Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Shout "Name Contest" ??

Go down 
+2
Xid
Guilty/Forgiven
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9945
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Shout "Name Contest" ?? Empty
PostSubject: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 8:51 am

So I was "sittin' around" reading an issue of CCM magazine from October 1989 and in a news segment they call the Insider, I came across an interesting blurb. The paragraph talks about the band named "Shout" having to change their name, assuming someone else already had that name - to me, the article is a bit vague, are they talking about Tamplin's band "Shout" or another Shout ?
And when all was said and done.... Shout never changed their name... so what gives here ? I found the article a bit confusing. Perhaps it IS Tamplin's band, and the "other" Shout backed out ?

Anyone here have any insight regarding the name issues this classic HARD ROCK band had back then ?

Shout "Name Contest" ?? Shout10
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5512
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 9:45 am

According to Wikipedia:

"The band dissolved in 1989 due to primarily two issues: the "inability of Christian music to financially support artists"[9] despite having sold in excess of 100,000 albums by that time,[4] and a lawsuit over naming rights, where Tamplin was held to have the right to record under the name Shout, but an east coast band had the right to perform with it.[9] Tamplin went on to pursue a solo career. Two compilations were issued before Tamplin reformed the band. New material was issued in their 1999 release, Shout Back."

Last edited by Xid on Tue May 27, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 10:10 am

^ Very interesting... Suppose that's why Tamplin's first solo after all this was called "An Axe To Grind" ? Obviously the fans get the double meaning with the old saying and a guitar being called an axe (grinding would be shredding on it).... however, it's possible that there's a third purpose for the title, and that was the whole band "name" issue with the copyright mucky mucks making a fuss about ?
Interesting. I've learned something today.
Thanks Xid !
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 11:51 am

Wow, very interesting indeed. I have to confess that I thought Shout was a rather feeble name anyway.

Xid

Number of posts : 5512
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 1:02 pm

That could very well be why he named his album An Ax to Grind.

I didn't even know there was a name dispute until today.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Wow, very interesting indeed.  I have to confess that I thought Shout was a rather feeble name anyway.

Band names are kind of fluid... for example "Van Halen"... I'll bet initial thoughts were "this doesn't sound like a cool rock band... sounds like a classical ensemble... or maybe a restaurant"  Laughing 
But years later after they made it big, the name "Van Halen" is synonymous with an excellent rock band with one of the best guitarists ever.

Had Shout (with their feeble name - and I agree that the name is rather weak) made it HUGE and were a household name, I think we'd see the name Shout much differently.

Idk, I could be wrong.. once again I am thinking out loud.

What's your thoughts on band names... some are "cool", some are "lame", but even a band with a lame name can arise to a high status and the name goes with them.

(Am I over-thinking this ?)
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Interesting. For some reason. I thought it had something to do with the laundry detergent and trademark.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

LOL - they could've done a commercial spot with that song "Shout it out !"
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Wow, very interesting indeed.  I have to confess that I thought Shout was a rather feeble name anyway.

Had Shout (with their feeble name - and I agree that the name is rather weak) made it HUGE and were a household name, I think we'd see the name Shout much differently.

True, there was this kind of important rock band with the incredibly goofy name of Led Zeppelin.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 11:28 pm

Oh, don't EVEN get me started on lame names of bands that certainly did NOT make it big based on their well-thought-out name. So many great bands, brilliant artists, songs we love, so many came from bands with the dorkiest names.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3116
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 10:15 am

Yeah, I have known about the Shout name thing for years. Kind of worked out where both could use it, one could record with it, one could tour with it. Makes no sense at all to me. Personally, I never minded the name Shout. They had some good tunes and that's what mattered to me regardless of their name.

As for Led Zeppelin, they got their name from Keith Moon of The Who. When Jimmy told him he was forming a new band out of The New Yardbirds with Plant, Bonham & Jones Keith told him "that will go over about as well as a lead zeppelin". And the name was born!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 2:48 pm

And as has always been the cool thing to do since then, is to drop a letter.

Lead

Led

Millions of bands since then have done this in their names.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
And as has always been the cool thing to do since then, is to drop a letter.

Lead

Led

Millions of bands since then have done this in their names.

At least one even copied the entire Led Zep format ie Def Leppard

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 11:13 pm

I never knew about the name issue for Shout.  I always liked the name and thought it was a cool name.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shout "Name Contest" ??   Shout "Name Contest" ?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shout "Name Contest" ??
Page 1 of 1