Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

rage of angels

Go down 
+5
messiaen77
bassdude
Fundy
Follower of Jesus
Staybrite
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 1:59 am

So I did a search and couldn't find a thread on rage of angels. I have their album on cd and the heavens metal issue with them on the cover and the main story. Discuss...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 2:35 am

Great "one-off" album. I really wish they would have stuck around and put out a second one.

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 7:43 am

I like this album, but it almost feels like I'm listening to a secular record because of how the guys' actions after this went. The lead singer went on to Pyn Siren, a profanity-laced metal band. Two other members went on to Steelheart, a band with some sexual content. I can't know their hearts, but it's almost like they weren't Christians, and RoA was just a gimmick to get out into the crowded hair metal market in the late 80s.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5307
Registration date : 2007-05-04

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:42 am

I love the album and kind of wish they carried on a bit more. Trouble is the christian metal market has always been littered with problems all the way through, and ROA just happened to end up in one of those problems. The interview in HM double album with the ROA guys was interesting, and quite sad. Whilst I wish they'd have done more I am just so pleased they managed to get out an album as good as their S/T one.
It's never been in my top ten, but I think they could have had a good career in the Christian metal world if they'd have come in with a different approach. If you expect to get nothing in return (moneywise) from all your hard work then if somehow you actually do get a bit of cash then it's a good thing. If you expect to get money then it's generally gonna end badly!

Still, great album and one I'm happy to own.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 12:03 pm

I don't know that we'll ever know the whole story on this band, but it is a great album.
Back to top Go down

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 4:09 pm

I really like the rage of angels album. I like the Steelheart and Pyn Siren albums as well. I thought the saddest part of the rage of angels story is the way the Christian record industry treated them. I see this all the time with Christian labels. I think the label gave them no support or money. Personally I would not even consider a Christian label or really want to be in a "Christian" band..I would rather be in a positive secular band where my Christian values could shine. I also thought the article in HM was slanted and that Doug was way out of line and judgmental when he interviewed them. (Sometimes when Doug interviews artist he comes across as very legalistic to me. Just because he may have a different theological view than the artist doesn't mean they are not saved. My view is way different than some of yours but we are all still brothers and sisters.) I actually think the steelheart albums are better than the rage of angels album...but I enjoy secular music. Very Happy
It would have been interesting to see what Rage of Angels would have come up with if they would have been on a major label with good backing and $.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 11:20 pm

I think the same thing happened with them that happened to a lot of "Christian" bands back in the day. They were baby christians, with little depth or spiritual grounding, not being held accountable by someone in pastoral leadership, and simply could not maintain their spiritual focus through all the pressures and trials of being in a band, especially a band that everyone had such high expectations of.
Back to top Go down

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 pm

That's why baby Christians should not be thrust into ministry. I think the Bible says something like that...
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
That's why baby Christians should not be thrust into ministry. I think the Bible says something like that...

I agree completely! I have seen too many new Christians, on fire with zeal and enthusiasm, burn out within months because they were pushed into ministry positions they were not ready for. Many walk away from God entirely, discouraged and defeated.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 9:07 pm

I thought ROA was the best Christian metal band of its style of the time, even better than Stryper.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:22 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
I thought ROA was the best Christian metal band of its style of the time, even better than Stryper.

I agree, Stryper didn't have the chops to keep up with ROA, those guys were all top-notch.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 5:41 pm

bassdude wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

I agree, Stryper didn't have the chops to keep up with ROA, those guys were all top-notch.

You're being sarcastic, right? You have to be high to truly believe this. affraid
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
bassdude wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

You're being sarcastic, right? You have to be high to truly believe this. affraid

No, I'm serious. When I bought Stryper albums back in the day, I could have all the bass, guitar rhythms and solos, and all the backing vox learned with 2 weeks.........ROA took me a lot longer, much more difficult music IMO.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:30 am

Never heard it but would love to. There's a bunch of hype about them and after hearing bassdude's opinion, I'm even more interested. Stryper always bored me.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 10:29 am

Wow not a lot of love for Stryper in this thread. While I admit that the ROA album was good, I dont think it eclipsed Strypers better work.

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Quote :
While I admit that the ROA album was good, I dont think it eclipsed Strypers better work.

I agree...but I do think some of Whitecross's albums did eclipse stryper. The thing with stryper , for me, is I never saw them as a "Christian" band. I saw them as just another metal band...where the members were Christians and that effected their lyrics. (thats also how I have always viewed Barren Cross) I never saw them as a "ministry" band like I did whitecross, petra, rez and the Daniel band...
Actually those are the only Christian bands I had ever heard of till the 90s. I always preferred secular bands when I was a teen and a young adult. I only heard of and bought Rage Of Angels about 3 years ago.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Wow not a lot of love for Stryper in this thread. While I admit that the ROA album was good, I dont think it eclipsed Strypers better work.

I'm not saying Stryper is bad........just that they write simple music. I love Stryper as much as anyone who was into Christian metal in the early days.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:11 am

bassdude wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

I'm not saying Stryper is bad........just that they write simple music. I love Stryper as much as anyone who was into Christian metal in the early days.

I cut my metal teeth on Stryper as a kid, along with Tourniquet. But as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate other artists more and don't even really listen to those two that much anymore.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 12:36 pm

So I listened to some youtube videos and this album does sound great. I then went to Amazon and the cheapest CD copy is $82.

Nevermind.
Back to top Go down

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:56 pm

I still have my original cassette that I bought back in the day, but I've never upgraded to cd for that reason. No album is worth that kind of cash to me.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I still have my original cassette that I bought back in the day, but I've never upgraded to cd for that reason. No album is worth that kind of cash to me.

This.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 9:38 am

There's not much that I'd drop 82 bucks on.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Agreed. I think I spent like $25 bucks for a used copy (several years ago) and that was pretty much my limit. But I wouldn't have even done that if I had a cassette copy.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:01 pm

82 bucks for the Rage Of Angels CD.
Now that's expensive.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 5:01 pm

The highest I have ever spent on a CD was $35 and I won't do that ever again.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Sponsored content

rage of angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: rage of angels   rage of angels I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rage of angels
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next