Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Artsy Fartsy

Go down 
+14
Fundy
metaldude
BearDad
Through The Dark Radio
messiaen77
Xid
Redeemed Fool
Driven
rockerVu2
kerrick
alldatndensum
xenonlion
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I can't draw a believable stick man to save my life.  But, occasionally I can pick an ol' guitar or bass.  Here is the fan song that sabidoo & I did for the Tim Ridley Show that is featured on XM Radio.  I am playing all the guitars (including leads) and bass.  Also, I am doing all vocals.  All drums, sound effects, and chicken shakers were played by sabidoo:

That is good stuff!  Now I'm hungry...
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks Messiaen77. While it may be a bit tedious and time consuming, the hardest part is if an "eye" is torn/damaged - that's when you HAVE to get it right. You can be arbitrary with some missing "lip" or "nose", but the eyes give the person away. Get the eye(s) wrong and you change what the person even looks like.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 12:10 am

Ok , I didn't create this (my 16 year old son did).  He told me he wanted a desk and I said "Hey, you are a third year shop student, make your own desk).  So I bought him the stuff and he made it.  He made the chair too.  

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 IMG_9777_zpsfprorzaq

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 am

That looks beautiful - and solid, too, which is what counts. Smile
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 8:57 am

That looks wonderful Staybrite.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 10:17 am

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3507
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 11:03 am

Wow that looks great!  Tell him nicely done!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 12:30 pm

That is excellent ! He didn't just build a basic desk - he took time to design it and did a heckuva job at that ! Very nice indeed.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Well, this isn't exactly the kind of thing we do around here, but here's something I came up with.  I'm still tinkering with it a bit because there's something I'm just not satisfied with yet.

Christine

Last edited by messiaen77 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 1:23 pm

I'll throw some "Blasts from the Pasts" in here...

I did this freehand portrait of Paul Stanley in 10th grade... I had a bit of learning to do when it came to shading.

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Paul10
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 1:31 pm

I drew this for a friend in my senior year, since he and his gal told me they were planning on getting married right out of high school and having kids (which they DID, and they're STILL married !)

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Pencil13
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 8:39 am

I have SLOWLY begun working through a book used in high school art classes called "You Can Draw In 30 Days".  It is going to take me more than 30 days, however, as I am not doing a lesson every day.  Shoot, I didn't do anything after the first lesson for nearly 2 weeks!  LOL 

Right now, I have finished the first 3 lessons and will be posting some of the exercises on Facebook and here as well.  So far, there's nothing to really brag about, but it is interesting using some shading techniques to see something I've drawn begin to come to life.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 11:03 am

That's very cool Chris. My grandma (dad's mom) was a serious, career artist in oil paints. She's the one who trained me at a very young age. I told you that to tell you this: It was a crack up, cuz nothing I did earned her praise - she would always find something that should've been done different. Which, when you're a little kid, you're just looking for "praise" for your creations, not criticism.
However, that criticism is what made my works better as I got older. I could hear her voice in my head while drawing: "More shading ! Remember what I taught you about 'value' ! "
haha
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 11:18 am

I need to learn what all those terms mean!  LOL  I also need to find what I want to try to paint first.  I am thinking of trying to paint a picture of my church.  I'd like to capture it in photo from the hillside above the church and then paint that.

Here's my first artistic sketch I did from the book where I am learning to draw.  I call it "Tennis Balls".

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Tennis10

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 11:42 am

Nice ! Just like my grandma would say "more shading !" haha.

My teacher made me draw this when I was in 9th grade - I didn't understand why at the time, but as I grew in my art studies, it began to get more clear.
(I used a 6B and made the gradation down to a 6H)

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Value10

Here's a cool guide for pencil grades. You use each pencil based on the parts of the picture are lighter or darker.

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Lead_g10

All "value" or "shading" does is give WEIGHT to your picture. A light picture doesn't look like it has any weight to it, where a sharply contrasted light to dark picture makes something look like it has mass.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 1:25 pm

This DLR was done in 10th grade - One of the cool methods I learned when shading this was the "fingertip" method. Lay down the amount of dark shading you want in a given area, then smear it around with your fingertip. You can also use a Q-Tip for smearing. Or if you're really into your art, go to the art store and buy what's called a "Smudge Stick". (I prefer my pinky finger though- works just as good)

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Dlr10
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 1:37 pm

These are cartoons I drew from real-life "inspired" customers in pharmacy over the last 25 years.

I had a bunch more, but ended up giving them away over the years... (some got confiscated and destroyed when a manager found them hanging on the back door of our pharmacy bathroom - haha!)

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Work_d16

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Work_d15

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Work_d14

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Work_d13

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Work_d12

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Work_d11

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Work_d10
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 8:41 pm

You could've gone into editorial cartooning. Razz
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 4:46 pm

^ haha really.

The picture of me on the phone saying "pharmacy is such a rewarding career" actually didn't have that typing on top. Originally it had 2 cut out sections where a long piece of cardboard fit thru it - below it said "..days until vacation" - and everyday I would slide the piece of cardboard the had numbers on it, so that I could do a countdown.
A manager thought that it was not good for the morale of others so I had to change it. He didn't like the new one, so I just took it down so I wouldn't come to work one day and find out he threw it out.

Yes, I worked for a bunch of jerks in the past
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 6:06 pm

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Silly_10

This was just one of the exercises in the drawing lessons I am doing at home.  The book I am using is called "You Can Draw In 30 Days".  It's just a bunch of silly circles to practice some 3d drawing and shading.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 6:07 pm

The last lesson I did suggested finding a box in the house and drawing it.  Here is the original box:

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Cc110

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 6:08 pm

And here is my recreation.  I did learn that, at least for a while, I need to use a ruler or some other straight edge when I do boxes or cubes.

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Cc210

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Here is another lesson from the book I am using.  It was a lesson on drawing more complex boxes & 3-D cubes.  The bonus challenge at the end was to draw a choice of several things.  I chose the treasure chest.  I added a couple of things like the coins in the sand and a sea shell. 

I need to work on proportions.  My lid, if you study the drawing closely, is definitely too small to cover the box.  Most folks won't notice that, but I did after I saw it online.

Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 Treasu10

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm glad you drew the box with the designs and not me... I hate having to draw monotonous things - pictures where you have to draw the same thing over and over like patterns... I'm SO impatient.

Your work's lookin great man !
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Not bad for a beginner is what I think!  I am just 5 lessons in.  I think I will improve with each technique I learn from this book.  After this one, I will see what else I can find to help improve my drawing and also my painting.  It is my goal to be able to draw/paint realistic scenery either from a photo or my invention.  I would like to learn to do portraits, too, but I know that is realistically a LONG way off.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Artsy Fartsy   Artsy Fartsy - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Artsy Fartsy
Page 4 of 23Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: