Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The CD thread.

Go down 
+4
ChosenOne
Guilty/Forgiven
Staybrite
rockerVu2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:19 am

We all have CDs.
Do you buy only new CDs from your favorite bands, or you buy older CDs from your favorite bands?
Do you buy your CDs online, or do you buy them in a store too?
Do you listen first to samples of CDs you want to buy, or you buy them without listening?
Do you like it to try out new bands, or you only buy CDs from your favorite bands?
Do you prefer physical CDs or do you download MP3s too?
Do you buy your CDs from the same online stores, or you check out where the CD you want to order is cheap?

I'm interested to see all your answers.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:24 pm

I have almost quit buying cds in the last year (mostly now I purchase mp3 files). I can get more music for my money that way. (but I still do buy some cds)

I buy both new and old music from my favorite bands.

I almost never by music from a store anymore (95% of my purchase are online, even just counting cds).

I almost always listen to samples before buying anything anymore, unless it is something very cheap and I just can't find any samples (like older music).

I love to try new bands, and yes most of my purchases are MP3s.

I tend to buy most of my music from the same 2 or 3 online stores. I am a little paranoid about having my credit card number "on file" at thousands of different places.

(ok can anyone tell me how to keep this stupid thing from "double spacing" every time I hit the enter key to start a new sentence?...man that's annoying)

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Quote :
(ok can anyone tell me how to keep this stupid thing from "double spacing" every time I hit the enter key to start a new sentence?...man that's annoying)

Irritating isn't it !?!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Ya'all know about my digital conversion. Only CDs I have in the house are ApologetiX's entire collection. All I get are mp3s and if I find a CD in a bargain bin, I immediately rip it and donate it to the thrift shop.

I have bought more LP vinyl records in the last 3 years than CDs.

IMO CDs have gone the way of the VHS and Cassette.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 5:02 pm

BTW Mr Staybrite, try this: when you want to start a new line without it double spacing, hold the "shift" button down then hit "enter" - voila !
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 6:21 pm

Do you buy only new CDs from your favorite bands, or you buy older CDs from your favorite bands?
I buy both new and old. If it's an older cd I don't have, I will try and get it. Just recently got Angelica's s/t on cd. I've managed to get the back catalog of one of my favs in Idle Cure, D&K, Mylon, and so forth. Been on a kick thou in more the mainstream market (because I have a lot of older Christian metal) so I've been buying bands like Warrant,Poison, Night Ranger,etc.

Depends, I like a lot of the modern rock/hard rock out there and if I can find it in stores I'll buy it. For Christian cd's about all we have left is Family Christian, so I go there a lot. Otherwise, Amazon is where it's at.

Do you listen first to samples of CDs you want to buy, or you buy them without listening?

Depends on the band. Mostly if it's a Christian band and I see comparisons to my favorites like Skillet,Red,etc etc then I will sometimes buy on a whim. If it's a mainstream band, I usually try and find the lyrics first to see what they are. I try and avoid antyhing that that has a lot of cursing on it or a PA. Hence, I buy a lot of stuff from Wal-Mart as they sell edited ones

Do you like it to try out new bands, or you only buy CDs from your favorite bands?
I'm always on the lookout for new bands, especially Christian rock bands.

Physical cd's is what I prefer. Theres just something about them. I do download mp3's but mainly for indivdual songs or eps. I usually don't buy EP's in the physical form. I also don't put my cd's on the mp3 player either.

Do you buy your CDs from the same online stores, or you check out where the CD you want to order is cheap?

I usually try Amazon first because I can usually find what I am looking for. I use NEH Records for my more melodic mainstream stuff. I frequent as many used CD stores as I can or stores like Half-Price books. They are becoming scarse but we still have some around here. I don't care if it's used, as long as it plays
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 6:24 pm

If I like the CD, then I'll buy it, whether it's new or old.
I buy all my CD's online, as there's nothing I'm interested in in a store.
Always listen to them first.
I like to try out new bands.
I'm old school. I love having a physical CD in my hands that I know is mine. And I love looking at the artwork, reading the lyrics and the linear notes too. MP3's may be the only way to go in the end, but whilst CD's are available I'll be buying them.
Same stores really.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Quote :

I buy news CDs from my favorite bands, but rarely buy older ones from them. Why? I probably already have the older stuff.

Quote :

I would buy more from the stores, but most don't carry a lot of my style. Amazon is just easier. I buy mostly online nowadays.

Quote :

It depends on who it is. I would buy a disc from a favorite band in a heartbeat without samples. But, for new artists, those clips do make a difference in deciding if I would play something again. Online samples save me a lot of money these days.

Quote :

Old bands--new bands. BOTH!!!

Quote :

I still prefer the actual CD. However, I buy EPs as downloads. I am buying a few more downloads, but I still prefer that CD. I just am a nostalgic old fool who likes having something real to hold in my hand for my hard earned cash.

Quote :

I used to use several stores online, but some have gone out of business. Some, I just don't like their service and stopped using. I mostly order from Amazon these days with occasional orders through Divine Metal Distro.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 4:44 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
BTW Mr Staybrite, try this: when you want to start a new line without it double spacing, hold the "shift" button down then hit "enter" - voila !

Ok
it
works
but
what
a
hassle.

geek

rockerVu2

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 10:17 am

Quote :
I love to buy me CDs, but I'm interested in older stuff from bands I like too.

Quote :
I order my CDs online.

Quote :
I listen to samples first before I order CDs of new bands. And sometimes too when a favorite band will release a CD.

Quote :

It's cool to listen to music of new bands.
Quote :
I'm oldfashioned and like it to get CDs, I love to read the inserts and the lyrics.

Quote :
Sometimes I'm having problems to order CDs from online stores, then is Amazon cool to order from.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 12:25 pm

Quote :
Ok
it
works
but
what
a
hassle.

geek

No one likes a smart alec ! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Maybe I used the wrong words about ordering from online stores?
It's not I don't know how to order a CD.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 9:47 am

I've got a question...how should I get rid of my physical CDs now that I've converted to digital? I can't bring myself to throw them away, and I can't sell them and keep copies. I'm stuck with them!
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Give them all to me. I'll keep them safe Smile

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Quote :
I've got a question...how should I get rid of my physical CDs now that I've converted to digital? I can't bring myself to throw them away, and I can't sell them and keep copies. I'm stuck with them!
The ones with worth, hang on to them unless you don't have a problem selling them. The ones not worth much, DONATE to a thrift shop ! It's actually a great way to witness - I've read several blogs where ppl bought an album from a thrift store and discovered later that it was Christian, and they were actually surprised at how great the music was. This is what I've done with hundreds of CDs and I pray that someone hears the gospel via these CDs. It's possible.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 1:25 pm

The problem is that even if I donate them, if I keep a copy of the digital files (which I absolutely want to do), then I've stolen a copy. I can't do that. I'd love to do it, but I just don't see how I can.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 2:18 pm

This is a sticky issue with each individual- and a matter of conscience. I personally feel if you keep a copy and sell the original, there's some dishonesty and "theft"... but if you keep the digital files from a cd you purchased, then give the hardcopy to someone else, the artist still rcvd their pay. The person who buys the cd later at the thrift store for a couple bucks gets to enjoy the album and hear God's music (and may not be someone who could afford a new copy to begin with).
If your conscience has trouble with this - DON'T DO IT !
Most CDs I buy are from thrift stores, yard sales or used Amazon CDs, so the artist gets nothing in this process, therefore I have no problem ripping them and giving them back to the thrift shop or a family member.

Taking this one step further, I don't have a problem with trading copies to give them a listen... even new releases, if I listen to it and really love it, I will buy it (or purchase a download) so the artist makes his share. If I don't like it, it gets erased into oblivion. This is an area where I bet I'd get a lot of scowls..... but to each their own.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Quote :
I get whatever is good. Time is of no consequence in Christian Metal.

Quote :
Good luck finding Broken Silence in a modern store! But I occasionally score deals at thrift/pawn shops.

Quote :
I usually listen to samples, unless I'm in a store (in which case I look it up with my phone).

Quote :
I check out samplers like Heaven's Metal or the Summer Slam Sampler to find new stuff.

Quote :
All CDs for me, but I like checking out free downloads on iTunes.

Quote :
Often, Amazon is the cheapest for stuff from Retroactive Records, and I get Intense Millennium/Roxx stuff from their own store. But in case I get other kinds of CDs, I check out eBay and Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The CD thread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD thread.    The CD thread.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The CD thread.
Page 1 of 1