Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot

Go down 
+6
Pro-Zak
alldatndensum
MikeInFla
Staybrite
ishmael81
rich71
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot Empty
PostSubject: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 2:16 pm

I know that I'm in the minority with this post and that's ok. He tried to stir the pot the other day by announcing that a dj on a metal show on siriusxm liked strypers newest single big screen lies. Which is all well in good but in my opinion he, michael starves and has a passion to be adored on both sides of the isle. Most of the time it seems michael likes to take the reigns from God and make his own will for his and strypers music. He tries to hard. Of course like predicted there were more than a few people who do not like big screen lies and like me only like yahweh so far. He became so defensive its ridiculous. Like what's wrong with you that you don't like this single blah blah. He sounds so insecure. I will not be getting "Fallen" . You don't see Les Carlsen posting crap like that or Rex Carroll or Jimi Bennett.

Like I said I know minority here. So far I don't think its that great Fallen that is....
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 3:10 pm

I don't know about minority but I'm pretty over Stryper/Michael Sweet.

I don't care if he wants secular success - the lyrics are still pretty clear what they think about Jesus. What turns me off is if someone says anything about their music that isn't total fanboy praise, his undies get all bunched up.

I don't post at CMR anymore but his replies to me (and others, for that matter) were hateful, sarcastic and rude. Way to make fans disappear Mike.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 3:28 pm

I think Micheal has a big personality...which is probably a major part of why his band is so popular.  That personality comes out in ways that many might find distasteful, but I see it as kind of a "taking the good with the bad" sort of deal.

I also see him as a serious marketer of his band/brand...which sadly in these days is probably necessary for a hard rock or metal musician to survive.  He has to get both Christians and non-Christians to buy his music or else he is going to starve.  So I see him getting excited about the secular radio mentioning Stryper in any kind of positive light as someone who is just hoping to get his music out to more people. The reason many Christian hard music fans might get "sick of him" is because we are already seeking out Stryper (and similar bands) so we hear their marketing rhetoric over and over...but the casual fan (who might still buy a record or attend a show) might only hear it once....or not at all.

Remember guys, we can't know Michael's heart.  And we have to try to take him at his word that he is living for our Lord.  To try and nit-pick his every action is detrimental to us and God's usefulness of us (and him).  Unless he start's to very visibly live in sin it seems counter productive to speculate about his motives.  He is also very human.  Your response expressing your distaste of his reaction to criticism looks like you are reacting in a similar manner as what you just accused him of.

At least that is they way I see it (and I say this with with much respect and love towards both of you brothers). Thumbs Up

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 3:30 pm

Yes, I am a big fan of Stryper, one of the few Christian bands that actually has talent IMO, but I think anyone who knows / remembers the history of Stryper should understand a little more about why he comes off as defensive.

The dude has been put through the wringer time and time again by so-called "Christians" who just want to tear them down.

Can you imagine being 21/22 years old, playing music for Jesus because you actually want to reach people...but then having mobs of "Christians" show up at your shows protesting you and calling you the devil? And even the preacher who played a major part in their turning to God start attacking you?

Can you imagine getting it both from non-Christians who want to tear you down because of your faith and also the Christians who were supposed to be on your side for support?

I'm sorry..I have watched over the years how many a*holes have tried to destroy him. Not to mention now in the social media age, where people spout pure hatred out every day without a filter towards anyone who doesn't fit their idea of the perfect celebrity.

I feel for the guys. And I fully understand why someone would build up his defenses and get to the point where they snap back at any negativity.

I have seen a lot of people go through a lot less but still become like that.

Try reading his book sometime...it may change your mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 3:37 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
I don't post at CMR anymore but his replies to me (and others, for that matter) were hateful, sarcastic and rude. Way to make fans disappear Mike.

Honestly, if you leave a forum because of one person, then maybe you need to stop being so easily offended.

I have NEVER seen Michael reply negatively to someone's comments that wasn't first rude to him.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I think Micheal has a big personality...which is probably a major part of why his band is so popular.  That personality comes out in ways that many might find distasteful, but I see it as kind of a "taking the good with the bad" sort of deal.

I also see him as a serious marketer of his band/brand...which sadly in these days is probably necessary for a hard rock or metal musician to survive.  He has to get both Christians and non-Christians to buy his music or else he is going to starve.  So I see him getting excited about the secular radio mentioning Stryper in any kind of positive light as someone who is just hoping to get his music out to more people. The reason many Christian hard music fans might get "sick of him" is because we are already seeking out Stryper (and similar bands) so we hear their marketing rhetoric over and over...but the casual fan (who might still buy a record or attend a show) might only hear it once....or not at all.

Remember guys, we can't know Michael's heart.  And we have to try to take him at his word that he is living for our Lord.  To try and nit-pick his every action is detrimental to us and God's usefulness of us (and him).  Unless he start's to very visibly live in sin it seems counter productive to speculate about his motives.  He is also very human.  Your response expressing your distaste of his reaction to criticism looks like you are reacting in a similar manner as what you just accused him of.

At least that is they way I see it (and I say this with with much respect and love towards both of you brothers). Thumbs Up

I'm not questioning his faith at all - I have many flaws. But I would think someone trying to market something, asking what we like or didn't like about it on a forum and then getting rude is not a successful business model. Maybe he wouldn't have to try so hard to market the band if he was more open to constructive criticism... ?

I have no doubt the band has helped countless - I was a fan for years. But that doesn't give anyone the right to treat people the way he does sometimes. Would you be okay with your pastor beig super-defensive and rude if you asked to see the budget for the church?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 3:56 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

Honestly, if you leave a forum because of one person, then maybe you need to stop being so easily offended.

I have NEVER seen Michael reply negatively to someone's comments that wasn't first rude to him.

I didn't leave over one person. Maybe I wasn't clear - there's two thoughts there.
1. I don't post there anymore (for several reasons).
2. When I did post there, Mr. Sweet was not very likeable in the interactions I had with him.

Sorry for the confusion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 4:10 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

I didn't leave over one person. Maybe I wasn't clear - there's two thoughts there.
1. I don't post there anymore (for several reasons).
2. When I did post there, Mr. Sweet was not very likeable in the interactions I had with him.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thumbs Up

Gotcha
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 5:44 pm

I'm not trying to tear him down at all. Like ismael81 said. Mike makes posts asking people what they think about the single. Every person who states they don't care for it gets a defensive response. Sometimes like some other person said he can be down right rude too. As far as them as having the only talent in the genre I disagree. With all. love and respect I think bands like Bloodgood, Saint, Letter7 Barren Cross all have talent. To be honest.I've always considered them to be a milk band. There's nothing wrong with that. G has called them to be like that. Milk meaning lyrically. I've considered them strong on the music side meaty musically milky lyrically. The above mentioned bands I consider meaty on both sides. They can write milk lyrics and meaty lyrics. Petra is like that too. He gets (Mike that is) gets way too defensive when you don't like a song. Its like he takes it personally
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 6:27 pm

Just trying to tell you both how "you" can come across in making posts like this.  Not at all trying to put words in your mouth.  If part of my response doesn't apply to you then so be it, but endless complaints about Christian musicians can make all of us forum and facebook users look like a bunch of bitter angry people regardless of how the musicians have acted.
I really like everybody at this small community (especially you guys), but the negativity just seems to breed more negativity.  People are human, they are going to let you down or tick you off...it's how you handle it that defines you in the eyes of others.  Especially in a medium that doesn't really allow for much emotion to show through.  But if I'm completely off base feel free to tell me and I will just shut up about it.

And for the record if Stryper or Micheal Sweet never recorded another album I wouldn't loose a single minutes sleep... I dig Stryper, but I can certainly live without them, so it isn't as if I am some super fanboy just sticking up for my beloved heroes.

Last edited by Staybrite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Rich71..

For the record, I said that they were one of the few talented Christian bands...not the only one.That's a big difference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 8:03 pm

I also said IMO....

Wink
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3118
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 8:34 pm

Personally, I don't care what he says or what he does I am going to buy it because I genuinely LIKE it. Same with Van Halen. I don't like what Eddie says about Sammy and Michael Anthony but I like his music well enough that I will continue to buy Van Halen music (if they release another studio album I will buy it the day it is released).

And I might add that BSL is the weakest of the 3 tracks I have heard so far, no big deal. That doesn't mean it is a bad tune. I also don't like ballads on Stryper records I can simply skip the tracks I don't want to hear.
Back to top Go down
rich71

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 12:23 am

I don't want strife. Love all my brothers here. I won't be getting Fallen as a whole unit. There might be some mote tracks on it that I like but won't know for sure until its released. I'm also a Christain or a follower of Christ type of music fan. Its just my personal preference. I also don't like everything that christain bands put out. . I haven't bought a whole cd in years simply because. usually don't like every track on them...The last one that I liked most of the songs off of was Bloodgoods Dangerously Close. Before that all 3 Letter7 cds. .
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 7:08 am

Without quoting, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Staybrite's statements.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3118
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 7:47 am

Staybrite wrote:

but I can certainly live with them, so it isn't as if I am some super fanboy just sticking up for my beloved heroes.
You mean you LIVE with Stryper? That's cool! Do they play you riffs and bounce song ideas off you? Do you attend practice sessions? lol!

Smile

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Back to top Go down
Pro-Zak

Pro-Zak

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 8:41 am

NoOneIsHere wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

Yea, I didn't see that either, but I certainly did see folks picking him apart there, from questioning his motives to every lyrical line in every song to see if they pass the "Christian Muster"...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 9:07 am

Candlemass wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

Yea, I didn't see that either, but I certainly did see folks picking him apart there, from questioning his motives to every lyrical line in every song to see if they pass the "Christian Muster"...

Exactly....

Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 10:27 am

Gotta get that JPM level up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 11:16 am

Well please everyone forgive my involvement in this thread. I did not mean to stir so much negativity in my comments. I was merely relating my experiences and why those things turned me off from a particular band's music.

Sorry for any strife or dissension I caused. I was clearly in the wrong.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 2:46 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

but I can certainly live with them, so it isn't as if I am some super fanboy just sticking up for my beloved heroes.
You mean you LIVE with Stryper? That's cool! Do they play you riffs and bounce song ideas off you? Do you attend practice sessions? lol!

Smile

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

And that is why I don't work in publishing, I must have read that part twice and never caught it! Laughing

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 2:48 pm

rich71 wrote:
I don't want strife. Love all my brothers here. I won't be getting Fallen as a whole unit. There might be some mote tracks on it that I like but won't know for sure until its released. I'm also a Christain or a follower of Christ type of music fan. Its just my personal preference. I also don't like everything that christain bands put out. . I haven't bought a whole cd in years simply because. usually don't like every track on them...The last one that I liked most of the songs off of was Bloodgoods Dangerously Close. Before that all 3 Letter7 cds. .

I have no problem with that myself, and I can certainly understand your view.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 2:55 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Well please everyone forgive my involvement in this thread. I did not mean to stir so much negativity in my comments. I was merely relating my experiences and why those things turned me off from a particular band's music.

I don't think you are wrong.  I would certainly agree that Michael can come across as coarse and maybe even abrasive in some of his written responses to criticism.  And if his responses rubbed you the wrong way I can certain understand why you would want to be done with any interaction with him (even if it means you don't want to purchase any of is music).

I was only trying to point out how we may be perceived about criticism of musicians, and maybe putting out the possibility that Michael doesn't intend to come across like a jerk....(as possibly that isn't what is in his heart)
The forums can be a tricky place to have any kind of conversation.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 3:15 pm

On a related note I can imagine that the forums (including facebook) can be a great, but difficult place for bands to relate to their fans (and ultimately customers).  It seems like they come in a few categories. (record label owners, podcast/radio DJs...would fall into these categories as well)

1. Musicians who post only when they have something to promote.  For whatever reason we only see these band members when they have new music out, or if they are promoting a show/concert event.   It seems as if many regular posters can get angry at these people for what is perceived as “free advertising” and this practice is frowned upon at most forums.  But it could also be that the musician is afraid to interact with the forum members too much for fear that they will become a target of the posters anger.

2. Musicians who post quite often and have very strong opinions and stances on certain issues.  If these musicians are vocal about their convictions they are almost guaranteed to lose a part of their fan base…no matter how tactful they are in voicing their opinions.  If you don’t believe me..let me throw out a few names and see what you think their band’s fan base is just as large as it was 10 years ago. Luke Easter, Dale Thompson, Joshua Perahia.

3. Musicians who will post on occasion but never disagree with anyone, and almost always seem positive (not many of these I can think of).  They are usually silent on posts with divisive issues.  These people come across as disingenuous to most (at least they do to me). 

So how is a band member to win when it comes to the internet?  I don’t know…just glad it isn’t me.

Sorry for the long post (and yes I realize this is my fourth consecutive post on this thread….and I do feel like I’m talking to myself, but I am the coolest, most interesting and humble person I know…so why wouldn’t I want to talk to me?)

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

I don't think you are wrong.  I would certainly agree that Michael can come across as coarse and maybe even abrasive in some of his written responses to criticism.  And if his responses rubbed you the wrong way I can certain understand why you would want to be done with any interaction with him (even if it means you don't want to purchase any of is music).

I was only trying to point out how we may be perceived about criticism of musicians, and maybe putting out the possibility that Michael doesn't intend to come across like a jerk....(as possibly that isn't what is in his heart)
The forums can be a tricky place to have any kind of conversation.

I hear you. I'm currently going through being attacked for being divisive (in my personal life, not here) so I'm trying really hard to be part of conversations without seeming argumentative.

Honestly, at the time I was on the fence about Stryper (due to Mike's vocals, not a big fan) and that kind of pushed me over the edge...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot   Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael Sweet Stirring The Pot
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next