Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Look Who I Got To Meet!

Go down 
+10
rockerVu2
Through The Dark Radio
Hardkore
Dynamis
topshot rhit
Guilty/Forgiven
Xid
alldatndensum
Staybrite
kerrick
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 6:12 pm

He totally mean's to shop/hunt for antiques.  Probably an American (USA) term.  People go "antiquing" in all kinds of places.  Yard sales, flea markets, swap meets, second-hand stores.

There, I probably just added several terms Jen hasn't heard of before.  Laughing

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 6:41 pm

second-hand store = op shop
Yard sale = yard sale or garage sale
swap meets = I have no idea what the equivalent would be. If it's trading stuff then we'd call it the waste exchange (my cardboard boxes for your pvc pipe kind of thing)
flea market = ??? Is it called a flea market because the stuff you get is really old and probably flea-ridden?

For antiques you'd go to an antique fair or catch the antiques roadshow heading through town like the circus but without clowns.    jocolor clown
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 6:45 pm

"Going antiquing" is American slang.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Quote :
I googled the word "antiquing" and it said to make things look old. That definition doesn't fit with taking a trip so clearly I've missed something there. What's antiquing?

Yes, that is correct- to shop for antiques.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Quote :
He totally mean's to shop/hunt for antiques.  Probably an American (USA) term.  People go "antiquing" in all kinds of places.  Yard sales, flea markets, swap meets, second-hand stores.

Yes, all the above is true- Colorado is one of the best places to go antiquing in terms of flea markets/swap meets, antique malls, second hand stores, etc

Quote :
second-hand store = op shop
Yard sale = yard sale or garage sale
swap meets = I have no idea what the equivalent would be. If it's trading stuff then we'd call it the waste exchange (my cardboard boxes for your pvc pipe kind of thing)
flea market = ??? Is it called a flea market because the stuff you get is really old and probably flea-ridden?

For antiques you'd go to an antique fair or catch the antiques roadshow heading through town like the circus but without

A swap meet/flea market is one and the same- typically it is a business open on weekends in which people show up to sell their used goods, garage sale items, etc.  Denver has a flea market called The Mile High Flea Market, which per its website is a 'farmer's market inside a garage sale inside an amusement park'.  Following is the website for more details: http://milehighfleamarket.com/en/

In terms of antiques, Denver has several giant antique malls, stores full (mostly) of used goods on display for sale.  I am a dealer at a local antique mall here in the Phoenix area.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 8:15 pm

Dynamis wrote:
Denver has a flea market called The Mile High Flea Market, which per its website is a 'farmer's market inside a garage sale inside an amusement park'.  Following is the website for more details: http://milehighfleamarket.com/en/

Whoa! That's huge.

Dynamis
Quote :
In terms of antiques, Denver has several giant antique malls, stores full (mostly) of used goods on display for sale.  I am a dealer at a local antique mall here in the Phoenix area.

Antique MALL?! Whoa
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Jen5 wrote:
Well my dictionary says "make (something) resemble an antique by artificial means."  lol

We would call that "relic-king" something--to make it look like an old relic.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Jen5 wrote:
Though I don't know anyone who has ever done that trip. It would take about 30 hours to drive the 1200 miles (shockingly windy roads here plus a 3 hour ferry trip). It's the sort of trip that makes the news...guy cycling the length of the country to raise funds for spinal research or guy driving the length of the country on a zero budget raising money en route with odd jobs here and there to pay for petrol and raise awareness for poor musicians and homeless chickens    What a Face
I know people that have hiked it via the Te Araroa. Much of the journey didn't seem like it would interest me. I like the mountains with sweeping views.

Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Seriously? That's like three months of walking...or more...and a lot of it on roads...not to mention the wickedly long walk along the beach up north which is a sure-fire way to get shin-splints! Ack! You gotta be kookie to do that thing. The more gentile version is my cuppa tea. "Sweeping views" sounds about right to me. That'd be The Tongariro Crossing (fabulous), the kayak portion on the Wanganui (peaceful and gorgeous), the Queen Charlotte Track (gorgeous)...and leave all the roadside meandering to the pukeko (a NZ bird that hangs out there).

If/when you start planning your trip, let me know. There're not many places I haven't been in this country. I can give you the rundown of cool places to visit.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 7:48 am

I've the idea the CHM meeting is to many miles for me next year.
I loved to meet you all.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 10:33 am

Seeing that we cannot decide on a location, I don't think this is gonna happen.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 11:13 am

Texas might be a good place because it has a couple of major air hubs (Amiercan Airlines in Dallas/Fort Worth and Southwest in Houston).
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Dynamis wrote:
Quote :
2 16-hour days to Lassen Volcanic NP. It's a few hours shorter to Palm Springs, but we're making a bunch of stops along the way.

Consecutive 16-hour days on the road sounds exhausting.  If in that much of a hurry to get there, then why not fly? Very Happy  Still, have a safe trip.

On a side note: I am planning an antiquing trip to Colorado this fall and following is my tentative schedule:

Day 1: Leave work (Phoenix) at 2:30 and drive to Holbrook, Arizona (just East of Winslow)
Day 2: Leave Holbrook early in the morning and drive to Pueblo, Colorado (about a seven hour drive)

This will ensure that I am feeling relaxed and refreshed when ready to start antiquing in Colorado Springs (30 minutes from Pueblo) on day three.
I have been thru Pueblo before while on my way to Canon City. Didn't see much of the place but looked pretty decent.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Texas might be a good place because it has a couple of major air hubs (Amiercan Airlines in Dallas/Fort Worth and Southwest in Houston).
Austin also has an airport. I have always heard good things about the city. Plus who knows, we might come across One Bad Pig.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Hardkore wrote:
Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Austin also has an airport. I have always heard good things about the city. Plus who knows, we might come across One Bad Pig.

Very true.  Might run into Doug Van Pelt as well.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 7:54 am

How cool it would be to have a real CHM meeting.
Most of us are for such a long time on this forum, that it would be so cool to meet each other.

For us are most states to far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Look Who I Got To Meet!   Look Who I Got To Meet! - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Look Who I Got To Meet!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: