Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Ramblings

Go down 
+15
Guilty/Forgiven
messiaen77
BearDad
rockerVu2
xenonlion
Oldiesmann
Driven
Hardkore
Xid
kerrick
Through The Dark Radio
Staybrite
ishmael81
MikeInFla
alldatndensum
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Random Ramblings - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 12:33 pm

BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Cool finds, even if one of them was a duplicate.  I've found myself standing in a used music store more than once holding a copy of something and wondering if I already own it...lol.

Might I suggest Discogs? I use it pretty regularly if for nothing more than to know what I have and want. They also have an app that's free and easy to use. You just scan the barcode and put it in your collection.

The problem with discogs is it is online, just like ebay. I've been burned by both. The seller says the record is in G or VG and when you get it its not.  Also, if the seller is overseas the shipping cost is ridiculous.

I'm sorry - I wasn't clear. I purchase occasionally from Discogs but I meant more to just know what you have and what you don't while at a store. You mentioned you accidentally bought a duplicate - I've done that before but since I use the app Discogs made, it hasn't happened again.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3123
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 2:23 pm

BearDad wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:

There were 3 pressings of Man Of Miracles. Look at the back. If side 2 cut one is "Lies" it is a first pressing. If "Best Thing" it is a second pressing. You want the one with "Lies". I'm a huge Styx fan.

Interesting. I will check. I think it'd be cool to have each of the three.
The 3rd pressing is from 1980 and features an alternate (ugly) cover and the name changed to "Miracles". The different track on this one is "Unfinished Song". In 1980 RCA reissued the Wooden Nickel albums with alternate construction paper-like artwork. 

Random Ramblings - Page 7 55487
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 2:53 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
BearDad wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:

There were 3 pressings of Man Of Miracles. Look at the back. If side 2 cut one is "Lies" it is a first pressing. If "Best Thing" it is a second pressing. You want the one with "Lies". I'm a huge Styx fan.

Interesting. I will check. I think it'd be cool to have each of the three.
The 3rd pressing is from 1980 and features an alternate (ugly) cover and the name changed to "Miracles". The different track on this one is "Unfinished Song". In 1980 RCA reissued the Wooden Nickel albums with alternate construction paper-like artwork. 

Random Ramblings - Page 7 55487

Yeah, I've seen those. They'd be cool to have, just for the sake of having a completed set. It's been a while since I looked at it, but I'm pretty sure my Serpent is Rising CD is the reissued fugly cover.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 2:56 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Cool finds, even if one of them was a duplicate.  I've found myself standing in a used music store more than once holding a copy of something and wondering if I already own it...lol.

Might I suggest Discogs? I use it pretty regularly if for nothing more than to know what I have and want. They also have an app that's free and easy to use. You just scan the barcode and put it in your collection.

The problem with discogs is it is online, just like ebay. I've been burned by both. The seller says the record is in G or VG and when you get it its not.  Also, if the seller is overseas the shipping cost is ridiculous.

I'm sorry - I wasn't clear. I purchase occasionally from Discogs but I meant more to just know what you have and what you don't while at a store. You mentioned you accidentally bought a duplicate - I've done that before but since I use the app Discogs made, it hasn't happened again.

Interesting. I wasn't aware they have an app to help you keep track of your collection. I'll have to look into that. I have a spreadsheet that I keep on my Dropbox folder, but I'm terrible at keeping it up to date.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 2:58 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
I think I have reached seriousness overload and have been rendered incapable of taking anything seriously.  Combine that with my brain's propensity to seek out the most ridiculous, sarcastic, or smart-alecky response before the appropriate one, I'm afraid I'm about to become mute as well.

I'm sorry. Were we supposed to take this post seriously? Or would you prefer to remain silent on the subject?

lol!
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 3:19 pm

BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Interesting. I wasn't aware they have an app to help you keep track of your collection. I'll have to look into that. I have a spreadsheet that I keep on my Dropbox folder, but I'm terrible at keeping it up to date.

It's pretty handy and very user friendly. There' a bar code scanner to add new stuff and if it's already there, it'll ask if you're sure you want to add it. Honestly, I've tried several ways to keep track of my collection and it's the best I've found.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 3:37 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Now I tote around a PDF file on my computer that lists all of my albums (and sorts them by CD or MP3).  I had thought of joining Discogs, but the approximately 1000 albums I would want to catalog is a daunting thought.

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 4:58 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Now I tote around a PDF file on my computer that lists all of my albums (and sorts them by CD or MP3).  I had thought of joining Discogs, but the approximately 1000 albums I would want to catalog is a daunting thought.

Makes sense. I only have about 250 counting mp3's (which Discogs is stupid about. Some albums they let you include but put a warning that you can't sell digital media but then some albums they disallow as mp3). I think I have almost 200 listed on Discogs.

You could do the 1000 in a few days if you wanted with the barcode scanner. Just shoot for a hundred or so a night while watching tv...

Or just carry around your PDF. Whatever tunes your guitar.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

This is where I am. I have 700-ish CDs, over 300 records, and about 100 cassettes. Getting the CDs into my spreadsheet was easy using a DOS dir command to list my MP3s since they are all ripped (then manually remove the digital-only copies).  The records are killing me though. Smile
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 5:16 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

It's pretty handy and very user friendly. There' a bar code scanner to add new stuff and if it's already there, it'll ask if you're sure you want to add it. Honestly, I've tried several ways to keep track of my collection and it's the best I've found.

I'll definitely check it out tonight.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 12:23 am

Quote :
fugly

I haven't heard that term since high school !  lol!
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 6:54 am

Holy smokes! Literally! We went to Gatlinburg last weekend and now the whole city is on fire by arson!

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2016/11/29/30-gatlinburg-structures-fire-tema/94584554/

We shopped at this Food City last weekend.

a bit of language in this one but I think I would be saying the same thing under the circumstances so if you dont want to hear it just turn it down

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 7:13 am

While the main strip in Gatlinburg is still intact, much of the areas surrounding it are gone.  A lot of the chalets and cabins that people rent are also destroyed.  This could easily end up costing hundreds of millions of dollars in property loss.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 8:05 am

We stayed in a cabin there and I hope where we stayed is OK but considering there was a lot of smoke and fire near that Food City doesn't make me hopeful.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 9:17 am

I'm really saddened by this whole thing. My wife and I stayed in a cabin just outside Gatlinburg the first week of November - we shopped at the Food City too Mike! Such a special place to us, and in general, and I hate to see this.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 6:09 am

ishmael81 wrote:
I'm really saddened by this whole thing. My wife and I stayed in a cabin just outside Gatlinburg the first week of November - we shopped at the Food City too Mike! Such a special place to us, and in general, and I hate to see this.
Yes, the place is home to us since we grew up in Knoxville. Appreciate it more now that we live 9 hrs away.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 12:34 pm

My wife and I went when our kiddo was younger and loved it. Then for our 15th anniversary, we went to try and reconnect. It's unreal seeing video and pictures of places we were less than a month ago and they're destroyed or damaged now.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 10:27 pm

I finished classes today, and only have 4 exams between now and the 16th. Then, to spoil my excitement, a spring decided to break on my car's suspension…
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 9:16 am

Ah serious bummer. No

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 10:40 am

I should get the replacement part today, and install it with a friend who's already done suspension work on a Volkswagen. The strangest part is that I just sat in my car yesterday morning and heard a huge sproing.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Glad to hear it is something you can likely fix yourself....and that the huge "sproing" wasn't the spring shooting through the chassis.

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2016 11:57 am

I enlisted the help of a friend who did most of the work, since he's dealt with replacing springs on a VW before, and recruited another mechanically inclined friend. There was trouble at every step of the way, as I didn't have all of the necessary tools (12-point bolt bits), and some of the bolts were dead, so we had to cut them and fit new ones. And afterward, since we'd disconnected the battery at one point, the doors locked themselves with my keys in it, so I had to get a friend to drive me home and pick up the spare key, while asking my landlord to let me in since my house key was also in my car. I decided to pay my friend with a case of good craft beer, since it is a valid form of currency Razz
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2016 4:38 pm

A case of good craft beer is definitely a valid form of currency.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2016 5:23 pm

ishmael81 wrote:

Makes sense. I only have about 250 counting mp3's (which Discogs is stupid about. Some albums they let you include but put a warning that you can't sell digital media but then some albums they disallow as mp3). I think I have almost 200 listed on Discogs.

You could do the 1000 in a few days if you wanted with the barcode scanner. Just shoot for a hundred or so a night while watching tv...

Or just carry around your PDF. Whatever tunes your guitar.

Somehow I missed this....
I think a little less than half of my albums are legal MP3 downloads.  If I couldn't catalog even 30% of those it would probably make the list nearly useless to me.  Bummer.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 11:35 am

We are watching the Nashville Christmas Parade on tv this morning.  Ugh!!!  They think they are the blessed Macy's parade!  They are showing very little of the floats or marching bands.  They are just focusing on the crappy lip-syncing artists.  I just want to see a parade--not a terrible show of musical guests who are not really singing.

Bah, humbug!!!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 7 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Ramblings
Page 7 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next