Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Knowing-The Movie

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 12:46 am

Anyone else see this movie w/Nicolas Cage. Hard to answer questions about it without giving away the ending, but it does have Christian overtones in it?. If you have seen it did you think it was biblical or more sci-fi? Just curious
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:37 pm

I haven't seen it, but my wife was/is a big Nick Cage fan.
If it isn't too gory (or disgusting) we will probably see it on DVD eventually.

But that doesn't do anything to help you with your question (sorry).

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 10:17 pm

It's not gory or disgusting. In fact it is a realativley clean movie. Just the spiritual context I was curious. Not one of Nic Cages best (see Con Air) but it is good
Back to top Go down
Dreams

Dreams

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:42 am

I like the movie a lot. The end scene was like something out of C.S. Lewis's Perelandra from the Out Of The Silent Planet series. There were some struggles of faith in the film and some references to prophesy. But the movie left me with the feeling that God doesn't have control over His creations...and that something had to save the remnants of humanity in the last second to avoid extinction. Overall that could be a Biblical message in itself. The two children in the film could represent a sort of rapture before judgement...I don't know, maybe I'm just reaching.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 11:52 pm

Oooohhh, I just watched this ! Me like !

That was pretty heavy.

and yes... there is a lot of Biblical symbolism in it. (esp the fact that the first thing they did was head for the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil Laughing ) [If you saw the movie, you get that joke]
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 4:05 pm

I just saw it hte night before last. I wasn't all that thrilled with the music, it was like a horror film soundtrack.
The special effects were really cool, but I hate to say that I thought the alien thing was a little "silly" (for lack of a better word). Not really a bad movie, but it kind of had that "horror flick" feeling in a lot of places and I really do not dig horror flicks at all.

Dreams wrote:
There were some struggles of faith in the film and some references to prophesy. But the movie left me with the feeling that God doesn't have control over His creations...and that something had to save the remnants of humanity in the last second to avoid extinction.

That was pretty much the way I was left feeling too. "Good thing the aliens stepped in to save our species, because God was conspicuously absent". I didn't dig that, but have come to expect it from secular Hollywood.

Guilty wrote:
and yes... there is a lot of Biblical symbolism in it. (esp the fact that the first thing they did was head for the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil Laughing ) [If you saw the movie, you get that joke]

My wife said (at the end of the flick) "Boy I sure hope that isn't the tree of the knowledge of good and evil."
Cracked me up.
lol!

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Quote :
That was pretty much the way I was left feeling too. "Good thing the aliens stepped in to save our species, because God was conspicuously absent". I didn't dig that, but have come to expect it from secular Hollywood.

Funny--I felt just the opposite when I watched this. The "creatures" were never said to be alien. When they began to rise from the ground to ascend into those crafts (if they were even spaceships), they took on a very "angelic" look. Instead of aliens stepping in, I thought the director was showing a different take on the whole "rapture issue".

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 8:45 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

Funny--I felt just the opposite when I watched this. The "creatures" were never said to be alien. When they began to rise from the ground to ascend into those crafts (if they were even spaceships), they took on a very "angelic" look. Instead of aliens stepping in, I thought the director was showing a different take on the whole "rapture issue".

Ok, I can see how someone "might" interpret it that way, but.....

A. So only a few hundred "children" (or people) where taken up in the rapture? It's not as if they weren't showing hundreds of those "ship-thingys" leaving the planet.

B. What about the rest of the tribulation. Kind of looks like we just got one "Horseman of the Apocalypse" and his name was "Burn the entire planet to a Cinder"?

lol!

Admin
alldatndensum

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 10:40 pm

I didn't say that it wasn't a LOOSE interpretation. lol!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 10:56 pm

It definitely strayed far from anything Biblically "accurate"... they just borrowed stuff from Scriptural Prophecy.

And I didn't interpret them as aliens at all, but the author's attempt at "angels". A couple reasons why. The "ships" appeared as "wheels within wheels", thus the whole Ezekiel vision....When the one opened his mouth, a blinding light came out, then, as they were ascending, it's hard to see at first but they have wings.

I thought the funny part was the symbolism behind the bunnies. Always symbolic of "being fruitful and......" well, you know.....
Back to top Go down

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 9:50 am

What was most interesting to me was Nic Cage's character transformation from a existentialist into someone who believes that life has meaning and purpose. The ending was kind of honkey with the "space brothers" scenario, but Cage's willingness to send his son ahead and accept his death with his believing family was very poignant. He indicates that he now knows that they will all be together in heaven. While a theological basis for that is never established, it's pretty good for a Hollywood film.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 11:14 am

Quote :
What was most interesting to me was Nic Cage's character transformation from a existentialist into someone who believes that life has meaning and purpose

that's true. and it was nic's ONLY son.
it'd be interesting to find out what the author's personal beliefs are. aside from some intense scenes, I don't remember any cussing, and there was NO typical belittling of Christians or Preachers in it (as hollywood loves to do)
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:40 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
.....and there was NO typical belittling of Christians or Preachers in it (as hollywood loves to do)

That was appreciated by me.

Admin
alldatndensum

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 7:56 am

I wonder if the director wasn't an Emergent Christian. This film answers NO questions about Christ, but it kind of screams the questions. It could really open up some dialogue--that's for sure.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 12:53 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I wonder if the director wasn't an Emergent Christian. This film answers NO questions about Christ, but it kind of screams the questions. It could really open up some dialogue--that's for sure.

That does sound very plausible. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
It certainly got us talking about it.
Twisted Evil

Knowing-The Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing-The Movie   Knowing-The Movie I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Knowing-The Movie
Page 1 of 1