Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Reading list - 2010!!!

Go down 
+4
Staybrite
sabidoo
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 2:45 am

Just started to read "Safely Home" Randy Alcorn.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Just finished 'His Dark Materials'. Pullman is a very good writer, but alas, his atheistic tendencies ruined what could have been the most epic trilogy since Lord of the Rings. Guess I need to pray for the guy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 12:32 am

[/quote]
Let me know what you think of that (when you get to it). I was a little less than impressed.....kinda seemed like he was working on autopilot.
[/quote]

Well... I just finished Immanuel's Veins, and came away with mixed feelings. My wife also read it and we agree with the feeling he was writing on autopilot, at least for the first half of the book. As a story it was semi-allegorical, which I didn't have a problem with, but...it lacked a depth I have seen in other books by Dekker. I did, however like the ties to the Circle quadrilogy. In all, a good read, but not a great read. Don't get me wrong, I like Ted Dekker. A lot. I just don't think this story rises to the level hinted at by the testimonials in the front of the book. My 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 1:17 am

joe61 wrote:

....we agree with the feeling he was writing on autopilot, at least for the first half of the book. As a story it was semi-allegorical, which I didn't have a problem with, but...it lacked a depth I have seen in other books by Dekker. I did, however like the ties to the Circle quadrilogy.......

I would have to agree with all of that. I think you were a little easier on Dekker than I was though. I have come to expect a little more from him, and thought it was definately in the bottom 30% of his work. On a scale of one to ten I think I would have given it a 5 or 6.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Smile

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23480
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 10:01 am

Although I have not read this, I will admit that I felt the same with "Green"--the 4th book of the Circle series. I think the 1st three were awesome but the last one was on autopilot. Ted's best work in the past couple of years was when he co-wrote with Erin Healy.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 10:51 am

I agree with you on Green, but there wasn't much he could do with that story but tie up loose ends with it. not much room for creativity. I've only read Kiss, but it is very good. my wife is currently reading Burn, and I'm planning to scarf it up when she gets done with it. One thing I do like about Immanuel's Veins is how he ties vampirism with the Nephilim.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Yep, I think his best writing in the last few years has been those two books he collaborated on with Erin Healy (but I thought Green was still better than Immanuel's Veins).
Maybe it's time for him and Frank Peretti to do another book together.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 12:05 am

Quote :

Time to get those eyes checked. Erin Healy is a female.
lol!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 10:57 am

[quote="alldatndensum"]
Quote :

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Seems these days Mr. Dekker is doing his best work as part of a team.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 5:23 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Quote :

Time to get those eyes checked. Erin Healy is a female.
lol!

I knew she was a female, what does that have to do with my comment?
Didn't Dekker and Peretti collaborate on that "House" book? It wasn't my favorite genre, but it was well written.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 9:23 am

Whoops....maybe I need to wear my glasses. I missed Frank Peretti's name! lol!

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 9:24 am

Since it is a new year, it's time for a whole new reading list.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Goodbye 2010 reading list......we will miss you.

PouncerW

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Just recently finished
Tilly by Frank Peretti

I Have read all of Peretti's adult focused Novels
I may have to pick up "The Oath" again.

Also just read a book called
"Take the Challenge" The life of George Cambell
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 8:31 am

PouncerW, there is a sticky topic on this page for this. This thread has been dead for months as it should be since it was the 2010 list. Please repost this in the 2011 thread stuck at the top of the forum list. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading list - 2010!!!   Reading list - 2010!!! - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reading list - 2010!!!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5