Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pointless Discussion Vol.7

Go down 
+3
Driven
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Pointless Discussion Vol.7 Empty
PostSubject: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I was listening to White Wedding by Billy Idol - classic old song that most people dig... 

It gets towards the end of the song and he screams like a little girl (you know the part, when you kind of cringe and feel a little embarrassed for him).

My question is: Do you think there are artists/bands who finish recording a song and it gets out in circulation and played on the radio and in many cases becomes a huge hit, after some time in circulation, wish they could've done something different in a song ? Lyrically ? Or vox (like Billy's horrible girly scream), or even an instrument segment that they would have changed ?

Since that's more of a yes or no question, here's the actual discussion: Can you think of any songs, popular or otherwise, that if you were in the band, you would've done a portion differently, or not at all ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 5:29 pm

I believe this absolutely does happen, and often the band/artist changes the song for live performances from then on. I read an interview with Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart that they were not at all happy with the keyboard drenched version of "Alone" from their Bad Animals album, so now they perform it as an acoustic guitar ballad for pretty much all of their performances.

I have also heard more than one artist indicate the many of the "ooo ooo, la la, na na or yeah yeah," type non-word sounds done by singers in songs are often the result of unfinished song lyrics that never did get resolved before the band had to hit the studio.

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 5:59 pm

I can imagine that Geddy Lee now wishes he hadn't sung so high in the '70s. Razz
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 6:06 pm

^ THAT is interesting trivia ! I never knew that, but it really makes sense. I've heard some songs that annoyed me with seemingly mis-placed ooohs and ahs la la yeahs etc.

I hate repetition with a passion, but the only song I like that has a lot of na na na na nahnahs is Journey's lovin touchin squeezing. I think they planned that though. I guess, maybe they didn't, who knows ?

I guess one of the advantages of recording something you don't like in a song that becomes a hit is the fact that you can play it in concert how you want.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 6:20 pm

danielbandfan wrote:
I can imagine that Geddy Lee now wishes he hadn't sung so high in the '70s. Razz

Geddy may think that today, but his fans don't. I love his vox. With Rush I can't really think of any songs that have quirky spots they may wish they never did.

They probably wish they could go back and change the names of some songs 
::cough::By-Tor And The Snow Dog::cough::
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Ozzy/Lita Close My Eyes Forever.  Ozzy's "Close your eyes for meeeee" at the end.  I would have at least redone the "meeee".
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

I hate repetition with a passion, but the only song I like that has a lot of na na na na nahnahs is Journey's lovin touchin squeezing. I think they planned that though. I guess, maybe they didn't, who knows ?

You would never know unless the artist mentioned something about it. I think it might have been Chrissy Hynde from the Pretenders that said that (but I could be remembering it wrong).

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 2:16 am

Well supposedly Vanilla Ice regrets the whole "Ice, Ice Baby" thing.  Except the paydays.  I imagine he is ok with those.
Back to top Go down
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 8:51 am

Styx and the whole Kilroy Was Here thing!
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 9:07 am

Domo arigato Mr. Roboto!

Catchy tune though.
Back to top Go down
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 9:26 am

True! But even Tommy Shaw and JY have both said they were embarrassed by that whole album and tour
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 11:07 am

Only Dennis wanted to do the theatrics.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 12:50 pm

If you ask Dee Snider the Senate Commerce Committee regrets asking him to speak at the PMRC hearings. Gotta love the healthy self-esteem of that guy.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 10:29 am

I believe Steve Taylor wishes he could have done a lot of his songs differently after hearing the tribute album done for him.  He likes most of the other bands versions of his songs.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 11:22 am

messiaen77 wrote:
If you ask Dee Snider the Senate Commerce Committee regrets asking him to speak at the PMRC hearings. Gotta love the healthy self-esteem of that guy.

lol!  BIG TIME ! He seriously burned them to a crisp ! They had to act like he was just a lowly "rocker" who was beneath them, but Snyder spoke as intelligently as a lawyer with arguments that gave them pause... loved it !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pointless Discussion Vol.7   Pointless Discussion Vol.7 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pointless Discussion Vol.7
Page 1 of 1