Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Empire 21 review

Go down 
+3
alldatndensum
Staybrite
Dynamis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Hello,

The other week I received the pre-release promo music files for the upcoming self-titled Empire 21 album scheduled for release on November 28 (Europe) and December 2 (North America).  Since I was on vacation the past week and had a lot of extra time on my hands, I was able to complete work on three reviews (as opposed to just one): Mike Florio ("Reconcile"), Saint ("Warriors Of The Son 04" re-issue on Retroactive) and Empire 21.

Mike Florio is currently online and Saint should be online the middle of this week.  I decided to do something I have never done with Angelic Warlord and 'leak' a review before I plan to have it online (the review needs two more re-rewrites and will not be 'officially' online at Angelic Warlord until next weekend).  Hence, following is the official unofficial Angelic Warlord review of Empire 21 (keep in mind this is the first draft and subsequent re-writes might change the paragraph and sentence structure and some of the details:

If Sweden truly has a cornerstone Christian metal band, it is Narnia.  One could argue, of course, that Jerusalem, Leviticus, or even Veni Domine, are more suitable candidates, as each represents a significant milestone in their own right.  Jerusalem, for example, ranks alongside Rez Band and Petra as founding members of the early Christian hard rock scene.  Likewise, Leviticus stands out as one of the first Christian bands to experiment with a traditional metal-based sound, while the same applies to Veni Dominie but for the doom metal genre. 

But Narnia is different.  Due to the extensive list of other bands and projects in which its members have participated, its influence knows no bounds.  Vocalist Christian Liljegren gained renown for his involvement in Modest Attraction, Golden Resurrection and Divinefire in addition to side projects Audiovision, Flagship and Wisdom Call.  Guitarist Carl Johan Grimmark has had a similar impact, making guest appearances on albums by Saviour Machine, Rob Rock, Audiovision and Divinefire while also recordings albums with System Breakdown, Full Force and his new band Empire 21.

Empire 21 was founded by drummer Tobias Enbert and vocalist Germán Pascual, who where part of the Narnia line up that toured in 2009.  After Grimmark disbanded Narnia, Pascual fronted its final album Course Of A Generation (also 2009), he joined Empire 21 along with bassist Andreas Ålöv and keyboardist John Svensson.  Pascual later departed Empire 21 during the recording of its debut album and subsequently replaced by Ricard Hulteke.  The five-piece unit went on to release independently said self-titled album in the fall of 2014.

As one would imagine, Empire 21 draws heavily upon a Narnia influence, particularly when factoring how many of its core members spent significant time in the group.  In terms of specifics, if a fan of the group’s latter period, including the aforementioned Course Of A Generation and 2006 release Enter The Gate, you will find a lot to like in Empire 21.  The gist is a joining of melodic metal and power metal that places equal emphasis on the commercial leanings of the latter and heavier elements to the former.  It is not just Narnia, however, in that many of the Empire 21 riffs and melodies bring to mind Grimmark’s 2007 self-titled solo release and the first Audiovision album, The Calling, from 2005.  Some of the darker and more emotional Empire 21 moments even remind of Finland’s Mehida.

The first question to come to mind, obviously, is how does Hulteke compare to Pascual?  Whereas Pascual trends towards the higher end of things with a slight Dio quality to his delivery (his 2011 solo album A New Beginning gained him a wide fan base), Hulteke takes the more varied middle register approach.  Consider how on one hand he can smooth and even things out (and hint of Thomas Vikström in the process) but on the other reach down for some courser grit and gravel (similar to Mark Boals and Jamie Rowe).  Opener “When Your Falling” is a good representation of Hulteke abilities in this capacity, as he lends equal parts luster and backbone to a song that while not the albums most catchy proves a good representation of the Empire 21 sound with its raw edged heaviness.

Maintaining the guitar driven proclivity but in a more commercial format are “I Can’t”, interweaving placid verses with a catchy chorus approaching the anthem-like, and “All Is Lost”, heavier overall and with the same accessible proclivity playing a defining role.  “100 Nights” highlights a more pronounced keyboard flavor while not backing from the engaging hook emphasis and “This Is My Story” a joining of a darker and bottom heavy mid-paced edge with the trademark Empire 21 catchiness.  Radio friendly is the overall impression left by the four.

From a more intricate standpoint, the palatial “Empire 21” plays up a larger than life bass line and albums heaviest guitars (albums transparent production shines on this one), while “No Matter The Winds Of Change” kicks up the tempo to tumultuous guitar riffs and Hulteke’s driving vocal performance.  A symphonic power metal essence comes to the forefront either way.  Likewise, “Heard It All” lends a progressive edge in starting to grand piano and bass guitar driven verses prior to transitioning to the unrelenting hooks of its guitar friendly chorus.

Outside the box is “Traveler” in aligning periodic bluesy slide guitar with a power/progressive format: guitars remain sturdy and dogged while chorus smoothly but restlessly maneuvers.  In similar fashion, the forward keyboards to “Calling” bring an unexpected industrial tincture in aligning with militant guitar riffs and another unyieldingly catchy chorus.  The pair adds to the albums diversity.

Lone track not to do it for me is “Would You”, a basic and rudimentary (as far as Empire 21 are concerned) piece that lacks the hooks and technical fortitude of the better material here.  This is the only thing preventing a potential 90% score (or higher).  Speaking of which - and take this as more a suggestion as opposed to critique - perhaps Empire 21 could have further diversified its songwriting by better exploring its progressive side and delivered an epic in the 8 to 10 minute range.  A ballad would have also proved complementary, a particular that would fit Hulteke’s voice quite nicely.

Along similar lines, a full length instrumental allowing Grimmark, arguably one of the top guitarists in the power/prog scene, to showcase his licks and chops would be another good idea.  Hence, one can understand that one of my favorite aspects to the album is how is gives Grimmark ample opportunity to bestow his intricate soloing, which ranges from the fast fingered and expeditious to slower and bluesy (it is great to hear him back after being on the sideline the past several years!).

On its self-titled debut, Empire 21 joins equal parts heaviness and melody, an equation that works to perfection in the largely melodic metal and power metal based format.  Strengths in the areas of vocals and musicianship stand out equally in the process with songwriting largely consistent throughout.  Empire 21, accordingly, has been one of the more anticipated released in 2014 and certainly does not disappoint in this capacity.

Review by Andrew Rockwell

Track Listing: “When You’re Falling” (3:46), “I Can’t” (3:13), “All Is Lost” (3:43), “Traveler” (4:50), “Empire 21” (4:20), “100 Nights” (3:11), “Heard It All” (3:59), “This Is My Story” (3:33), “Calling” (4:31), “Would You” (2:56), “No Matter The Winds Of Change” (5:10)

Musicians
Ricard Hulteke - Lead Vocals
CJ Grimmark - Guitars
John Svensson - Keyboards
Andreas Ålöv - Bass
Tobias Enbert - Drums
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Dynamis

Dynamis

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Please let me know what you think- hopefully the review does not 'meander' too much.  Also, I did not go into detail about lyrics because the review was written off the music files, which came without liner notes.  Once the hard copy CD is released, I plan to revise the review with a paragraph about lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Very cool!!!  I'm stoked that you were willing to share a preview of the "rough draft" review with us.

I know you said it was just a draft but this section from the third paragraph left me slightly confused.

Dynamis wrote:
Pascual later departed Empire 21 during the recording of its debut album and subsequently was replaced by Ricard Hulteke.  The five-piece unit went on to release independently said self-titled album in the fall of 2014.
 I added the "was" in the first sentence as I expect that is what you intended.  If not, just ignore me... Laughing
At any rate I'm really looking forward to the album especially given your description of the music.

Dynamis

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Quote :
I added the "was" in the first sentence as I expect that is what you intended.  If not, just ignore me... Empire 21 review Icon_lol
At any rate I'm really looking forward to the album especially given your description of the music

Yes, you are correct in that I forgot to add the 'was' to the sentence in question.  It does read a bit awkward without it- thanks for pointing this out.  Next weekend I hope to have a review online of the new Harmony as well.  Perhaps I will also preview it here ahead of time (depending on how things go).
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 6:26 am

Hey, in Nashville, songwriters have a "one word" rule.  If someone adds one word to the song, they get equal writers credit and share of royalties.  So, this is now Gary's article, right?  LOL

I don't think that this really is fair, but in Nashville songwriting circles, they really DO that.  It's crazy, right?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Dynamis

Dynamis

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 9:12 am

Quote :
Hey, in Nashville, songwriters have a "one word" rule.  If someone adds one word to the song, they get equal writers credit and share of royalties.  So, this is now Gary's article, right?  LOL

I don't think that this really is fair, but in Nashville songwriting circles, they really DO that.  It's crazy, right?

OK, I was figuring I could add Gary's name to the credits at the end of the review.  However, where do I send the royalty check each month?  As I am sure everybody here knows, review writing is quite the lucrative enterprise.  As a matter of fact, Angelic Warlord will be announcing its IPO within the next couple months...
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks for sharing with us!  It's kinda cool to get the pre-review.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 am

It's very interesting to read more the background information about Emipre 21.
I often think all Christian musicins in Sweden are involved in the Swedish bands. 
 it's making me curious to read your revies over the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 10:19 am

Dynamis wrote:
Quote :

OK, I was figuring I could add Gary's name to the credits at the end of the review.  However, where do I send the royalty check each month?  As I am sure everybody here knows, review writing is quite the lucrative enterprise.  As a matter of fact, Angelic Warlord will be announcing its IPO within the next couple months...

Oh man please don't do that.  I know full well how lucrative writing can be...and if it was a fair equity exchange I would have to pay you for each word I edit!
lol!

Staybrite

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 am

alldatndensum wrote:

That sounds like something put together buy a recording artist who was tired of sharing the bulk of song-writing royalties with other band members or outside writers.  I can just see someone like Ozzy or Gene Simmons doing this, the other band members write 99% of the songs and he changes a few lyrics and get's equal song-writing credit!

Dynamis

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 7:01 pm

OK, so here is the final version to the Empire 21 review, which I just posted online: http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/e/empire2114.html

It reads a bit different but maintains the same general theme.  Next up are new albums from Harmony and Chaotic Resemblance.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 7:30 am

I'll be ordering this when it hits the USA.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Dynamis

Dynamis

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 8:44 am

Release date in North America is December 2, 2014.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 10:33 am

Dynamis wrote:
Also, I did not go into detail about lyrics because the review was written off the music files, which came without liner notes.  Once the hard copy CD is released, I plan to revise the review with a paragraph about lyrics.

I still don't see anything about lyrics. What are folks thoughts on them and how is this release holding up for you? I think it's the only one from 2014 that I might like but haven't gotten yet.

Dynamis

Dynamis

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Quote :
I still don't see anything about lyrics. What are folks thoughts on them and how is this release holding up for you? I think it's the only one from 2014 that I might like but haven't gotten yet.

I have not gone into detail about the Empire 21 lyrics due to difficulty in obtaining the CD version.  It has remained a hard to find and expensive European import.  However, I just checked and found some reasonably priced domestic CD versions on eBay.  So I am go to select the "Buy It Now" function and hope to have a revised review online as soon as the CD arrives.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction.
Back to top Go down
Neal_Morse_fan

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-02-05

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 3:54 pm

This is the first thing of your I've ever read Dynamis and, well, it makes me wanna pick up a copy of Empire 21.  So, mission accomplished!  Not that your goal is to help sell albums for artists, but the way you described it helped me realize it's something I'd be very interested in.  I'm really into Narnia, so I guess that's not a huge leap! Wink
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Quote :
This is the first thing of your I've ever read Dynamis and, well, it makes me wanna pick up a copy of Empire 21.  So, mission accomplished!  Not that your goal is to help sell albums for artists, but the way you described it helped me realize it's something I'd be very interested in.  I'm really into Narnia, so I guess that's not a huge leap!

Thank you- it always makes my day when someone is inspired to buy an album based upon one of my reviews. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Also, I forgot to mention I am soon going to begin work on a review of the new album from The Neal Morse Band, "The Grand Experiment".
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 8:20 am

Welcome to CHM Neal_Morse_Fan.
Back to top Go down
Neal_Morse_fan

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-02-05

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 am

Dynamis wrote:
Also, I forgot to mention I am soon going to begin work on a review of the new album from The Neal Morse Band, "The Grand Experiment".

Sweet!
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 am

That's interesting.
For me time to listen to some Neal Morse samples.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 10:34 pm

Here is a link to the updated "Empire 21" review with a breakdown of the lyrics: http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/e/empire2114.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Empire 21 review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Empire 21 review   Empire 21 review I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Empire 21 review
Page 1 of 1