Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Christian Music" discussions

Go down 
+2
topshot rhit
Guilty/Forgiven
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

"Christian Music" discussions Empty
PostSubject: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 pm

I've been reading several old issues of Contemporary Christian Music magazines (I got several years worth of issues off ebay last year). Seems the secular vs sacred discussion has been going on forever. I've read quite a few interesting articles though, and thought I'd start sharing some of them - just to get some opinions on them.

I read this one last night, it's pretty good- It's from CCM April 1987 (so some of the examples are archaic, but the idea's still the same)

Page 1: http://www.guiltyforgiven.com/CCM_0001.jpg

Page 2: http://www.guiltyforgiven.com/CCM_0002.jpg
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 am

I disagree that if music focuses on evangelism (not that every song should) that the quality would suffer. I would expect the opposite.

unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 6:58 am

I think evangelistic music would have to be above par... if it's not it's not very effective at evangelism... because no one outside the church would listen to it lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 8:01 am

Good points. I've heard "evangelistic" music that pulled no punches and yet had better creativity and quality than any top 40 radio tune.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 am

"It is the presence of truth, beauty, and integrity--not religious jargon--that makes music godly."

This.

I will also weigh in and say that there is no reason evangelistic or worship music cannot be of supreme quality and creativity. What better act of worship than to put your creative best into music for your Creator! Now, I do mean "your" creative best. Beethoven was Beethoven; Bach was Bach; you are you. If the best you can do is a limerick and a 12-bar blues, then give it back. Now that I think about it, matching up a limerick with a 12-bar blues is nothing to sneeze at.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 am

"Christian Music" discussions 511963
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 pm

I agree with many of the points written in this article. Christians should be able to write about different topics and express themselves however they choose. Sadly, though, many seem to be afraid of mentioning Jesus anymore. I realize that you don't have to have a good JPM meter running, but you can't be afraid of singing about Jesus either.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
"
I will also weigh in and say that there is no reason evangelistic or worship music cannot be of supreme quality and creativity. What better act of worship than to put your creative best into music for your Creator! Now, I do mean "your" creative best. Beethoven was Beethoven; Bach was Bach; you are you. If the best you can do is a limerick and a 12-bar blues, then give it back. Now that I think about it, matching up a limerick with a 12-bar blues is nothing to sneeze at.

Well said. "Christian Music" discussions 676823

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 1:24 pm

"Christian Music" discussions 511963"Christian Music" discussions 511963
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 8:25 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I agree with many of the points written in this article. Christians should be able to write about different topics and express themselves however they choose. Sadly, though, many seem to be afraid of mentioning Jesus anymore. I realize that you don't have to have a good JPM meter running, but you can't be afraid of singing about Jesus either.

Completely agree with that too. "Christian Music" discussions 676823

PostSubject: Re: "Christian Music" discussions   "Christian Music" discussions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Christian Music" discussions
Page 1 of 1