Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A question for "Christian music only" people

Go down 
+7
Guilty/Forgiven
rockerVu2
Driven
unworthy
alldatndensum
Mac
Staybrite
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

A question for "Christian music only" people Empty
PostSubject: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 4:45 pm

ok, I know a lot of people have said they won't listen to anything that isn't Christian. I have a couple of questions for you, just out of curiosity.

1) I understand not wanting to listen to music talking about sex, drugs, violence, satanism, etc etc....but what is wrong with listening to secular music if none of those negative elements are in there? I mean, do you refuse to listen anything non-Christian no matter how "safe" the music is...like even Doris Day or Elvis or Frank Sinatra?

2) If you listen to only Christian music, do you watch only Christian tv? Isn't it the same thing? I mean, how do you reconcile watching TV or movies that are not Christian, if you refuse to listen to any music unless it is Christian?

Just serious questions I had....not trying to start something.  Very curious to see the response.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:04 pm

I will give you my take on this although I am no longer a "Christian only" music listener (I was for several years though....and still rather picky about the secular music I do listen too).

1. I gave up secular music for several years because it had become an idol for me.  Listening to only Christian music let me feel secure knowing that the lyrics wouldn't be anything that would compromise my relationship with God.

2. Shortly after I gave up secular music, I also gave up t.v. (but not movies).  I did try to avoid rated R movies (and still do) and television that was/is questionable with regards to morality and faith.  However, I do see a difference in watching secular television or movies compared with listening to secular music (at least for me).  If I'm watching a t.v. show and someone blasphemes or has sex outside of marriage etc. I will typically only see it that one time.  If lyrics celebrating sin are in the music I listen to I will hear it over and over and over again, because I listen to all of my music repeatedly.  Given that I would try to avoid television shows that repeatedly went against my own morals and faith because it would repeatedly expose me to those types of things I hope to avoid.

So that's my take on it.

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You made some valid points.
Back to top Go down
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I used to be a Christian only music listener and during that time frame I didn't watch tv other than 700 club or Jimmy Swaggart and I didn't go to movies. I used to think all those things were sinful but that was more due to my upbringing than anything else. However it did teach me to be more selective with what I allow myself to listen to now!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Quote :
1) I understand not wanting to listen to music talking about sex, drugs, violence, satanism, etc etc....but what is wrong with listening to secular music if none of those negative elements are in there? I mean, do you refuse to listen anything non-Christian no matter how "safe" the music is...like even Doris Day or Elvis or Frank Sinatra?
Nothing's wrong with it--unless you feel like God has convicted you to get out of secular music.  In 1990, I felt that the Lord was asking me to give up secular music as it had become a god to me.  It took some months to do, but I did it.  I always said I'd give it another shot when I feel that He tells me its okay to go back.  He hasn't thus far.  Besides, most of the music I like (I would never buy Doris Day or Sinatra due to not liking the style) would be very sexual or full of other questionable lyrics as that's par for the course with most metal from the 80's and bands that are current that still do those styles.

Quote :
2) If you listen to only Christian music, do you watch only Christian tv? Isn't it the same thing? I mean, how do you reconcile watching TV or movies that are not Christian, if you refuse to listen to any music unless it is Christian?
I don't watch much tv, to be honest, as most of it isn't fit to watch.  Most shows seemed to be overtly sexual or violent/graphic.  I don't watch R rated movies (well, except for "Passion Of The Christ" or "Woman, Thou Art Loosed").  I buy a lot of Christian movies as well as seeing secular movies. 

No, there's not really a difference between watching secular stuff or listening to secular music.  However, I never felt like God was calling me out of the movie/tv thing.  I could take or leave television or going to the movies.  I'd rather read or surf the web than watch tv.  It is not a god for me.  If the Lord said to give up movies and tv, I could quit easily.  On average, I might watch 3 hours of tv per week, and 2 hours of that would be a movie.  I really don't need it.  If the Lord convicts me to let it go, then I gladly would.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:18 pm

1. A lot of people seem to think "not bad" is the same thing as "good." I listen to music for the same reason I seek to do anything.. to praise and bring glory to God. I do my best to seek to listen only to music which is "good." It is not the negative assertion of the LACK of something that I seek but the positive assertion of the PRESENCE of something.

2. First, there really is a difference because it is a completely different medium. There is a big difference between listening to a 5 min+- song and watching an 1.5 hour+- hour movie. To say they are the same and should be treated the same makes no sense to me. Second, this is one issue which I have spent much time in prayer about seeking God's will for me in. I do think the same thing as I about music in that I want to view things which have the PRESENCE in them and are not merely "ok" to watch because of what it LACKS. So, my convictions regarding it are that I seek for the majority of entertainment to have a godly message. Same as I do for christian albums which have material which do not have the godly message I want in every song.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:37 pm

unworthy wrote:
First, there really is a difference because it is a completely different medium. There is a big difference between listening to a 5 min+- song and watching an 1.5 hour+- hour movie. To say they are the same and should be treated the same makes no sense to me. 
Most people do not listen to a 5 min song only, so it isn't really fair to compare a single song to an entire movie. They will listen to many songs, sometimes for hours. Whether on a radio at work, your car stereo, while you are exercising, or at your home relaxing....music fans usually will spend more time listening to their music in a day than watching tv. 

And the reason I think they are the same is because both are inputting data into your brain...one thru visual AND audio and another thru just audio. But both are delivering their message.

Thank you to everyone for your responses so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:45 pm

I should also add that I believe that what you read affects you the same way as what you watch or listen to..it is still data being input.

Of course, with me saying all this, I have to confess that I am pretty loose about what I watch or listen to....but I know I do so against my better judgment in some cases
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:46 pm

bought4life wrote:
unworthy wrote:
First, there really is a difference because it is a completely different medium. There is a big difference between listening to a 5 min+- song and watching an 1.5 hour+- hour movie. To say they are the same and should be treated the same makes no sense to me. 
Most people do not listen to a 5 min song only, so it isn't really fair to compare a single song to an entire movie. They will listen to many songs, sometimes for hours. Whether on a radio at work, your car stereo, while you are exercising, or at your home relaxing....music fans usually will spend more time listening to their music in a day than watching tv. 

And the reason I think they are the same is because both are inputting data into your brain...one thru visual AND audio and another thru just audio. But both are delivering their message.

most music is in 5 min +- bits... which are songs. Each song is it's own entity and delivers it's own message. Because there is so many varieties of ways to listen to them (as an album and, as you mentioned, radio) you can't automatically build them into bigger blocks then that (except you could make an argument for the originating album - which I would make an argument for and which might equal the time of a movie and is thus why I compared a movie to an album later in the post). Therefore the time difference in communicating the message is different. While there are smaller messages along the way in a movie the "big message" of a movie has the opportunity of both time and also the addition of a visual aids to communicate a message which makes it a completely different medium.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:50 pm

unworthy wrote:
bought4life wrote:
unworthy wrote:

most music is in 5 min +- bits... which are songs. Each song is it's own entity and delivers it's own message. Because there is so many varieties of ways to listen to them (as an album and, as you mentioned, radio) you can't automatically build them into bigger blocks then that (except you could make an argument for the originating album - which I would make an argument for and which might equal the time of a movie and is thus why I compared a movie to an album later in the post). Therefore the time difference in communicating the message is different. While there are smaller messages along the way in a movie the "big message" of a movie has the opportunity of both time and also the addition of a visual aids to communicate a message which makes it a completely different medium.
BUT>>>

If you listen to a certain style ..let's say Hair Metal..a lot of the songs will have the same content...so it is still a constant barrage of it.

By the same token...not every minute of a movie necessarily contains negative items either. Even a movie dealing with gruesome violence, let's say SAW, only has violence / language / nudity in a small percentage of the film.

And yes...i know you eluded to that at the end
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:39 am

1) I don't refuse to listen to "neutral" stuff (witness the fact that I like Rush… most of their lyrics are alright, except the odd song like Totem). However, and I may be taking it out of context - everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial. Some days, I may need encouragement, so I'll steer toward something edifying.

I used to be totally Christian-only, then I realized that some stuff isn't harmful (although I'm careful about that - I skip songs like Totem), and that I'm missing a lot of great music (as in, instrumentation - take Rush for example). As well, there is virtually no French Christian metal, so I can't exactly go for that.

2) I watch no TV… Since the broadcasters here went digital, we can't get a signal (we stuck with rabbit ears). No great loss, because there's rarely anything good on TV, except natural science documentaries (which, of course, speak of billions of years…). If I want to watch anything, I turn to DVDs or to YouTube… Most shows are laced with profanity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:46 am

One thing is for sure, you guys (and girl) make me all realize what a heathen I am Sad 

I have no problems with watching a movie with profanity or violence or alter-world views (like Thor or Percy Jackson that have alternate "gods"). 

As for music, honestly, RARELY do I ever read the lyrics. So most of the time, unless I can understand the vocals, I have no clue what a song is about except for the chorus...ahhhh ignorance is bliss.

I tried before to go all Christian...started selling off my dvds and cds....and then wound up going right back to it later anyway.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 am

It's a choice you have made to listen to Christian music only.
There's nothing wrong when you keep listening to secular music.

For me listening to secular music didn't feel good after I became a child of God.
I realized how much He suffered to set me free.
Then why listening to secular music while you can listen to Christian music?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am

bought4life wrote:
One thing is for sure, you guys (and girl) make me all realize what a heathen I am Sad 

I have no problems with watching a movie with profanity or violence or alter-world views (like Thor or Percy Jackson that have alternate "gods"). 
You can count me as a heathen as well with regards to movies. While I do try to avoid excessive profanity and nudity I have watched many of those "alternate gods/witchcraft" type films as well: Thor, Harry Potter, LOTR etc. My son & I love the LOTR/Hobbit movies where the good guys use witchcraft. I have a Christian coworker who would never allow Harry Potter in his home because of the witchcraft.

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 2:27 pm

What's missing from this thread is Scripture.

A lot of great points made and an interesting never-ending topic to discuss, but what about the FINAL Word on all these issues ? What do the Words of the One we follow tell us ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Well..I am not real good with that part G/F...

is this kinda related..?

Philippians 4:8
King James Version (KJV)
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 5:33 pm

I think that's a good starting place b4l.  Using that verse, one could listen to clean secular music, which I do.  In fact, I recently discovered My Silent Wake and although I'm disappointed that Ian is an agnostic, his music is still amazing and the lyrics are interesting.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Quote :
I watch a lot of movies with alternative worldviews as well.  Star Trek isn't exactly preaching Jesus.  Neither is Batman, The Avengers and all their individual movies, or Star Wars.  I just don't watch a lot of stuff that I feel is overly sexed up and overly violent.  I watch the Avengers and it is violent, but you don't get the blood/guts of a lot of shows.  I don't care for violence when the characters seem like that's normal, either.  When a character is fighting for good or saving the innocent, I don't really mind that.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 6:56 pm

As to Scripture, I can think of a few passages…
- like I mentioned, "everything permissible - not everything beneficial"
- as was mentioned above, "whatever is good, think on it"
- "if something causes you to sin, cut it off"
- "be no longer conformed to this world"
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 am

bought4life wrote:
1) I understand not wanting to listen to music talking about sex, drugs, violence, satanism, etc etc....but what is wrong with listening to secular music if none of those negative elements are in there?
Just because nothing is "wrong" doesn't mean that it's good. If it isn't honoring God then.... Phi 4:8, 1 Cor 10:23 come to mind as others wrote
Quote :
2) If you listen to only Christian music, do you watch only Christian tv?
Close at least. Haven't had TV service in many years. We only rent movies. Most are Christian or "safe", but sometimes I do want mindless entertainment. Sometimes the violence or sexual innuendo bothers me, if it's just gratuitous instead of adding to the plot.

Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Which brings me to comedians.

Isn't it HARD to find a good comedian these days ???  It's like all comedians write material for 12 year old boys !!  My wife and I love a good comedian - Sinbad, Bill Cosby, Jim Gaffigan, the "Thou Shalt Laugh" series, and a few others... but VERY few are worth watching. They don't have to be Christians... just quit insulting my intelligence by using filthy language ! (and Gaffigan uses a word or 2 but nothing shocking or disgusting, he's 98% clean... I can deal with that).

We'll turn on Netflix (waste of money right there), and flip thru the comedians that DON'T say "Mature", and give each one 5 minutes or less... most only get 30 seconds due to the pointless crudity that is NOT funny to anyone with a brain that's matured beyond 12.
Ugh, it's so frustrating.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Which brings me to comedians.

Isn't it HARD to find a good comedian these days ???  It's like all comedians write material for 12 year old boys !!  My wife and I love a good comedian - Sinbad, Bill Cosby, Jim Gaffigan, the "Thou Shalt Laugh" series, and a few others... but VERY few are worth watching. They don't have to be Christians... just quit insulting my intelligence by using filthy language ! (and Gaffigan uses a word or 2 but nothing shocking or disgusting, he's 98% clean... I can deal with that).

We'll turn on Netflix (waste of money right there), and flip thru the comedians that DON'T say "Mature", and give each one 5 minutes or less... most only get 30 seconds due to the pointless crudity that is NOT funny to anyone with a brain that's matured beyond 12.
Ugh, it's so frustrating.

I gave up humor once I became a Christian..problem solved.geek
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Looking for good comedians? Check out Bananas and Thou Shalt Laugh… more than ample. Smile

http://bananascomedy.com/
http://www.thoushaltlaugh.com/
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:40 pm

^ got all those. Problem with comedians is, they're like Crack, you're always looking for more.
I thought Mitch Hedburg was hilarious, but again, he used a little language here and there. Shame he kicked off so young.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Bananas is great clean/Christian comedy. I have seen 3 or 4 of those Bananas vids and they have some good comedians. I've seen the first two "Thou Shalt Laugh" specials as well (more great stuff).

PostSubject: Re: A question for "Christian music only" people   A question for "Christian music only" people I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A question for "Christian music only" people
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next