Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Holy Soldier.

Go down 
+6
mr.electric40
Staybrite
Fundy
elsid
alldatndensum
rockerVu2
10 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:43 am

I'm spittin' a bit in bands like Holy Soldier.
I'm curious to know what do you think of this band?
You like them? You don't like them?
What's your favorite CD of Holy Soldier?
When I see the hair style of the Holy Soldier members I think they played hair
metal.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:45 am

I loved Holy Soldier! Of the two albums they did, though, I prefer "Last Train". The sound was better overall, and the music showed a lot of maturity to me. But, there were things going on in my life that this seemed to speak to at the time--especially the passing of my Mom. (That was really a Tuesday morning.)

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:53 am

It's special when you find songs that mean a lot to you in rough times.
I had the same with "Sea Of Faces"of Kutless when my dad pasted away and we drove to the hospital every day.

For me it's God who showed us those songs to help us through a rough time.
Back to top Go down
elsid

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 1:25 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I loved Holy Soldier! Of the two albums they did, though, I prefer "Last Train". The sound was better overall, and the music showed a lot of maturity to me. But, there were things going on in my life that this seemed to speak to at the time--especially the passing of my Mom. (That was really a Tuesday morning.)

Are you just speaking of the two "glam/hair metal" albums? I liked both of those, but also was a fan of Promise Man, with a more alternative/grunge feel and a new singer. Encore wasn't all that bad with both singers on it.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 6:37 pm

S/T was my favourite, although Last Train did have some superior tracks on it. But for pure hair style and image, the first one was top of the pile. Promise Man was okay, but not to my style.

And as for Steven, my favourite song by him is (and this is EASILY his best song) Run Like The Devil.
Best title for a song, is Hell On Wheels

Good stuff!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Loved the first two albums with "Last Train" being my favorite (just by a hair). I like some of the stuff on "Promise Man" but for the most part it was too "mellow" for me. I actually like how the Promise Man tracks sound on the live "Encore" album better than the studio versions.
I would like to hear the band do something musically more like the first two albums but with Eric Wayne (from Promise Man) on vocals.

Admin
alldatndensum

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 10:50 pm

elsid wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

Are you just speaking of the two "glam/hair metal" albums? I liked both of those, but also was a fan of Promise Man, with a more alternative/grunge feel and a new singer. Encore wasn't all that bad with both singers on it.

I like "Promise Man", but it just wasn't Holy Soldier. It sounded and felt nothing like the original band--even though it was. I've never heard "Encore". To me, the first two albums are really the only TRUE Holy Soldier discs.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:48 pm

I liked their first two discs. I really liked their version of Gimme Shelter..

Holy Soldier. Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 12:02 am

One of my all time favorite bands. I would say Last Train was my favorite. To bad there was only 9 songs on the album. "Run Like the Devil" really seemed like it was a left off track. Promise Man was ok for what it was, a new musical direction. Not bad, but not my favorite. Encore was good for a live album. If ya listen thou, you notice a significant difference in Stevens voice then from the first 2 albums.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:46 am

Yes, you're right. If Steven's vocals have changed then there isn't much of a chance of them getting together and doing something similar to their first 2.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 4:48 pm

mr.electric40 wrote:
I liked their first two discs. I really liked their version of Gimme Shelter..

Holy Soldier. Icon_twisted

Agreed, fantastic cover tune.

Admin
alldatndensum

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:25 pm

When I was still in my old band Stressin' several years ago, we used to do Holy Soldier's version of that song occasionally. After the solo, the song goes back into the guitar riff that opened the song. We would, however, morph into the intro of the P&W song "I Walk By Faith". It was a nice transition, and it really worked well doing these two songs in a biker church! They loved it!

Back to top Go down
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
When I was still in my old band Stressin' several years ago, we used to do Holy Soldier's version of that song occasionally. After the solo, the song goes back into the guitar riff that opened the song. We would, however, morph into the intro of the P&W song "I Walk By Faith". It was a nice transition, and it really worked well doing these two songs in a biker church! They loved it!

That's cool!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

That does sound very cool!

777rocker

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2007-07-25

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 4:18 pm

My favorite was the first S/T album and being a part of the live performance of Encore wich was veeeeeery cool to see Eric and Steven sharing one stage was one of my favorites too. Sad that they haven't played in years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/marcpiras

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Were The First 2 albums released on Vinyl?
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 6:48 pm

I believe the first one was but not the second. Or maybe I dreamed I saw the vinyl, I dunno but I think the first one was on vinyl. Don't know why I would dream that tho.  Question
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Some info here:

Holy Solider Vinyl
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 7:01 am

I like the heaviness of the s/t album, but the production and sound quality of Last Train. I love both albums, but I do find that I wish Last Train had more of the heavy riffs from the s/t. Think of the opening riffs of Stranger and See No Evil...there's nothing like that on Last Train. The closest it gets is probably Fairweather Friend, which is an awesome riff in its own right, but I just wish they'd kept that heavier edge.

As for Promise Man - it did sound like a completely different band, but I still enjoy it. The lyrics on that one are excellent. The riff on the title track is heavy as stink.
Back to top Go down

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 11:17 am

Actually i have a love/hate with the first 2 albums...the first album had some good songs but some of the lyrics I didn't like and for both of them sometimes Steven's voice really got on my nerves... The 3d album is a totally different album with a very grunge thing going on..I liked the lyrics, music and vocals on this album alot..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Holy Soldier. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier.   Holy Soldier. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Holy Soldier.
Page 1 of 1