Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A question for "Christian music only" people

Go down 
+7
Guilty/Forgiven
rockerVu2
Driven
unworthy
alldatndensum
Mac
Staybrite
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:59 pm

Taylor Mason (the ventriloquist) and Michael Jr. are probably my favourites.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Taylor Mason is absolutely hilarious, one of my favorites too. Also Bill Cosby is a genius, saw him live about 10 years ago, he was just superb.

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 7:28 pm

I think it depends on the individual and their walk with God. Like meat being offered up to idols. What may be permissible to me is not necessarily permissible to you and vice versa. However we shouldn't let our freedom that we have in Christ cause a weaker brother to stumble.  Where do I stand on this issue? I don't think that you are nessessarily sinning if you listen to secular music, but as I draw closer to Jesus I've found that I really don't have the desire to listen to secular music
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 pm

my favorite comedy is Brad Stine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3875
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 pm

bought4life wrote:

I gave up humor once I became a Christian..problem solved.geek
I think God has quite the sense of humor. Laughing

Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 12:49 pm

unworthy wrote:
my favorite comedy is Brad Stine.
Brad Stine is great too, he was the first (and only) Christian comic I have seen live.

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 1:27 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
bought4life wrote:

I gave up humor once I became a Christian..problem solved.geek
I think God has quite the sense of humor. Laughing
Right - look at giraffes... hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Just look at me… now I am proof of His sense of humour. I think.

Razz
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 1:02 pm

This reply is for the original question, not the comedian question. Smile

When I was a kid we attended a church that was against going to theaters.  When I asked my dad to explain the reason to me he said the church's view was as follows:

When you go to a theater to watch a G rated movie, some of the ticket money ultimately makes its way to the movie companies, who use it to make more movies, including R rated ones. Therefore, you are actually contributing to the creation of R movies.

Now apply this to music. If you pay $10 for a CD from a "safe" but none the less secular band, some of that money ultimately makes its way to the record company, which might be the same company that is responsible for an "unsafe" artist. Therefore, you are actually contributing to the creation of unsafe, secular music.

Now, before anyone starts flaming my answer: I DO NOT LIVE BY THAT LOGIC.  I realized early on that if I was going to avoid "support by indifference" situations, such as buying toothpaste made by a company that supposedly tests their products on animals, then I would need to live in a cave somewhere. I am merely applying what I was told as a kid to the "why only listen to Christian music" question.

Last edited by BearDad on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 1:04 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Which brings me to comedians.

Isn't it HARD to find a good comedian these days ???  It's like all comedians write material for 12 year old boys !!  My wife and I love a good comedian - Sinbad, Bill Cosby, Jim Gaffigan, the "Thou Shalt Laugh" series, and a few others... but VERY few are worth watching. They don't have to be Christians... just quit insulting my intelligence by using filthy language ! (and Gaffigan uses a word or 2 but nothing shocking or disgusting, he's 98% clean... I can deal with that).

We'll turn on Netflix (waste of money right there), and flip thru the comedians that DON'T say "Mature", and give each one 5 minutes or less... most only get 30 seconds due to the pointless crudity that is NOT funny to anyone with a brain that's matured beyond 12.
Ugh, it's so frustrating.
Dude, why'd you change the topic on me!? LOL!
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 1:10 pm

I have noticed an interesting trend with my music. I have found that if I am "on track" with Lord and in a good place spiritually I have very little desire to listen to secular music. But if I start listening to secular music regularly my desire to read the Bible and pray wanes.

• More God, less secular music
  • More secular music, less God

Hmm...

Of course, that's just me. I'm not suggesting that is true for everyone, or even anyone else for that matter.

Last edited by BearDad on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 1:57 pm

BearDad wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Which brings me to comedians.

Isn't it HARD to find a good comedian these days ???  It's like all comedians write material for 12 year old boys !!  My wife and I love a good comedian - Sinbad, Bill Cosby, Jim Gaffigan, the "Thou Shalt Laugh" series, and a few others... but VERY few are worth watching. They don't have to be Christians... just quit insulting my intelligence by using filthy language ! (and Gaffigan uses a word or 2 but nothing shocking or disgusting, he's 98% clean... I can deal with that).

We'll turn on Netflix (waste of money right there), and flip thru the comedians that DON'T say "Mature", and give each one 5 minutes or less... most only get 30 seconds due to the pointless crudity that is NOT funny to anyone with a brain that's matured beyond 12.
Ugh, it's so frustrating.
Dude, why'd you change the topic on me!? LOL!
Hey it was Bought4Life's fault !! He brought up movies !  lol!
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah well, I blindly replied to the original topic, only to find out AFTER posting my answer that the topic had changed. Grrrr. Evil or Very Mad 

As for your comment on comedians, I agree. It seems that most of the clean comedians are stupid. I'll sometimes watch old Bill Cosby stuff; I'm gonna do some serious mourning the day he passes away. Crying or Very sad 

Sometimes I'll watch Jeff Dunham; he's a hoot, and in my experience usually clean. One just has to endure the profanity, which is really too bad. It'd be nice if he'd realize that he can still be funny without using foul language.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Jeff Dunham... clean!?!?!?! ...
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 9:28 pm

unworthy wrote:
Jeff Dunham... clean!?!?!?! ...
He's not? Hmm.. well, I admit I've only watched a few clips. I've never sat down and watched a whole show. OK, I officially retract my previous post (but I'm not going to change it, else this one and yours will look stupid Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 9:30 pm

So here I am listening to Styrper's "The Covering" and reading a thread about listening to Christian music only.  This got me wondering: am I listening to Christian music right now!? Question
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 10:36 pm

imo .. no.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5332
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:33 am

Depends if you're listening to 'God' or not Smile

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 am

Quote :

Sometimes I'll watch Jeff Dunham; he's a hoot, and in my experience usually clean. One just has to endure the profanity, which is really too bad. It'd be nice if he'd realize that he can still be funny without using foul language.
Interestingly, I first seen Jeff on a Comedy show that aired in the 80s - I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere... anyways, he was VERY clean, and very positive - and the people LOVED him. I remember being disappointed several years later when I found out this dude made it big finally and had his own show... and had to cuss and stuff.... it wasn't that he wasn't funny anymore, it was just a bummer to me that he really had something amazing, and ended up going the route of every other comedian- it's really a shame, cuz he had such a great act (back then he would show how he could have all of his ventriloquist characters out at the same time and hold conversations between ALL of them at the same time - it was freakin amazing !)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A question for "Christian music only" people
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2