Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music styles.

Go down 
+7
Guilty/Forgiven
dale434445
Staybrite
alldatndensum
Dreams
Bsax
rockerVu2
11 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Am I the only person here on CHM who's having heavy problems with music styles?

Some of us are so very good in place a band in a music style and describe that.
Time to teach me a bit more of all the different music styles in the Christian Hard Music.

There's one thing I have wondered about.
That's black metal, meant to glorify satan.
However can that music style be used for Christian metal?

Is there a trend in music styles from now and let's say 15 years ago?
Back to top Go down
Bsax

Bsax

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 4:19 pm

I actually have a good deal of trouble with styles too.

For example you have something like CCM - Christian Contemporary Music, which i understand is generally lighter and more pop ish or folk-like but there are hard rock bands like Kutless that use lighter songs on their album. Does that mean if it's a contemporary band they *only* play lighter stuff? and if they are "hard" rock they mostly play heavy songs?

I also get confused at the differences in the types of metal and what is metal v.s. what is hard rock.

Not sure if this is the same at what you're getting at Yvonne, but hopefully it's still sort of on topic lol.
Back to top Go down
Dreams

Dreams

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm sure someone here will help you out with the genre definitions.

I think a lot of us here were around in the early days of Christian rock/metal, and have followed the evolution of Christian music over the last 30 years. As music has evolved there are some genres that have popped up that I absolutely do not support, and I firmly believe that Christians shouldn't be imitating them for any reason.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Quote :
There's one thing I have wondered about.
That's black metal, meant to glorify satan.
However can that music style be used for Christian metal?

If you're going to look at it like that, then you might as well throw out all Christian rock. Go research some of the quotes of the artists from the 60's and 70's. It was that music that really shifted the morality worldwide in a short amount of time. Culture was shaped by the music. So, it could be argued that many of those forms of music were made to glorify Satan. Should we toss it out just because the devil used something?

With black metal, or any style, I look at it that Christ is redeeming something that He made and Satan perverted whenever an artist uses that style to tell the world about Jesus.

As far as musical genres, I am just to the point of having two real genres:

A) I like it
B) I don't like it.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 11:49 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
As far as musical genres, I am just to the point of having two real genres:

A) I like it
B) I don't like it.

I'm starting to feel the same way.

Seems like things were much easier in the 70's and 80's there really was no distinction between "hard rock" and "heavy metal". Now it seems there are almosty as many different genres are there are bands. And much of the stuff that was considered "heavy metal" back in the 70's and 80's is no longer considered metal by most people.

I for one almost completely stay away from the bands with non-melodic vocals (black metal, death metal, and all of the "core" bands).

dale434445

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:38 am

Staybrite wrote:
I for one almost completely stay away from the bands with non-melodic vocals (black metal, death metal, and all of the "core" bands).

Same here, but I would also add overused double bass drum to the non-melodic vocals. I would really like groups like Harmony and Theocracy, but the double bass drumming ruins it for me.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 10:17 am

I do like some double bass drumming, but it is highly overused.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 2:20 pm

dale434445 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Same here, but I would also add overused double bass drum to the non-melodic vocals. I would really like groups like Harmony and Theocracy, but the double bass drumming ruins it for me.

I agree, I think I have had pretty much enough of that as well. It is ok once in a while but for it to dominate every song on the album it tends to get old really fast.

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 1:41 am

Rv2..christian black metal is actually referred to as unblack metal and there are several bands in this catagory.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Oooo another old thread resurrected!

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:32 am

wow this is an ancient one !! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 8:35 am

I have felt my tastes back away from thrash to (gasp) blues/jazz lately. A lot of my collection sits in sporadic use, while the rest gets frequent spins.

It might be the fact I've been studying blues with my bass lessons, and the jazz/swing of music class at school. Jazz is, for me, more fun to play than metal.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 am

Makes sense DBF. I listen metal, rap, some blues and jazz, but when I play guitar I strictly play country/western and folk music.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 9:42 am

This thread was started on September 25th 2009.
But I think it's not a problem to talk about this when it can help others with music styles.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 10:35 am

My styles have remained as eclectic as ever. It's easier to say what I don't like than to list what I do like. (btw I hate opera and twangy country)
Back to top Go down

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 12:28 pm

I hate rap, death metal, boy band, ccm and opera.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I hate rap, death metal, boy band, ccm and opera.

I actually like a little CCM (and just a few opera tunes) but other than that I'm right there with ya. I'm also not much of a jazz fan, I do like a little bit of blues but in small doses.

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Don't hate on rap!

Actually, most people's dislike of rap or opera (or any genre, really) is a lack of understanding of that genre. When I was a music major (before I changed to business) I had to take several music appreciation classes. That helped me learn a lot of things.

Don't get me wrong - I still don't care for some genres. I enjoy Italian opera, but most German opera is very depressing. I don't care for boy bands or death metal but I understand why they exist - they play to very similiar audiences...
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm still not very good in music styles.
I listen what my ears tell me what's good.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 6:43 pm

ishmael81 wrote:

Actually, most people's dislike of rap or opera (or any genre, really) is a lack of understanding of that genre. ...

Spoken like a true music snob (er uh I mean music major....yeah that's what I meant). Twisted Evil

bassdude

Number of posts : 614

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 9:13 pm

I was a music major.......and I still hate rap. I don't mind some opera.....as long as it's mixed with some metal a la Epica or Nightwish. I like death metal.......the more technical the better. .......and I'll take all the double bass drumming I can get.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Quote :
Actually, most people's dislike of rap or opera (or any genre, really)
is a lack of understanding of that genre. When I was a music major
(before I changed to business) I had to take several music appreciation
classes. That helped me learn a lot of things.

Not necessarily. I can tell you if a rapper is good at what he does and tell you if an opera singer's performance is superb. But, not everyone is wired to LIKE certain things. I understand how a VW Bug is made and runs, but I would never drive one. I understand turnip greens but hate the taste and consistency. With rap and opera, they just don't please me to hear. I listen to what I listen to because I connect with it on some sort of plane. I dislike those things that I just don't connect with.

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 2:10 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Quote :
Actually, most people's dislike of rap or opera (or any genre, really)
is a lack of understanding of that genre. When I was a music major
(before I changed to business) I had to take several music appreciation
classes. That helped me learn a lot of things.

Not necessarily. I can tell you if a rapper is good at what he does and tell you if an opera singer's performance is superb. But, not everyone is wired to LIKE certain things. I understand how a VW Bug is made and runs, but I would never drive one. I understand turnip greens but hate the taste and consistency. With rap and opera, they just don't please me to hear. I listen to what I listen to because I connect with it on some sort of plane. I dislike those things that I just don't connect with.

Yes, alldat is 100% correct. There is a big difference between "appreciating" a style and "liking" a style. Sometimes dislike is rooted in a lack of understanding or familiarity, but overcoming those things does not instantly equate to liking that style. I do not like mariachi. I will not like mariachi. I understand how it works and think there are some neat elements to it, but I do not like it. Opera I used to dislike strongly, but with familiarity and understanding I have progressed to appreciate and even like for some operas (I still don't consider myself an opera lover or liker, but I no longer find it to be a form of noise pollution.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Music styles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music styles.   Music styles. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music styles.
Page 1 of 1