Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lyrical Interpretations #5

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Lyrical Interpretations #5 Empty
PostSubject: Lyrical Interpretations #5   Lyrical Interpretations #5 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Guardian

"The Captain"

Nicely written. Is Jesus the Captain in this ? What of the imagery ?

He was a captain
Flew a silver sail
Playing a wind song like a part of the sea
He followed the sunshine
charted the stars
Like a part of the ocean...a part of the sea

And what he did not fear was the journey
or the treasures left behind
And he did not run from the answer
what he did not hear were the lies

He told a story
Sailed through storms
Painted a picture lived in the scenes
Some say he was crazy
living in a dream
but he sailed with a reason out on a crystal sea

And what he did not fear didn't hurt him
What he did not seek didn't find
And he would not run from the answers
what he did not hear were the lies

Sail on captain sail on
Let your guiding light lead you cross the ocean

And though his eyes were old
he saw much more than many men could see
Now even though he's gone
his legacy lives on
a simple faith that takes me cross the sea
and home again

As the stormy sea keeps raging on
sometimes I miss my home
Take me home
I can feel it when the wind blows
and I hear you call my name
Take me home
I've been away too long
Take me home
let your spirit lead me on
and until that day
I'll try and live just like the captain
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Lyrical Interpretations #5   Lyrical Interpretations #5 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:14 pm

The captain here is someone who led a life of faith following Christ and allowing the Holy Spirit (the wind song) to take him on great journeys. He sailed through life's struggles and pain because Jesus, his "guiding light", showed him the way.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Lyrical Interpretations #5   Lyrical Interpretations #5 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 3:28 pm

For some reason whenever I hear this song it reminds me John Newton (the guy who wrote the hymn Amazing Grace).

I'm pretty certain he wasn't a captain but he was a slave-trader for a while. By the grace of God he was saved from his sin, and became an Anglican clergyman... where he went on to write several hymns.

PouncerW

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Lyrical Interpretations #5   Lyrical Interpretations #5 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 5:17 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
The captain here is someone who led a life of faith following Christ and allowing the Holy Spirit (the wind song) to take him on great journeys. He sailed through life's struggles and pain because Jesus, his "guiding light", showed him the way.

I would tend to agree with you. But one line does not quite fit

"Painted a picture lived in the scenes"

This would allude to the creator, but the rest of the sond seems to allude to a devout follower who the song writer held in high esteem and wished to follow his example.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Lyrical Interpretations #5   Lyrical Interpretations #5 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 8:43 am

PouncerW wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

This would allude to the creator, but the rest of the sond seems to allude to a devout follower who the song writer held in high esteem and wished to follow his example.

Ah, but it does fit. The "picture" he painted was telling people about his faith. He "lived in the scenes" because his life matched what he told others. When this captain talks about Jesus, he isn't just telling a story--he really knows the Lord and it's visible in his every word & deed.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
PouncerW

PouncerW

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Lyrical Interpretations #5   Lyrical Interpretations #5 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 9:02 am

alldatndensum wrote:
PouncerW wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

Ah, but it does fit. The "picture" he painted was telling people about his faith. He "lived in the scenes" because his life matched what he told others. When this captain talks about Jesus, he isn't just telling a story--he really knows the Lord and it's visible in his every word & deed.

There's a reason why he's all dat.... That makes sense. The image I had was of the creator in his own creation, but the thought you had works as well, and it also fits the context of the song.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Lyrical Interpretations #5   Lyrical Interpretations #5 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 7:19 pm

wow, good one guys....I like what Pouncer and Alldat added to it.

PostSubject: Re: Lyrical Interpretations #5   Lyrical Interpretations #5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lyrical Interpretations #5
Page 1 of 1