Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!

Go down 
+8
Ahlitah
Dynamis
Guilty/Forgiven
Xid
ishmael81
Fundy
Staybrite
alldatndensum
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 8:57 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Wicked cool!  Like I said at the CMR, your music is great and any exposure that will help you get new fans is much deserved.

Even though it will cost me to do so, I am even thinking of paying to get my album reviewed on Jesus Freak Hideout's site.  They charge indie bands for that service.

Might be worth it (especially if it isn't a lot of money).  Your current sounds is more accessible to a mainstream market than much of what you recorded as Mof1.

KellyM

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 8:51 am

You have to pay to have them review your album? Personally, I wouldn't do that. If they gave you a bad review that would be terrible. Paying someone to say, "Don't buy this." There are plenty of other places that give fair reviews for free. It's always a risk to have an album reviewed, but to have money evolved as well, that's a bit much.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lordchainrocks
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 10:39 am

KellyM wrote:
You have to pay to have them review your album? Personally, I wouldn't do that. If they gave you a bad review that would be terrible. Paying someone to say, "Don't buy this." There are plenty of other places that give fair reviews for free. It's always a risk to have an album reviewed, but to have money evolved as well, that's a bit much.

I didn't even think about that.  Seems like if they gave you a bad review they should be forced to give you your money back.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 5:48 pm

KellyM wrote:

I get that, but I don't think that the album would get a negative review from them.  They are always nailing people for not doing something different than the status quo.  An electric blues album is different.  For an indie artist with little following, there isn't much you can really do to get the word out.  Paying for a review on a site with so many followers might be just the thing I needed.

I still haven't done it, but I am still considering it.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
KellyM

KellyM

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 8:19 pm

It would also depend on how much it costs. If it's under $10 it might be worth it. It's really strange though, the places I thought would be a lock to give us a good review didn't & vice versa. With it being blues based, there are lots of online mags & radio stations to contact. It can get time consuming. 
It may not seem like it, but you are building a good following. Also being on the other side of the industry (playing the music on a show, not making it), you've got a good buzz & people are talking. I'll be playing Wal-Mart Blues on my show this coming week.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Quote :
I'll be playing Wal-Mart Blues on my show this coming week.

I like that one as it shows that I have a humorous side and am not afraid to use it on a definite Christian release.  I am a serious musician, but I don't take myself too seriously.  Using some humor, I feel that maybe I can get a secular audience to listen to my album if only they will give it a chance.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 8:19 am

alldatndensum wrote:
KellyM wrote:

I get that, but I don't think that the album would get a negative review from them.  They are always nailing people for not doing something different than the status quo.  An electric blues album is different.  For an indie artist with little following, there isn't much you can really do to get the word out.  Paying for a review on a site with so many followers might be just the thing I needed.

Nothing like a Christian music site charging those with the least money for a service they provide... After all, what would Jesus do? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 3:52 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
KellyM wrote:

Nothing like a Christian music site charging those with the least money for a service they provide... After all, what would Jesus do? Rolling Eyes

That's a bit harsh, don't you think?  After all, they aren't charging you for all the content on the site and aren't hitting you with a ton of ads.  Every artist that needs a review or artist page is taking up more server space for them.  I can see absorbing those costs somehow.

Also, where does Jesus prohibit making money?

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 4:17 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
KellyM wrote:

That's a bit harsh, don't you think?  After all, they aren't charging you for all the content on the site and aren't hitting you with a ton of ads.  Every artist that needs a review or artist page is taking up more server space for them.  I can see absorbing those costs somehow.

Also, where does Jesus prohibit making money?

Jesus doesn't forbid making money, and maybe I am being harsh - but the whole thing seems exploitive to me.

If they truly want good Christian music in people's hands, you'd think they'd go about it a little better. Some indie artist, making music in their basement (or extra building, in your case), in their spare time (because they have a full time job) has to pay for a review, but someone like TobyMac or Chris Tomlin or .... take your pick of corporate music types and they get free publicity?

The Christian music industry seems about 98% business, 1.5% music and 0.5% Jesus...
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 11:28 am

Quote :
If they truly want good Christian music in people's hands, you'd think they'd go about it a little better. Some indie artist, making music in their basement (or extra building, in your case), in their spare time (because they have a full time job) has to pay for a review, but someone like TobyMac or Chris Tomlin or .... take your pick of corporate music types and they get free publicity?

The Christian music industry seems about 98% business, 1.5% music and 0.5% Jesus..

I won't disagree with that.  It is an INDUSTRY first as most of the labels have now been swallowed up by much larger secular companies.  Without that industry, though, most of the artists out there wouldn't have their music out there the way they do.  If the industry isn't making money, then they pull the plug on the Christian music scene and the death toll rings for Christian radio or charting.

JFH probably could do more to help indie artists, but they do have to pay to host all that extra info on their website and pay the guy to review the album.  I doubt many of their writers are full time.  Without having a marketable product to sell, this may be one of the few sources of revenue for them.  I get that. 

Try getting reviewed by many secular magazines.  If you aren't signed to a label which in turn guarantees them sells, then they charge indie guys because that is extra volume to the magazine that they pay to put in.  Those magazines then cost more to produce and you aren't helping them sell their product.  You essentially become an advertiser.  They will review you, but you are still an advertiser in their eyes.  Thus, I don't feel bad about JFH or CCM Magazine (if they still exist) charging a little for their services.  Even Facebook wants you to pay to push ads to a larger viewing audience.

I still haven't decided what to do, but I am seriously considering this as a way to promote my album.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 11:34 am

I worked on a new song this morning.  I laid all the rhythm guitars, bass, and leads for a new song called "The Bootlegger's Prayer".  I did the vocals but will probably redo them because my confidence just isn't there in the first verse.

The leads are definitely 70s sounding.  I did some chording and some twinned out leads.  The main solo, to me, sounds like a cross between Angus Young and the guys from Lynard Skynard.  I was hoping for a ZZ Top feel, but this is where it came out. 

My next song with me more folky.  It is called "Completely Flexible".  It is a silly song about someone who is totally self-absorbed and spoiled rotten.  As long as they get what they want, then they are completely flexible.  I think it will be a fun song.

I still need to redo the vocals on "Burning Bush" and do the solo.  Everything is done on "PLease Don't Make Me Watch A Chick Flick" except the drums.  I will use my brother in the studio here but will also be recording the songs with a guest drummer with a live kit to see which gives the best results.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Very cool!  Glad to see you creating new music.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 07, 2017 7:57 am

While still needing to do the vocals and drums for it, I got all of the music recorded for "Completely Flexible" last night.  The rhythm and lead guitar parts were easy.  The bass is just a simple walking pattern used in blues, country, etc.  The feel of the song will put you in mind a bit of "Just A Gigalo" by David Lee Roth.  Of course, I wanted more folky, so I am not going to try to do the horns and all.  I did add a lot of hand instruments like an African shaker, desk bell, wooden claves, and a wooden block.

Back to top Go down
mudpuppy

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Way cool!!!!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 6:23 am

I finished my parts for the new ZZ Top cover last night and started the guitars for the remake of "Give It To Jesus".  This is progressing very well.

I am already considering, though, whether this should remain an EP or if I should go ahead and make a full length album.  If I go with the latter, a third installment could take some time as I don't have a lot of songs written that far out.  I have more than enough to use if I did an EP and an album.  However, 6 or 7 songs just feels incomplete.

Oh, decisions, decisions!

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 7:01 am

What I hope is that it's possible to make a full lenght album.
Back to top Go down
KellyM

KellyM

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 7:40 am

Full length sounds good. 9-10 songs would be great.
Back to top Go down
Ahlitah

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 9:46 am

How about sending it in to be reviewed via the Phatom Tollbooth?

http://www.tollbooth.org
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 9:54 am

Ahlitah wrote:
How about sending it in to be reviewed via the Phatom Tollbooth?

http://www.tollbooth.org

I didn't know the tollbooth was still open! I remember when they started - I was still in high school.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 11:26 am

I too prefer full albums rather than EP's, but a 6 or 7 song EP is almost an album anyway.  All those 8 and 9 track metal albums from the 80's were called albums, so a 6/7 song EP would be fine for me. 

The more the better I say!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2017 9:11 pm

I finished the guitars and bass for the redone version of "Give It To Jesus".  It now clocks in at under 4 minutes.  I added a bridge to the song and cut out the solo.  It works for this song.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2017 3:25 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I finished the guitars and bass for the redone version of "Give It To Jesus".  It now clocks in at under 4 minutes.  I added a bridge to the song and cut out the solo.  It works for this song.

Woo  YES!!!!! Great news!

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2017 5:06 pm

In only a week, I have all guitars, bass, and vocals tracked on 4 songs.  The 5th needs vocals only.

I think I am going to go ahead and just do a 10 song album.  I have the material, but that will mean my concept for the album title will be shot.  I originally wanted to do an EP called "Hell, and Utter Foolishness".  It would have been two songs about Hell and the rest would be silly songs.  I think I will scrap that and just shoot for a full length but have no working title yet.

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2017 11:16 am

"Hell, Utter Foolishness... and other stuff"

Razz

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2017 11:42 am

Actually Fundy, that isn't a bad idea.

What about something like "Hell, Foolishness and Everything Else"?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!   Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band News!
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next