Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Focus On Metal

Go down 
+5
Xid
ishmael81
Through The Dark Radio
alldatndensum
rich71
9 posters
AuthorMessage
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 6:19 am

I listened to the mp3 podcast of the interview of Mike Sweet. Forr the most part it was a good interview. I shook my head at a couple of spots like when he said that he didn't care about how many units an album sold. He said what he cares about is if they have the money to record an album Stryper is going to do it regardless of sales. This coming from a person who promotes his cds and merchantize every other post that he makes.

Then he trashes a person that he had a conversation about regarding song writting. He said an artist told him that it took 2 years to write and they had 30 songs. Mike thought that was crazy. Not everyone can write an album in a week. Maybe he should tell that to blackie lawless

He was also asked how well Rob can sing and how well he can drum. He said there is a reason why Rob doesn't sing on albums. He did however say that with a bit of practice he might surprise some people on drums...He also raved about how good of a producer he was...He continues to frusterate me..I personally do not know how Rob Oz and Tim put up with him

In Christ
Rich
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 7:23 am

Quote :
I listened to the mp3 podcast of the interview of Mike Sweet. Forr the most part it was a good interview. I shook my head at a couple of spots like when he said that he didn't care about how many units an album sold. He said what he cares about is if they have the money to record an album Stryper is going to do it regardless of sales. This coming from a person who promotes his cds and merchantize every other post that he makes.

I know exactly where he is coming from.  I don't sell as Mission Of One anywhere near what they sell.  However, you definitely want to at least break even in costs so you can do more music.  If you start ANY business, even one Christ focused, and it does not generate enough to keep you afloat, you shut it down.  You cannot keep hemorrhaging money.  As an artist, you have to hawk your wares so that you can keep doing what you love.  People just slam on Stryper for doing it even though Disciple does it, Kutless does it, Bloodgood did it, etc.  If you make the music, you've got to try to sell it.  Even if they were becoming millionaire from it, so what?  Do we know where Michael and Co. give?  Do they tithe or give beyond that?  Making money isn't a crime or a sin. To me, this part of anti-fandom for Stryper is just an example of swallowing a gnat to strain out a camel.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 11:03 am

Actually, on the Love Trash album, Robert doesn't sing either.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 11:30 am

I've not kept it a secret that I'm not really a Stryper fan anymore. And this won't be popular but I'll say it anyway.

Dude, if Mike pisses you off so much, quit listening. I'm not trying to pick on you or whatever, but just let it go. It's easy to listen to a couple podcasts and make a decision about someone, but you don't know Mike any more than I know Charlie Sheen.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 12:12 pm

rich71 wrote:

Then he trashes a person that he had a conversation about regarding song writting. He said an artist told him that it took 2 years to write and they had 30 songs. Mike thought that was crazy. Not everyone can write an album in a week. Maybe he should tell that to blackie lawless

He was also asked how well Rob can sing and how well he can drum. He said there is a reason why Rob doesn't sing on albums. He did however say that with a bit of practice he might surprise some people on drums...He also raved about how good of a producer he was...He continues to frusterate me..I personally do not know how Rob Oz and Tim put up with him

In Christ
Rich
Please, find a better way to spend your time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 1:03 pm

I know there has been issues with Mike over the years, but none of that has really affected me at all.  I'm just happy they makes great music, and continues to write christian stuff.  Stryper work great as a team and have produced some stellar music over the years, and let's face it, everyone has their issues on different topics.  I just choose to look at the positives in what they've done over the years, and am thankful that they're keeping on going.

And I hope they make enough money to continue making more great albums.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Ninja'd!

I sympathize with Rich.  For me, getting insight into the heart(s) behind the music really affects how I listen to the music.  If, say, a band releases an awesome album that's lyrically straight-up praise and I know (to the best of my ability) from reading interviews, emailing with the member(s), etc. that it's legitimate and genuine, I am extra encouraged by that music.  But if that same band releases a new album that has done away with those types of lyrics and I find out that the musicians have left the faith, now for me that first album is much more of a mixed bag of emotions.  Rather than being uplifted by it, I'll now be reminded to pray for those musicians and can't help but feel some sorrow too.

There's a few bands I won't listen to because I know I won't be able to enjoy them due to how the artists act on social media, etc.  It's going to be different for each person and some aren't affected by it at all - just like some don't feel they are affected by lyrics.  Then there are other bands that I enjoy all the more because of how genuine their members are.

All that being said, I'm with Ish on that one: if you don't feel ok listening to a band due to its members' lifestyles, personalities, or whatever, then don't listen to 'em!
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 1:56 pm

I think Michael suffers from being too honest at times.  I seem to recall Amy Grant also had that condition when she was younger, but seems to have overcome that somewhat as she's gotten older.  I think he tells people what he is thinking without filtering it through the "what is this going to sound like" filter.  Plus, he seems to have no shortage of self-esteem.  In some ways he reminds me of Bono.  I wonder for both of them if it is an overcompensation for insecurity.  Paging Dr. Freud, Dr. Jung...
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 3:22 pm

kerrick wrote:
Ninja'd!

I sympathize with Rich.  For me, getting insight into the heart(s) behind the music really affects how I listen to the music.  If, say, a band releases an awesome album that's lyrically straight-up praise and I know (to the best of my ability) from reading interviews, emailing with the member(s), etc. that it's legitimate and genuine, I am extra encouraged by that music.  But if that same band releases a new album that has done away with those types of lyrics and I find out that the musicians have left the faith, now for me that first album is much more of a mixed bag of emotions.  Rather than being uplifted by it, I'll now be reminded to pray for those musicians and can't help but feel some sorrow too.

There's a few bands I won't listen to because I know I won't be able to enjoy them due to how the artists act on social media, etc.  It's going to be different for each person and some aren't affected by it at all - just like some don't feel they are affected by lyrics.  Then there are other bands that I enjoy all the more because of how genuine their members are.

All that being said, I'm with Ish on that one: if you don't feel ok listening to a band due to its members' lifestyles, personalities, or whatever, then don't listen to 'em!

I'm that way too, but maybe to a lesser extent.

Reading interviews or listening to podcasts only gives a glimpse of someone's life. I'm far from perfect, so I ty to show folks a little bit of grace.

And I do understand what Rich is getting at on some of his points - even a ministry oriented band/musician/artist/author has a goal to sell units. They may say the goal is to spread the Gospel, which is great, but the only way to do that is to sell units. It isn't a bad thing, it's the truth.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 3:47 pm

This is why I try to take what musicians/actors say with a grain of salt.  You aren't getting the whole picture on who they are, and no matter how much you like them they have a tendency to say things that will aggravate you (or just plain tick you off). 

As for your question Rich regarding why the rest of the band members put up with Michael and his attitude (at least as you see it)...is probably because he is the musical leader of the band.  He does most of the writing, recording, producing, promoting when compared to the other band members.  Stryper is the biggest thing (popularity wise) that any of those four men have been a part of.  I am also guessing that Micheal's personality hasn't changed much since the band started...and if they were willing to tolerate him back in the day...they must feel they can still do it now.  They are probably more like four brothers who love each other and are will willing to put up with personality issues here and there for the sake of the family.

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Plus I don't think they really live near each other, which is saying something in itself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2015 1:43 am

Here's the deal. To hell with the devil is the first christain heavy metal song I ever heard. and loved it. I discovered them when they had disbanded.

I agree that mike is insecure and has no filter. He talks trash. about other bands and artists. He says I'm not going to mention any names but here's the thing those bands that he's talked to and other solo artists know its them he talked to. . He acts like he's Gods gift to music. He's not. Someone sent me Fallen as a gift. I like it.

When he talks like he does in interviews about himself and other artists it makes me wanna put my cd in the trash. Anyway I know there are people on here that don't like the subject of Mike Sweet . I'm not trying to.trash the guy he does that to. himself. I also think he tries to hard to get the approval of the mainstream market. He wants to be all pal pal with the mainstream and still please his christain base.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Focus On Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Focus On Metal   Focus On Metal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Focus On Metal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: