Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Let's talk about U2 for a moment...

Go down 
+4
LateFortheParty
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
nazpastor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Let's talk about U2 for a moment... Empty
PostSubject: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 9:25 am

OK, in the late 80's, U2 was one of those borderline "Christian Bands". I remember seeing an article about them in CCM magazine even, but from what I remember people were not quite sure if they were a "Christian Band" or not. Speculation as to their "Christianness" aside, how many of you have been touched by some of the songs of U2?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 9:28 am

I never really got into them. So, I can't say that any of their material ever meant anything to me or not.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 9:45 am

I never was a fan of the U2 music.
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:12 am

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Where the Streets Have No Name" are some of the most moving songs that I have ever heard. I realize they aren't metal, but those two songs from The Joshua Tree are some of my all-time favorite songs.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:03 pm

I remember those two songs well. I just never really thought much about what they were singing about, and at the time I was too hard headed in my musical choices to listen to them. So, I never made a connection with their music.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
LateFortheParty

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:23 pm

Gloria is the only U2 song that I have. It was a cool video on Mtv, in the early years (when they actually played music Laughing ).

I knew that people were always talking about their "religion" back then, but I had no idea that some people interpret this as a religious song - I just like the way it sounds.

I have never liked them enough to buy a cd and I don't see how they win Grammy's EVERY year, but I don't deny that they are very popular and millions love them.

Think I'll go listen to it right now...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 4:20 pm

I was into them in the late 80's (along with a bunch of metal and hard rock music). I had (and still do I think) three albums from that period. But I haven't liked much of anything they have done since "Rattle & Hum"

I never gave it much thought at the time, but looking at it now I can see their faith shine through a few of their songs, esp "Still Haven't Found...", and to some "Silver & Gold". But I would certainly not consider them a "Christian band". So I can't say that any of their music has really "touched" me with regards to faith at all.

I read somewhere that early in they career as a band most of them thought to quit and following some sort of calling in the ministry, but they decided they could probably have a bigger impact as a group. I have also read (again somewhere) that the guitarist is not a Christian but considers himself athiest/agnostic.

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 6:19 pm

I liked several of their hits and had a couple CDs, but the only song that I'd say touched me that I can recall is Sunday Bloody Sunday.

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:06 am

Staybrite wrote:
I have also read (again somewhere) that the guitarist is not a Christian but considers himself athiest/agnostic.

The Edge? I had heard that when they started out, the only member who was not a Christian was Adam Clayton, the bass player.

I am a big fan on the early stuff, up through Rattle and Hum. After that, not so much, although I did get How To Build an Atomic Bomb and liked it.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:07 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
I have also read (again somewhere) that the guitarist is not a Christian but considers himself athiest/agnostic.

The Edge? I had heard that when they started out, the only member who was not a Christian was Adam Clayton, the bass player.

You could very well be correct. I am trusting on my memory and it very well could have been Adam instead of The Edge.

7thSecond

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:55 pm

I love this band. They come across as more genuinley Christian then many "Christian" bands to me. And yes it's true the bass player is not a Christian.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:32 pm

Bono's not perfect, but he's doing so much more for suffering people in the world than many professing Christians, including me.

I love this band's 80's stuff. They lost me in the 90's with their new musical direction. Their more recent stuff isn't bad.

I think they were genuinely Christian without being classified as such. They were Christian like Christ was: hanging out with the world and trying to tell them the message of salvation. As opposed to many Christian acts today who sing to packed houses, but seldom do anything but preach to the choir.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about U2 for a moment...   Let's talk about U2 for a moment... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about U2 for a moment...
Page 1 of 1