Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Christmas 2011

Go down 
+7
ChosenOne
topshot rhit
rockerVu2
Driven
Staybrite
alldatndensum
Guilty/Forgiven
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16575
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Christmas 2011 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 5:06 pm

Staybrite, that is one of your favorite bands isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Certainly one of my favortie "new" bands. I just wish they would put out a full albums worth of material instead of just EPs. They have released 3 EPs and one single, for a total of 15 songs since 2008.

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 11:28 pm

I found a new album I love this year--A Very She and Him Christmas. It's kind of a folky/croonery type thing from Zooey Deschannel and some guy.
Back to top Go down
Ascension

Ascension

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 4:11 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Certainly one of my favortie "new" bands. I just wish they would put out a full albums worth of material instead of just EPs. They have released 3 EPs and one single, for a total of 15 songs since 2008.
This was the first time I had heard them. I like the stuff reminds me of the old band Normandy a LOT. Wonder what ever happened to Norm and Mandy??
Back to top Go down
Ascension

Ascension

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Right now I am spinning the Vol I of Neil Zaza's One Silent Night and one I picked up at a Pawn Shop called Red hot Christmas Blues. Both are older CD's. I REALLY like the Kutlass version of Mary Did You Know. Wish I could post some links but not yet so---.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Ascension wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
This was the first time I had heard them. I like the stuff reminds me of the old band Normandy a LOT. Wonder what ever happened to Norm and Mandy??

It does remind me a bit of Normandy as well (maybe even a bit more rockin'). I have no idea where I heard it (or even if it is completely true), but I heard Norm and Mandy took a break from music when they had their first child. I guess they just haven't felt the call to start record again.

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Favorite Christmas song of all time for me has always been "Hark, the herald angels sing". This is the deepest song lyrically, covering our salvation and the nature of our Savior. Read the lyrics, don't sing them, just read them... each line is almost inspired:

Hark the herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled"
Joyful, all ye nations rise
Join the triumph of the skies
With the angelic host proclaim:
"Christ is born in Bethlehem"
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

Christ by highest heav'n adored
Christ the everlasting Lord!
Late in time behold Him come
Offspring of a Virgin's womb
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see
Hail the incarnate Deity
Pleased as man with man to dwell
Jesus, our Emmanuel

Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings
Ris'n with healing in His wings
Mild He lays His glory by
Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth
Born to give them second birth

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Ok here's one that's always bugged me -

The lyrics go "Haste, haste, to bring Him laud, the babe, the son of Mary"

The whole song rhymes throughout, except here... why say "the son of Mary", when GOD rhymes with LAUD ????
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:23 pm

Well, in most early versions of the text the line "the babe, the Son of Mary" is the same for each of the verses while the other lines are different, so I think the author's intent is to emphasize the Virgin Birth. Also the assertion that the whole song rhymes except for this pair of lines is inaccurate. The only consistent rhymes are the 2nd and 4th lines and the 5th and 6th lines of each verse. Lines 1 and 3 and 7 and 8 never rhyme. (abcbddef is the rhyme scheme for each verse)
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:26 pm

I must confess I'm having a difficult time getting into my metal Christmas music this year. So far the ones I keep coming back to are She & Him and Sufjan Stevens, which is really odd because I hate sad, depressing Christmas songs and most of his originals are just that. I will say I can always get a metal jolt from Twisted Sister--that seems to be the one I keep going back to.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 6:17 pm

I like this one.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 6:22 pm

messiaen77 = yeah, I guess you're right on that... but don't you think it would flow better if the line had "God" to rhyme with Laud ? Idk, just me I guess. Smile
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
messiaen77 = yeah, I guess you're right on that... but don't you think it would flow better if the line had "God" to rhyme with Laud ? Idk, just me I guess. Smile

You would have to sing Go-d instead of God for it to work.

The babe, the son of Ma-ry
The babe, the son of Go-d
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Quote :
You would have to sing Go-d instead of God for it to work

I wouldn't be singin anything cuz I cain't sing No
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

I don't know about musically, but theologically speaking I would rather have God there than Mary.

BTW, I hope I didn't come across as 'gee you idiot...,' if so I'm sorry. It was not my intention at all.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 2:40 pm

We could take this Mary debate to Catholicism, but… um… how about not. lol!

Anyway, I like how What Child Is This is in 3/4 timing or something. Makes for interesting drumming. Smile
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Speaking of Mary, I rather like that CCM song "Mary Did You Know?" I think most people probably consider it a Christmas song.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Quote :
BTW, I hope I didn't come across as 'gee you idiot...,' if so I'm sorry. It was not my intention at all

Not taken that way at all my friend. You're someone who understands music and I find it very interesting to learn about how and why the music is written the way it is.
I don't really have a problem with it theologically, cuz like you said, it's focus is on the virgin birth. I just thought why use an obscure word like LAUD with out rhyming it with GOD. (but that's why the professionals write music and not me) Laughing

As far as "Mary did you know?" - I think that song is amazing !! The Christian comedian Mark Lowry wrote that, and we bought it the year he released it. His version to this day is the most beautiful one. I still get chills when I listen to it.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 5:53 pm

I have both the Gaither Vocal Band (with Mark Lowery singing) and the Kutless version of "Mary Did You Know?".

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 11:24 pm

danielbandfan wrote:

Anyway, I like how What Child Is This is in 3/4 timing or something. Makes for interesting drumming. Smile

Yeah, no real desire to argue the Mary stuff and I don't think Protestants should get hung up on it since the Virgin Birth is a doctrine we hold as well.

As for the time, it is in 6/8 I believe, which is what we call a compound meter. Anyone not interested in listening to this music theory geek should go ahead and move on to the next post. Very Happy Don't worry, I won't be offended. Ok, in a nutshell, compound meters divide each beat into three equal parts as opposed to the two equal parts we find in "simple meters" like 4/4, 3/4, etc. So, one measure of 6/8 is composed of the equivalent of 6 eighth notes, but the unit of the beat is the dotted quarter note, so there are only 2 beats in the measure, not the 6 we would expect.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 1:29 am

[quote="Guilty/Forgiven"]
Quote :

As far as "Mary did you know?" - I think that song is amazing !! The Christian comedian Mark Lowry wrote that, and we bought it the year he released it. His version to this day is the most beautiful one. I still get chills when I listen to it.

Alldat wrote:

I have both the Gaither Vocal Band (with Mark Lowery singing) and the Kutless version of "Mary Did You Know?".

Ok, I liked that Kutless version so much I actually downloaded the song....so I guess I officially own one Christmas song. (lol)

Ascension

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 2:47 am

Staybrite wrote:

Ok, I liked that Kutless version so much I actually downloaded the song....so I guess I officially own one Christmas song. (lol)

We are doing it at w Church next week it's cool is it not??
If you want to play with it here is the chart.

Mary Did You Know

Em D Am Bsus B7

Mary
did you know that your baby boy would someday walk on water

Em D Am Bsus B7

Mary
did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters

Am D G D/F#
Em

Did
you know that your baby boy has come to make you new

Am Am Bsus B

This
child that you've delivered will soon deliver you

Em D Am Bsus B7

Mary
did you know that your baby boy will give sight to a blind man

Em D Am Bsus B7

Mary
did you know that your baby boy will calm the storm with his hand

Am D G D/F# Em

Did
you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod

Am Am Bsus B7

When
you've kissed your little baby then you've kissed the face of God

Em
D Am Bsus B7 Em D Am Bsus B7

Mary did you know Mary did you know

C D Em D
C

The
blind will see, the deaf will hear, the dead will live again

Am D Em Bsus
B7

The
lame will leap, the dumb will speak, the praises of the lamb

Em D Am Bsus
B7

Mary
did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation

Em D Am Bsus B7

Mary
did you know that your baby boy will one day rule the nations

Am D G D/F#
Em

Did
you know that your baby boy was heaven's perfect lamb

Am Am Bsus B7 Em
D Am B7 Em

This
sleeping child you're holding is the great "I AM"
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 8:56 am

messiaen77 wrote:
danielbandfan wrote:

Yeah, no real desire to argue the Mary stuff and I don't think Protestants should get hung up on it since the Virgin Birth is a doctrine we hold as well.

As for the time, it is in 6/8 I believe, which is what we call a compound meter. Anyone not interested in listening to this music theory geek should go ahead and move on to the next post. Very Happy Don't worry, I won't be offended. Ok, in a nutshell, compound meters divide each beat into three equal parts as opposed to the two equal parts we find in "simple meters" like 4/4, 3/4, etc. So, one measure of 6/8 is composed of the equivalent of 6 eighth notes, but the unit of the beat is the dotted quarter note, so there are only 2 beats in the measure, not the 6 we would expect.

I wasn't sure about the song's timing, but I checked last night and the song is indeed 6/8. I was already aware of what 6/8 consists of Smile
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 9:35 pm

Sorry, I have been out of the classroom since May and it just slipped out of me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2011   Christmas 2011 - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christmas 2011
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2