Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Any good options for streaming movies?

Go down 
+2
Oldiesmann
topshot rhit
6 posters
AuthorMessage
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Any good options for streaming movies? Empty
PostSubject: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 7:14 pm

I had thought I would finally switch over to a streaming service soon, but it seems they offer very few decent movies. I assumed streaming was cheaper because they didn't have any S&H costs or to buy more discs, but it may be because the selection is so pathetic (mostly comparing Netflix where we've been since nearly the start). I looked at a lot of the ones we've watched in the past 6 months and only a handful show up anywhere. Even big series like Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Hobbit, etc. aren't available. Looks like I need to stick to the DVD service. Rolling Eyes

Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 12:41 am

The answer is complicated and largely depends on what you want to watch.

For the examples you provided, you'll want to keep your eye on the upcoming HBO Max service.
For Disney/Fox (including Marvel), you'll want Disney+.
For general stuff, there's the usual Amazon Prime Video (included free with Amazon), Hulu and Netflix.
Another one to keep an eye on is NBC's planned Peacock service, which will include an ad-supported free option.
Back to top Go down
https://www.christianmetal.fans
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 5:49 am

I believe Crackle is free and they have a ton of shows and movies but it's like watching regular TV because they show commercials.

Also look for the Pluto App. TONS of tv stations and movies plus on demand but they also show commercials. It even has a guide channel like the cable companies. It has news, sports, music, classic shows, movies and even some Nickelodeon channels. Some of my favorites are the Unsolved Mysteries channel, Addams Family Chabbel, Impact Wrestling channel and the Nickelodeon channels. It's completely free but they show commercials in the middle of a scene. Luckily after the commercials it picks back up right where it left off.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 6:17 am

We decided to stick with normal Netflix, but dropped to 2 at a time instead of 3 and switched to the blu-ray option so it's $1.07 less per month overall.

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 8:24 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
We decided to stick with normal Netflix, but dropped to 2 at a time instead of 3 and switched to the blu-ray option so it's $1.07 less per month overall.

Wow!  You have an old plan!  They don't even offer newer patrons the ability to receive discs anymore.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2020 2:13 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Wow!  You have an old plan!  They don't even offer newer patrons the ability to receive discs anymore.
Are you sure about that? They certainly don't seem to advertise it on their main domain, which mentions only streaming, but you should be able to sign up via the DVD one. But yes, we've been with Netflix since nearly their beginning (we were considered "founding" members for some time - got a free movie holder and t-shirt).

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2020 2:37 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
Are you sure about that? They certainly don't seem to advertise it on their main domain, which mentions only streaming, but you should be able to sign up via the DVD one. But yes, we've been with Netflix since nearly their beginning (we were considered "founding" members for some time - got a free movie holder and t-shirt).

I was with them way back when, but when we signed up about three years ago, they had stopped allowing new users to get the discs anymore.  I was fine with that.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2020 3:12 pm

So trying to sign up at that link I gave doesn't actually work?

Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2020 3:57 pm

I signed up to Netflix about 3 years ago myself and didn't remember seeing a DVD option at the time.

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2020 5:36 pm

They don't show it unless you go to that subdomain. Their Help section says the same and even suggests you can add it if you're already a member.

Quote :
How do I sign up for a DVD-only plan?

If you are not yet a Netflix member and would like to sign up for a Netflix DVD-only plan, go to dvd.netflix.com to get started.
If you are currently a Netflix member and would like to add DVDs or remove streaming, refer to How do I change my plan?

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 9:17 am

On whatever smart device you have (smart TV, Roku, Amazon Firestick, etc.), you can look for the IMDB channel.  They have quite a few free movies.  You can watch them for free, but you will have occasional commercials added in.  We watched a movie on there last night and it was weird after only having streaming services for TV now for a few years.

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 6:51 pm

One other option ,that I use from time to time , is Vudu. Not only can you redeem digital codes and watch movies that you buy at the store on Blu-ray,  but also there is a section where you can watch movies for free/with commercials.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2023 9:21 pm

topshot rhit wrote:

Netflix will be shutting down the disc service end of Sep. Evil or Very Mad

On the plus side, I'll spend even less time watching media. Family Video shut down during Covid so can't rent locally either.

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2023 7:29 am

topshot rhit wrote:
topshot rhit wrote:

On the plus side, I'll spend even less time watching media. Family Video shut down during Covid so can't rent locally either.

As far as DVD rentals go, all we have locally anymore is Redbox.  I don't see a lot of people using it like I once did, either.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 25, 2023 2:50 pm

There are a few newish free streaming sites that have movies now.  Unfortunately a lot of it is garabage (poor quality films).  But you can find the rare gem in there occasionally. 

Try "Freevee" and "Tubi".  Pretty sure you can watch for free on your smart TV or computer.
You don't even need to sign up for an account (unless you want to keep your place in a movie or series).  They do both have ads, but are relatively short compared with cable television.

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2023 9:20 pm

topshot rhit wrote:

Thankfully there are a couple disc rental options that pivoted into the space vacated by Netflix. They obviously won't have the selection Netflix did but still way better than multiple streaming services combined and are adding all the time. Transit times will also be longer since they only have single locations at present.

We decided to try https://www.dvdinbox.com/ Hopefully they survive for a while.

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any good options for streaming movies?   Any good options for streaming movies? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any good options for streaming movies?
Page 1 of 1