Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Influences of secular music on Christian music.

Go down 
+2
alldatndensum
rockerVu2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Influences of secular music on Christian music. Empty
PostSubject: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 9:46 am

We all listened to secular music before we discovered the Christian music.
Is the choice of Christian music you are currently listening influenced by the secular bands you listened to?
Do you still listen to the same music styles as you did when you listened to secular bands?
It will be interesting talking about this with each other.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:46 am

I listen to a lot of the same styles I loved when I was doing secular music. Some of those artists also influence me as a musician. On the new Mission of One disc, there are a few songs that would fit well on an AC/DC album. But, since I have been into Christian music much longer than I was into secular, I'd say that most of my influences are now from the Christian scene.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:39 am

I listened to lots of secular rock, metal, rap, etc. as a kid and still enjoy some from time to time. And a lot of Christian artists we listen to listen to secular music so there's an indirect influence there, as well.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:37 pm

I grew up listening to and appreciating nearly every style of music in existence, with strong leanings towards rock and metal. When I came to faith, I was under the impression that everything of the world had to go, including ALL music that wasn't of God. I spent quite a while listening only to Maranatha! Praise music (which I still love) and some early Amy Grant, et al.
When I began to grow in grace and an understanding of my place and position in Christ, I opened up to the amazing wealth of Christian music of all genres.
So as far as this thread goes - yes, because before coming to faith, I had a deep passion for certain bands (way too many to list here), I sought out Christian bands that were of the same vein as Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Van Halen, Motley Crew, Night Ranger, Minor Threat, Anthrax, etc.
Since my early years, I've come to an understanding about "music" in general (that not every believer shares), I love my Christian bands that sound similar or identical to those secular bands I used to love... but I now have quite the collection of songs by those old secular bands as well (having a strong criteria when it comes to lyrics).
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 3:48 pm

I listened to a lot of metal, and classic rock from secular bands and that seems to be what I enjoy most in Christian music as well. I went from Judas Priest and Iron Maiden to Sain't & Sacred Warrior.

But in college I also liked a lot of popular alt rock and radio type rock (Screaming Trees, Chris Isaak, The Posies etc.), but I can't seem to find much in the Christian scene regarding that type of music that I seem to enjoy much.

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Listened to secular hard rock bands.
Now I listen to Christian hard rock bands.
I don't care for the secular hard rock bands anymore.
I really like the Christian hard rock bands.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 8:19 am

rockerVu2 wrote:
Is the choice of Christian music you are currently listening influenced by the secular bands you listened to?
Yes, in general. I haven't changed the genres I like except that I never listened to secular P&W! Razz I'm frustrated by not being able to find suitable replacements sometimes (eg, a Christian King Diamond - LOL), but on the other hand there are ones in the Christian scene that don't have duplicates in the secular scene (that I was aware of at least).
Quote :
Do you still listen to the same music styles as you did when you listened to secular bands?
Yep. However, a recent thread made me realize I have left behind some genres that I used to listen to quite a bit (eg, progressive rock). It also made me realize there's a big hole in Christian classic rock area. I've got a few "Jesus music" 70s albums that rock a bit, but there's very little like Deep Purple, Aerosmith, etc. - just some modern day bands like FOG made up of musicians that grew up on those bands.

Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 9:53 am

Quote :
but there's very little like Deep Purple, Aerosmith, etc
If any ! That's for sure. I too grew up spinning those LPs and though a lot of DP's music is innocuous to our faith, I recently listened to Aerosmith and they are just filthy on almost every song. Be nice to have a classic rock Christian band that had their sound.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:59 pm

I think the reason we don't see many Christian bands with that 70's metal sound is because Christian artist didn't start emulating hard rock or metal until the 80's (although Red Sea's Blood album has a heavy Deep Purple vibe). It would be cool to hear a Christian band that had the 70's sound reminescent of Led Zepplin, The Who, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy etc.

Just though of Anthem's album Cuttin Thru. I think it has a strong 70's Heart kind of sound...so there are a few....but very few.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Influences of secular music on Christian music. 511963
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 12:06 am

I can see a little DP in Red Sea, but they remind me more of bands like Blackfoot or harder Skynyrd. They do sound like they could have come from the 70s.

rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 7:54 am

Have you found your favorite musicstyle(s) in the Christian music styles?
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 10:04 am

Just curious, who here has an actual Red Sea CD ?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 2:16 pm

ME!!!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Just curious, who here has an actual Red Sea CD ?

I have one too. Back when I got it (2005/2006) there seemed to be quite a few of them for sale on the web.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 4:25 pm

You guys suck.

Just kidding Laughing
I keep searching for one that's within a reasonable price... I have hope !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 8:56 pm

I still listen to all the secular bands I ever listened to and the Christian bands I listen to are somewhat influenced by the genre of the secular bands I listen to. I like mostly Glam/Hair bands, NWOBHM and power metal. So in a days time I might listen to Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Stryper, Daniel Band,,then back to Van Halen, etc.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 10:36 pm

There are a lot of secular bands that I loved the music from, but I just cannot support the lyrics or lifestyles of those artists. Most of the hair metal bands from the 80's that I liked were steeped in songs about sex (not necessarily with their wives, and I don't really want to hear about sex with their wives anyway), drugs & alcohol, partying, etc. They just had to go.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 12:40 am

Quote :
It would be cool to hear a Christian band that had the 70's sound
reminescent of Led Zepplin, The Who, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy etc.

Modest Attraction has a real 70s sound going on. I also thought New Jerusalem nailed the Zepplin Vibe. Then there's Greg Chaisson doing the ZZ Top Thing. I thought Brides Kinetic Faith had a real 70s vibe also.

This song nails Deep Purple/Rainbow..even the look of the band.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:09 am

I had forgotten about Modest Attraction. They do nail the Deep Purple vibe.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Influences of secular music on Christian music.   Influences of secular music on Christian music. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Influences of secular music on Christian music.
Page 1 of 1