Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Stryper Album Title Controversy?

Go down 
+10
rich71
MikeInFla
Staybrite
Through The Dark Radio
Driven
alldatndensum
ChristTrekker
Xid
messiaen77
pastorbrad
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2015-06-15

New Stryper Album Title Controversy? Empty
PostSubject: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 1:58 pm

I personally would not have chosen the title--"God D### Evil" ... BUT, asking God to "condemn (i.e. d###) evil" strickly speaking is not a bad thing--and that is what the title is saying. It's not all that different than "To Hell With The Devil"... edgy... outside of my comfort zone, but I think I understand what they're trying to say.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 2:06 pm

I'll jump in and disagree with the idea that asking God to condemn evil is not a bad thing.  If God truly desires that none perish and all come to repentance, then isn't a request that God grrrrrr evil--those who are perishing--going against God's will?  Put another way, aren't we who are followers of Christ supposed to be agents of reconciliation calling on God's mercy and grace rather than God's judgement and condemnation?

Plus, like I echoed in the other thread, to me it comes across as trying too hard to be edgy.  I'm still gonna buy the album though.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Asking God to condemn evil isn't any different than the martyrs in Revelation asking God how long He'll refrain from judging and avenging their blood.

There would be a huge difference if they used proper grammar:

God, D*** Evil!

God D***s Evil

But "God D*** Evil" when read, sounds like swearing.

It will be interesting to hear the song to find out if it sounds like swearing in context.  Similar to Bride's "We won't go to Hell no, we won't go."
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2017-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Imprecatory prayer?
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Xid --- I thought of that same passage in Revelation.  And we all long for the day when the Devl and His angels (demons) are cast into the lake of fire.  I would have a HUGE issue if the title asked God to "D## people... I totally get what messiaen77 is talking about there...

I too want to hear the song and how the message comes across in context...

Either way--it's a very hard pill for me to swallow...  We'll see.

Imprecatory Psalms, contained within the Book of Psalms of the Hebrew Bible (תנ"ך), are those that invoke judgment, calamity, or curses, upon one's enemies or those perceived as the enemies of God.

I get this in in OT context... but under the New Covenant---It's gotta be a reference to condemning/doing away with "evil" in general.. I.e. the restoration of all things in the end---THAT, I'm very much looking fwd too!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 pm

I get what they are trying to do with the title, but it does make me feel a little smarmy.  This definitely comes off as a marketing ploy to get people talking for free word of mouth publicity.  However, it has already become polarizing as you have those that are totally okay with the title branding people who aren't as judgmental, legalistic, and fake Christians.  Yes, I've seen all three used on Facebook conversations. 

The people who don't like it are bashing Stryper and calling into question their faith.  I also see them questioning the faith and morals of anyone who thinks that this is a cool title.

Then there are those of us in the middle.  I understand the message they are trying to convey, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.  I am scratching my head as to why this would be considered a great marketing tool (other than what I mentioned before). I don't think that Stryper is going to Hell over the title.  I don't think that anyone for or against this is in sin for their thoughts.  I do see the extreme supporters of either side going to far to insult one another and call one another names.  In that, where is Christ?

So, it has gotten Stryper some free publicity.  But, with what I have seen, it is really worth it?  Also, Stryper has tried to be controversial with their titles before.  While it worked on "To Hell With The Devil", it backfired on "Against The Law".  Why push the envelope, really?  Either the music speaks for itself, or it won't.

But, I probably don't represent most fans with my musings, so I will bow out now.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Xid wrote:
Asking God to condemn evil isn't any different than the martyrs in Revelation asking God how long He'll refrain from judging and avenging their blood.

There would be a huge difference if they used proper grammar:

God, D*** Evil!

God D***s Evil

But "God D*** Evil" when read, sounds like swearing.

It will be interesting to hear the song to find out if it sounds like swearing in context.  Similar to Bride's "We won't go to Hell no, we won't go."

That's what I was thinking. With proper grammar, it might've worked better. It does sound like edginess for the sake of it, at least for now.
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am

Good thoughts--ALL... 

I guess the next step is to wait for the album release so we can hear the lyrics in context.

Based on the album cover art--I'm pretty sure it will be a song asking God to do away with evil (and possibly usher in his kingdom?) ...  But for me... even if the song is the best stryper song ever (sonically) I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable singing it.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 am

Seems similar to THWTD controversy.  The wheel keeps on a-turnin'.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 am

Fundy provided the lyrics over at CMR.

We power up the empty screen
And let the games begin
Far beyond it's poisoning
Is a special kind of sin

We open locks
And break the chains
To let the devil in
We're losing all of what remains
In a war we'll never win
A war that never ends

(Chorus)
God grrrrrr Evil
God grrrrrr it all
God save The People
But God grrrrrr The Walls

Self control is all but gone
The weak time after time
Take the bait and break the bond
But never pay the crime

The only saving grace is love
And we know where that lies
It's what we feel unworthy of
So we don't claim the prize
We never claim the prize.....

(Chorus)
God grrrrrr Evil
God grrrrrr it all
God save The People
But God grrrrrr The Walls

As I read the lyrics, I'm more convinced that it is a case of being edgy for the sake of being edgy.  The verses seem like they were taken from another song and just stuck in here with this chorus.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 4:02 pm

I have to say, I'm interested by how almost everyone has censored the word "grrrrrr" here. For me, it's not a big issue for me to say the word in its proper context (as a word, or in the act of damning), but I can get that a lot of us aren't as comfortable with it. I always think of C.S. Lewis saying "don't talk damned nonsense" in Mere Christianity. That said, the title still comes across as edginess for the sake of it.

Edit: just realized it autocorrects to grrrrrr. But the verb doesn't Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Driven wrote:

Edit: just realized it autocorrects to grrrrrr. But the verb doesn't Evil or Very Mad

ROTFL Now that made me laugh.  Now try asking D-i-c-k (Richard) a question and see how that get's censored.

Xid

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:03 pm

I did it and didn't like the results so I removed the post.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Xid wrote:

Next time you can just hit the "preview" button to see what it will look like before you post it.

Xid

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:18 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Xid wrote:

Next time you can just hit the "preview" button to see what it will look like before you post it.

Stop being practical and using common sense.  You're making me feel bad.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 11:00 am

Grrrr, so frustrating.  Still, it isn't as ridiculous as the in-game chat for the Galaxy of Heroes game, where words like "accumulate" come out as "ac***ulate".

BTW, I actually typed that first word as is.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Driven wrote:
I have to say, I'm interested by how almost everyone has censored the word "grrrrrr" here. For me, it's not a big issue for me to say the word in its proper context (as a word, or in the act of damning), but I can get that a lot of us aren't as comfortable with it. I always think of C.S. Lewis saying "don't talk damned nonsense" in Mere Christianity. That said, the title still comes across as edginess for the sake of it.

When we first set this place up, some words were put in for an autocorrect just to keep the place family friendly.  We did have some underage kids posting back then.  While I tried to keep as much out as possible, I did not sit down and try to add every single little variation of some words. That would have taken a lot of time.  If you want more words censored, I can add those.  I just did the best I knew how to try to keep this place from getting overrun by trolls who just refuse to follow a few simple guidelines.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 12:22 pm

I don't remember which forum but when I mentioned I saw a poster for a band it displayed as "Faster Smurfy Cat" LOL
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 12:35 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
I don't remember which forum but when I mentioned I saw a poster for a band it displayed as "Faster Smurfy Cat" LOL

I don't know if the newer one does, but the old CMR site censored almost every word as Smurf or Smurfy.  I thought it was hilarious!

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Maybe they should have named the album:  "God Smurf Evil".
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Xid wrote:
Maybe they should have named the album:  "God Smurf Evil".

That would have been Fan-smurfin-tastic!

Driven

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 3:09 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:

I don't know if the newer one does, but the old CMR site censored almost every word as Smurf or Smurfy.  I thought it was hilarious!

Now that you mention it, we should do that here instead. Are you game? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Dont like Title   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Like others have mentioned. I dont like the title. Sounds like a swear
Back to top Go down
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Album Cover Forgot to Mention   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 4:20 pm

I do not like the Zeus like character on cover. If its indeed used to represent God I think thats a mistake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Stryper Album Title Controversy?   New Stryper Album Title Controversy? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Stryper Album Title Controversy?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next