rap music but there are a few songs out there that really have interesting and well thought out lyrics. I wouldn't consider myself a die hard fan of Americana either but again there are some songs that are so well written that I love them because of it. 

I like a lot of classic rock stuff but oddly I have never been a Beatles or Rolling Stones fan, like ever. Something about those two bands that I just don't get.

Metal is probably my number 1 go to genre. But to be honest I've probably listened to The Cure's Disintegration just as many times as I've listened to Megadeth's Rust in Peace. Both amazing albums but completely different genres.
Totally get it.  I appreciate talent and craft much more than a particular style.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 8:36 am

Jen5 wrote:
bassdude wrote:
Quote :
I'll check it out....I used to play upright bass in jazz band in high school and college, we did a lot of Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, stuff like that, all the way up to Maynard Ferguson and Thelonius Monk. I'm sure I'll buy an upright at some point in the future, but I do sit in with some jazz guys on fretless sometimes for a riverboat dinner cruise in my home town.  

Thelonius Monk is my piano hero. The guy was legend. If you love upright bass, check out the antics of nz bass player, Geoff Fitzpatrick. Skip to the 3:00 minute mark and you'll see him playing the bass like a guitar and upside down...among other things. Guys hilarious....

MONK RULEZ!!!!!

If you don't want to watch the whole video, at least watch from about 1:50-3:00.  But do yourself a favor and check out the whole thing.

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 8:38 am

MikeInFla wrote:
I don't like rap at all but there is something about this song that I love. Haunting keyboard sound I guess but this is a cool song.

For me its the groove that that bassline and the vocals just fall into.  So deep its hard to get out.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 am

Xid wrote:
What kind of music do you play here?

We like both kinds:  Country AND Western.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 12:01 pm

I the last several months I discovered this hurdy gurdy artist from Germany and I am totally digging her music.  I found her youtube videos through an internet search I was doing of the instrument.

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 5:18 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
I wrote my master's thesis on three Duke Ellington tunes.  The funny thing is, when I went to college, I hated jazz.  Then I roomed with a guy my sophomore year who listened to nothing but Chicago, The Beatles, Coltrane, Miles, Monk, and Bird.  The more I heard, the more I liked, and I eventually went out and bought a "best of" Stan Getz double disc.  BTW, I like that "The Night Belongs to Me" track a lot.

Okay now you can't just say "three Duke Ellington tunes," Eric. Spill it dude.

I don't know how Stan Getz managed to get the tone he got. I don't think he ever did anything that didn't somehow come off as totally mellow, even when he was really working the keys. The Stan Getz tune that always sticks with me is "A Handful of Stars," largely because it makes me think noir and I'm a big noir fan...also "Like Someone in Love" for the same reason.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 5:27 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
MONK RULEZ!!!!!

If you don't want to watch the whole video, at least watch from about 1:50-3:00.  But do yourself a favor and check out the whole thing.

What a guy. Totally had his own thing going there. What I've never been able to figure out is how he plays so well with a flat hand. My teachers always had me play with curved fingers and a penny on top of each hand. If I dropped the penny, I had to start the song over again. {Groan!}
But Monk? Nope. Self taught wunderkind.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I the last several months I discovered this hurdy gurdy artist from Germany and I am totally digging her music.  I found her youtube videos through an internet search I was doing of the instrument.

Dig a Hurdy Gurdy.  Page & Plant, Gallows Pole with Hurdy Gurdy:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Xid wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
.....hurdy gurdy stuff...blah blah

Dig a Hurdy Gurdy.  Page & Plant, Gallows Pole with Hurdy Gurdy:

Oh wow, that was super cool!

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi. Just back from a weird journey through a new music genre. It all started with Staybrite's hurdy gurdy post. From that, I went to metal/hurdy gurdy combos, which, of course, took in folk metal. Fascinating stuff. From there, lol, I discovered that there is such a thing as pirate metal. I nearly peed myself folks as I listened to a guy using core vocals to sing "yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me" (I kid you not). Then that led me full circle back to Gary's gal Patty Gurdy singing and playing in folk metal pirate band, Storm Seeker. Very enjoyable trip. Thanks Gary. Now I want one.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Eluveitie is great for hurdy gurdy/folk metal.....Alestorm is probably the goofiest pirate metal there is, it's obvious they don't take themselves seriously AT ALL!
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 8:48 pm

bassdude wrote:
Eluveitie is great for hurdy gurdy/folk metal.....Alestorm is probably the goofiest pirate metal there is, it's obvious they don't take themselves seriously AT ALL!
Yeah. It was Alestorm that gave me the giggles. Argh! Ahoy! Yo-ho!
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 am

Cat O' Nine Tails is another good pirate metal band.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Jen5 wrote:
Hi. Just back from a weird journey through a new music genre. It all started with Staybrite's hurdy gurdy post. From that, I went to metal/hurdy gurdy combos, which, of course, took in folk metal. Fascinating stuff. From there, lol, I discovered that there is such a thing as pirate metal. I nearly peed myself folks as I listened to a guy using core vocals to sing "yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me" (I kid you not). Then that led me full circle back to Gary's gal Patty Gurdy singing and playing in folk metal pirate band, Storm Seeker. Very enjoyable trip. Thanks Gary. Now I want one.

Nice to hear I could drag someone down the musical rabbit hole with me!  lol!

ChristTrekker

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2017-02-13

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 2:33 pm

A high-school friend of mine (more friend of a friend, but we happened to be locker neighbors) was my first introduction to metal, and I knew he played bass. Eventually he became a luthier professionally, and last I heard he switched from bass to hurdy gurdy as his main instrument. I should get back in touch with him; I bet he knows all about those groups.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Yes I am a full on metal head....

however these days I listen to a lot of non metal... mostly piano (George Winston), instrumental "new age" stuff Windham Hill stuff... jazzy stuff... yanni... old school CCM... not a rap fan or big country guy at all...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 2:52 pm

ChristTrekker wrote:
A high-school friend of mine (more friend of a friend, but we happened to be locker neighbors) was my first introduction to metal, and I knew he played bass. Eventually he became a luthier professionally, and last I heard he switched from bass to hurdy gurdy as his main instrument. I should get back in touch with him; I bet he knows all about those groups.

Cool!

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 7:58 am

Jen5 wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:
I wrote my master's thesis on three Duke Ellington tunes.  The funny thing is, when I went to college, I hated jazz.  Then I roomed with a guy my sophomore year who listened to nothing but Chicago, The Beatles, Coltrane, Miles, Monk, and Bird.  The more I heard, the more I liked, and I eventually went out and bought a "best of" Stan Getz double disc.  BTW, I like that "The Night Belongs to Me" track a lot.

I don't know how Stan Getz managed to get the tone he got. I don't think he ever did anything that didn't somehow come off as totally mellow, even when he was really working the keys. The Stan Getz tune that always sticks with me is "A Handful of Stars," largely because it makes me think noir and I'm a big noir fan...also "Like Someone in Love" for the same reason.
"East St. Louis Toodle-O," "Cotton Tail," "Oclupaca."  I was tracing the development of his compositional style over his career.  Sax tone is largely the same as vocal tone.  A lot of it comes from the shape of the mouth when you play.  Getz had the best tone.  That's always the tone I aim for.  Of course I was trying to play like Getz in a Coltrane world...
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 8:02 am

Music styles and me never have been good friends.
I listen and let my ears tell me what I like.

It's hard to say I like this style or that style.
Sometimes you're in the mood for metal and very hard and sometimes it are songs from church.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 11:50 am

mr.electric40 wrote:
Yes I am a full on metal head....

however these days I listen to a lot of non metal... mostly piano (George Winston), instrumental "new age" stuff Windham Hill stuff... jazzy stuff... yanni... old school CCM... not a rap fan or big country guy at all...

I know this isn't what you meant, but I instantly thought of this song.

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 3:21 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Jen5 wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

"East St. Louis Toodle-O," "Cotton Tail," "Oclupaca."  I was tracing the development of his compositional style over his career.  Sax tone is largely the same as vocal tone.  A lot of it comes from the shape of the mouth when you play.  Getz had the best tone.  That's always the tone I aim for.  Of course I was trying to play like Getz in a Coltrane world...
At least trying to play like Getz in a Coltrane world is better than in a Kenny G world  Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How open to other styles of music are you?   How open to other styles of music are you? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How open to other styles of music are you?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next