Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your ideas over the current Christian music.

Go down 
+2
Staybrite
rockerVu2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Your ideas over the current Christian music. Empty
PostSubject: Your ideas over the current Christian music.   Your ideas over the current Christian music. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 9:58 am

What are your ideas about the current Christian music?
Do you think the economic crisis, this branch of music has influenced?
What do you think of solving the current texts that the band write?
And the music?
I have chosen not to make a poll of this thread.
So everyone his / her ideas can give.

I'm curious what you think of this. and if you see the difference in the Christian bands of 10 to 20 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Your ideas over the current Christian music.   Your ideas over the current Christian music. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

It actually seems like there are more bands than there were just 10 years ago.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Your ideas over the current Christian music.   Your ideas over the current Christian music. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:06 am

I agree with you.

Maybe this is not an interesting thread?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your ideas over the current Christian music.   Your ideas over the current Christian music. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 am

I think there are alot more bands now "claiming" to be Christian bands...some are and some are not.
I enjoy there are alot more bands from Europe especially in the power metal genere...I wish there were more bands in the hair/sleaze category. It seems to me that some of the european bands like Golden Resurrection and the old Narnia had better and more bold and uplifting lyrics than many of the American bands I see and hear. I think the mainstream radio and tour circuts are much more open to bands that are Christian.
There also is alot of remastering the old albums from the 80s and 90s going on and I am happy for that.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Your ideas over the current Christian music.   Your ideas over the current Christian music. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 pm

I sensed and read about more of a joy and excitement about salvation and following Christ in the music of the 70s, 80s and even 90s.

There are a few that have that joy and excitement today, but it seems as though the vast majority of music under the Christian label today don't seem to have anything spiritually "infectous". Even Praise and Worship albums in the last few years just seem to be a fulfillment of a contract.

I was reading the history of Christian rock recently, and what caught my attention was a section on Undercover. They seem to be the standard - Brand new on the scene- cranking out EXCITING and SIMPLE music about loving Jesus, then personal tragedy and difficulties entered the band member's lives... they began to move away from simplicity into more of a darker, melancholy style, not just in sound, but in lyric. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as this is art, and art reflects life.
I personally love the entire Undercover collection, but the early works were infectous and showed a child-like faith that we all need to have.

That's just an example using one band. But it seems to me that, besides a massive melding together with the pop music of the world (which is also not a bad thing, since the beginnings when DCTalk, Leslie Phillips, Switchfoot etc began to enter the world of Crossover hits, more of the Gospel was available to the masses) - it seems today we can have entire threads asking "Is so-and-so a Christian band?" when pre-90s, things were black and white. You knew if a band was Christian or not - testimonies, Scripture, evangelism and just a raw love for Jesus was clear enough to upset any non-believer.
Secondly, Christian labels have followed the latest styles of music with their cryptic, non-sensical lyrics masquerading as poetry, and musical styles that are devoid of joy, simplicity and levity. Much of (not ALL) today's sounds are very down and depressing - apparently that sells. And if it sells, that's what will be manufactured.

Again, I'm not saying all of this is the case across the board - there are a few here and there that are upbeat and on fire for God (esp the entire genre of Praise and Worship - which is a different topic altogether*). I'm just comparing the last 15 years with the early pioneer bands of Christian music.

* P&W has many of the elements of "exciting Christianity", but is desparately lacking in originality.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Your ideas over the current Christian music.   Your ideas over the current Christian music. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 1:56 pm

why do you think I read lyrics before I listen? there are a lot of bands I don't listen to which are "christian" but lyrics are just so flat.. sound no different than anything outside "christian music" .. except a few small references here and there.. I'm sure they have their place but not in my collection or in the ears of me or my family. Music is a powerful thing and the message that we hear should be a potent one to encourage us in our faith... I'm tired of music as merely entertainment. It's alright to be entertained.. but, where does it end? When does my enjoyment cease to be as important as my faith?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Your ideas over the current Christian music.   Your ideas over the current Christian music. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm with unworthy and G/F. I'd rather listen to 10 bands who have amazing lyrics and are good musically than 100 bands that are good musically but the lyrics suck.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Your ideas over the current Christian music.   Your ideas over the current Christian music. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:11 pm

What are your ideas about the current Christian music?
See the lyrics/music section for some ideas.

Do you think the economic crisis, this branch of music has influenced?
I don't really think so. I'm no economist so I really don't have a clue.

What do you think of solving the current texts that the band write?
If by texts you mean lyrics, then some bands are getting deeper and some shallower, as I pointed out earlier. Some bands are more poetic, some more evangelical, and some seek to simply sing out the Bible. Myself, I want to write creative and poetic lyrics with Biblical themes, be they about the Gospel or just about the whole thing. [not to mention I want to write in French too Twisted Evil]

Finally, I've noticed less epic progressive songwriting and more "straightforward" structures. Lyrically it's easier but I enjoy intricate music/lyrics.

And the music?
Production has way improved recently, and it's easier to make music, because thanks to computer programs anyone can program drums/bass/keys, play a guitar and fix the timing with the computer, and record vocals with autotune. Super easy (and I've recorded a couple demos by programming drums and keys, playing bass and guitar, adjusting timing, and now I need lyrics/vocals).

Take ApologetiX - G/F was saying over at CMR that they used to play really loose and the production basically stank; nowadays, the sonics are excellent. And with a meagre budget one can get good sound out of a basic home studio. So musically speaking, things are a lot easier and better than they used to be.

So basically, it's way easier to make music in the digital era. Pop artists have taken advantage of it to turn out junk quicker, and "real" artists have used it to make the process easier and to get even better sound for less.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your ideas over the current Christian music.   Your ideas over the current Christian music. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your ideas over the current Christian music.
Page 1 of 1