Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Soldier - Babylon And Beyond

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Soldier - Babylon And Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 5:41 am

I did not order this, but I was wondering how it compared to the previous Soldier release several years ago.  Does it sound better?  Are those of you ordering it due to the bonus tracks?  Are there a bunch of the same songs again and again like on the Malachia release?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2018 11:06 am

I haven't had a chance to listen to it entirely yet.  There are some tracks reapeated a few times, but not quite to the extent that the Malachia album was (close though). 
The first disc (20 tracks), is the bands first two albums followed by their two tracks from the California Metal comp (I believe all of this was previously available).  The second album features 4 unreleased tracks, and the live Metal Mardigras show.

So among 34 tracks 14 of them are live.  With the exception of "Boderline" it looks like none of the studio tracks are repeated as studio tracks (but several of them are obviously repeated live).  The demo material sounds like demo material recorded in the 80's but the master sounded alright to me (but you have a much better ear than I do when it comes to that).

Not exactly sure how it compares to their rerelease from several years back as I don't think I ever had that.

I'm not a big fan of live music, and the few tracks I've heard hear didn't do anything to change that opinion.  Although if you like live recordings the second album tracks 5-14 are from the Metal Mardigras show and aren't horrible...actually pretty decent for 80's live stuff that hasn't been overdubbed (but the snare drum sound drives me batty.....but that doesn't seem to be uncommon in live recordings).

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2018 11:10 am

Oh yeah, and a couple of the live tracks are only available as their live versions (no studio version)

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2018 11:02 am

It's pretty cool hearing Babylon on vinyl.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm

So nobody but me and TTDR got this ablum?

Fundy

Number of posts : 5307
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 2:35 pm

I didn't.  In fact this year I'm way down on my CD purchasing list!  The ONLY one I've bought so far this year is Omega Highway's new (2012!) album.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Staybrite wrote:

We're the cool kids, Gary  Cool
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Fundy wrote:
I didn't.  In fact this year I'm way down on my CD purchasing list!  The ONLY one I've bought so far this year is Omega Highway's new (2012!) album.

Don't you usually average at least one CD a month?  That is down.

I only have five albums myself and that's counting the LordChain EP that Kelly gave away for free (great album too).  Three of them are reissues from Roxx Records.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

We're the cool kids, Gary  Cool

Golly jeepers, I always wanted to be one of the cool kids!  Woo

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2018 1:41 pm

I got mine yesterday and listened to it today.  I don't hear anything much different than the M8 version that came out many years ago.  On the tracks I already had, I really didn't gain anything.

With the live tracks, I found those to be too noisy to really listen to.  While they were cleaned up some, they were still not great live recordings.  I won't play those ever.

The four tracks that this band did but never released until now are what I bought this for.  I was not disappointed!  So, when I ripped the CD to MP3, I added those four tracks the first 13 on disc one for one super long record. 

While demo tracks and live recordings might be cool to some, I just really wish they'd stick to releasing either the remastered album only or adding only near studio quality songs.  I could do without all the filler tracks that are simply repeats of the same songs but often in descending quality.  With this album, though, you do gain 4 songs that are definitely high quality.  So, all in all, I would have to say that this anthology is much better than the Eternal Ryte and Malachia albums just in that respect.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 676
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 pm

I bought my copy... this was completely remastered ... the prior version was a sweep master where this version each track was done individually... I hear a lot more bass drum and the guitars are crunchier to my ears... More beefy...

Honestly the four "new tracks"... arent that great... there I said it...

Babylon isnt as boomy as it was before and the Cal Metal version of TEARS is 1000xs better, much heavier...

Just my own two cents and observations...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soldier - Babylon And Beyond   Soldier - Babylon And Beyond I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soldier - Babylon And Beyond
Page 1 of 1