Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How do you feel about review sites?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicFan

AtomicFan

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2023-08-18

How do you feel about review sites? Empty
PostSubject: How do you feel about review sites?   How do you feel about review sites? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 1:44 am

I generally read a couple of different review sites to keep abreast of what is coming out, but I generally find most of the reviews useless to me. Some sites tend to be overly positive; some sites tend to be overly negative.

Also, I find it hard to trust a site where the person is provided free copies of the cd to review, as I believe that compromises the neutrality of the reviewer. I mean come on, if a reviewer totally rips apart a release, he may jeopardize their getting free stuff down the road..lol.

I remember Justin Murr telling me how every time he had a release coming out, he would get inundated with emails from every 2 bit review site begging for free cds.

So my question is, does anyone know of a review site done by fans for fans where...

1) The reviewer isn't supplied free material (I have seen review sites for secular music where they proudly show the receipts that they buy everything they review)

2) The reviewer doesn't do interviews with the talent, and doesn't have any connections or friendships with the artists.

Staybrite and Fundy like this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: How do you feel about review sites?   How do you feel about review sites? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 9:02 am

Angelic Warlord (run by a member of this board), seems to be a rather impartial site that doesn't tend to do a lot of interviews with artists.  The music reviews are in-depth and certainly well thought through.  I've been CD shopping with the board owner (once) and I can certainly vouch for the fact that he does purchase a lot of the music he reviews.

Part of the issue with getting those advanced reviews out (before the album is released) is that there isn't much of a way for the reviewer to get the music without asking for it from the artist (or record label).
But yeah, some of those review sites are like just looking through the comment section on Amazon.  It's either all one star and 5 star reviews.  Just one of the sad parts of the internet were too many people think they have the ability to constructively review music/books/movies when 90% of them don't.

AtomicFan likes this post

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How do you feel about review sites?   How do you feel about review sites? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 8:49 pm

Main issue with AW is his focus is pretty narrow.

I thought Scott Waters did a nice job with https://www.nolifetilmetal.com/cdlist.html
He doesn't give ratings, just his general thoughts. Wide range of music though more of the harder stuff like his band, and the majority of bands are not Christian either.

Staybrite, Fundy, Normaniac and AtomicFan like this post

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How do you feel about review sites?   How do you feel about review sites? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 7:51 pm

AW has been a great supporter of musicians.  They will take downloads or physical copies if you send them.  Andrew also tries to buy product from the bands as often as possible.

I don't have a problem with review sites asking for freebies.  However, I think as artists you have to be careful sending out product to just anyone.  You want to increase your reach, but you also have to realize that smaller review sites won't get the same traffic.  Maximize your reach by working with the biggest review sites you can find.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
AtomicFan

AtomicFan

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2023-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How do you feel about review sites?   How do you feel about review sites? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 9:26 pm

I like AW's site for news, but I find that I don't agree with a lot of his reviews (just a difference in personal taste, for example he liked the vocals in The Princess Project, whereas they made me nauseous  Shocked ).

But I highly respect what he does.

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you feel about review sites?   How do you feel about review sites? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you feel about review sites?
Page 1 of 1