Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Web design question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Web design question Empty
PostSubject: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 pm

I used to design websites with basic HTML and Java and stuff WAY back in the day. I miss having my own website for my music collection and Bible studies, but have no clue about how things are done today. Is it possible to host a site using old methods, or is it best to use the new diy sites?  Are they easy? Anyone in the know?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 8:24 pm

You can still use HTML to design sites.  WordPress seems to be the most popular design tool. As with everything, there is a learning curve.

Guilty/Forgiven likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 10:21 am

All I know is that Adobe Flashplayer is dead (although for some reason it keeps trying to update on my office computer any time I reboot).  
I don't know if he does web design or tech support (or both) but Topshot is a serious computer guy (like does it for a living) but he doesn't check the regular messages daily so your best bet to contact him might be with a PM. (do you like how I volunteered him without even asking him?  Laughing)

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 8:23 pm

Thanks for the info guys!  I have an old account I started with WIX. I may just learn their site and build one there.

What I'd like to do is take my old music collection website I created years ago and re-upload it to a host, but it's got old methods of html that probably won't be sufficient for the new versions. It still works on my PC, but I want it available wherever I go. Not sure what I'm gonna do...
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 pm

If you view your site on your computer with an up to date browser and it looks and works like it should, it should work anywhere it's hosted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3875
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 7:33 pm

Staybrite wrote:
(do you like how I volunteered him without even asking him?  Laughing)
Evil or Very Mad

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
What I'd like to do is take my old music collection website I created years ago and re-upload it to a host, but it's got old methods of html that probably won't be sufficient for the new versions. It still works on my PC, but I want it available wherever I go. Not sure what I'm gonna do...
HTML and JavaSCRIPT are still the basis for the web. Ideally you would make sure your stuff is HTML5 compliant, but it will still work for a long time with HTML4. Flash was discontinued because of security flaws.

You could paste your "code" into a validator and it will shows things that aren't kosher technically, but HTML is pretty forgiving in some areas.

If it looks right on your PC and you have only .htm/html files then you should be fine.

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm

^ That's the info I needed, thanks topshot!  I'm gonna run it through a validator and try to find a good place to host it. Thanks a lot !

topshot rhit likes this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2024 3:05 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
(do you like how I volunteered him without even asking him?  Laughing)
Evil or Very Mad

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
^ That's the info I needed, thanks topshot!  I'm gonna run it through a validator and try to find a good place to host it. Thanks a lot !

There, that wasn't too painful was it topshot!  lol! geek

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3875
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2024 7:31 pm

Certainly not as painful as others' attitudes on other topics. Rolling Eyes

Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2024 3:47 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Certainly not as painful as others' attitudes on other topics. Rolling Eyes

I understand.

PostSubject: Re: Web design question   Web design question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Web design question
Page 1 of 1