Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you watching?

Go down 
+7
Xid
Fundy
topshot rhit
MikeInFla
rockerVu2
Staybrite
alldatndensum
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

What are you watching? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/15/2024, 6:57 pm

Dune 2

Maybe I am missing something, but I have seen both of the recent films and I feel like a big part of the story was left out.  I felt nothing for the hero.  The villain was gross, but not someone that struck fear into me.  I kept waiting for these to be amazing but felt they were just kind of "blah".  I had to fight sleep at the theater today and was helped by those loud low blasts signaling an action scene coming.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/15/2024, 7:07 pm

kerrick wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Damsel (2024) a Netflix film.  Both the wife and I enjoyed this.  If you like dragons and swords and castle type fantasy films you will probably like this one.  Millie Bobby Brown did a great job as the reluctant heroine.  This is the way you make a movie with a strong female protagonist.  Instead of turning Spiderman or Jack Sparrow into a female and rebooting the franchise with a woke agenda.  As a matter of fact I didn't see a lot of modern political agenda nonsense in the film at all.  Certainly worth watching IMO.

Here's a different take on that flick.  [MAJOR spoilers!]
https://notthebee.com/takes/netflixs-damsel-is-the-feminist-epitome-of-the-alliance-between-eve-and-the-serpent-lets-unpack-it

I haven't seen the movie but the author makes some convincing points here.

I haven't seen this yet, either, but it seems to me like the writer of that review was reading way more into this than they should have.  Sure, every story is based on another anymore.  But, to go that far and conclude that the movie was intentionally trying to sway women to follow their own desires and make their allegiance to Satan is a bit far fetched.  Besides, Hollywood doesn't need to make films like that to recruit.  We already know that everyone is dead in their trespasses and sins if they do not follow Jesus.  The enemy already has them and they don't know it.  I doubt a fairy tale movie is going to be what pushes them into full blown Satanism, but I have been wrong before.

No, wait, I don't remember pledging myself to magic or Satan after the Harry Potter films, either.  I remember when religious folks were up in arms over that and they just were not the recruitment films or novels that Focus On The Family and others were making them out to be.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/15/2024, 8:05 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
kerrick wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Damsel (2024) a Netflix film.  Both the wife and I enjoyed this.  If you like dragons and swords and castle type fantasy films you will probably like this one.  Millie Bobby Brown did a great job as the reluctant heroine.  This is the way you make a movie with a strong female protagonist.  Instead of turning Spiderman or Jack Sparrow into a female and rebooting the franchise with a woke agenda.  As a matter of fact I didn't see a lot of modern political agenda nonsense in the film at all.  Certainly worth watching IMO.

https://notthebee.com/takes/netflixs-damsel-is-the-feminist-epitome-of-the-alliance-between-eve-and-the-serpent-lets-unpack-it

I haven't seen this yet, either, but it seems to me like the writer of that review was reading way more into this than they should have.  Sure, every story is based on another anymore.  But, to go that far and conclude that the movie was intentionally trying to sway women to follow their own desires and make their allegiance to Satan is a bit far fetched.  Besides, Hollywood doesn't need to make films like that to recruit.  We already know that everyone is dead in their trespasses and sins if they do not follow Jesus.  The enemy already has them and they don't know it.  I doubt a fairy tale movie is going to be what pushes them into full blown Satanism, but I have been wrong before.

No, wait, I don't remember pledging myself to magic or Satan after the Harry Potter films, either.  I remember when religious folks were up in arms over that and they just were not the recruitment films or novels that Focus On The Family and others were making them out to be.

I don't disagree that the author is probably assigning some deeper meanings that weren't originally intended... but likewise I think you may be reading too much into the article.  Wink  I didn't read the article as suggesting that the movie is "intentionally trying to sway women to follow their own desires and make their allegiance to Satan."  But rather that it's very clearly glorifying unbiblical ideals and using biblical imagery to do so.  And while a movie isolated on its own isn't likely to sway anyone much, the repeated barrage of a given ideal through movies, social media, etc. certainly can - as I think any of us can attest to.  This appears to be just another [rather large, apparently] drop in the ever-growing bucket of the liberal agenda in Hollywood.  And while Hollywood doesn't need to recruit... that certainly doesn't stop them from trying!
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3875

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/17/2024, 1:45 pm

Hardkore wrote:
Fundy wrote:
Post credit scene?
I had assumed there was one. I left when the credits started. After I got home I looked it up on wiki and it mentioned something that I didn’t see at the end.

Above Arrakis, the Great Houses refuse to accept Paul's ascendancy, so Paul orders the Fremen to attack the orbiting fleet in response. As Stilgar leads the Fremen onto captured Sardaukar ships, Jessica and Alia reflect that this is the beginning of Muad'Dib's holy war. A heartbroken Chani refuses to bow to Paul and departs on a sandworm.

That was definitely in the actual movie before the credits.

Dune Pt 2
Bandits (a fun rom com in a way based on the true life bank robbers)

Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2563
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/18/2024, 12:51 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Hardkore wrote:
Fundy wrote:
Post credit scene?
I had assumed there was one. I left when the credits started. After I got home I looked it up on wiki and it mentioned something that I didn’t see at the end.

Above Arrakis, the Great Houses refuse to accept Paul's ascendancy, so Paul orders the Fremen to attack the orbiting fleet in response. As Stilgar leads the Fremen onto captured Sardaukar ships, Jessica and Alia reflect that this is the beginning of Muad'Dib's holy war. A heartbroken Chani refuses to bow to Paul and departs on a sandworm.

Dune Pt 2
Bandits (a fun rom com in a way based on the true life bank robbers)
Maybe I needed the open caption option with on screen subtitles. Somehow I missed it.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/18/2024, 9:35 pm

Hardkore wrote:
topshot rhit wrote:

Maybe I needed the open caption option with on screen subtitles. Somehow I missed it.

It was right after the fight that he nearly lost and the emperor bowed in submission to kiss his ring.

Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/19/2024, 2:30 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Hardkore wrote:
topshot rhit wrote:

It was right after the fight that he nearly lost and the emperor bowed in submission to kiss his ring.
OK, that I remember and Chani looking mad and leaving by herself. I don’t recall her riding a worm. I’ll wait til it is out on video to see then ending again and be able to use subtitles.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/19/2024, 2:31 pm

Forever Young 
Mel Gibson, Elijah Wood, Jamie Lee Curtis

Staybrite and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/19/2024, 4:39 pm

kerrick wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
kerrick wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

I don't disagree that the author is probably assigning some deeper meanings that weren't originally intended... but likewise I think you may be reading too much into the article.  Wink  I didn't read the article as suggesting that the movie is "intentionally trying to sway women to follow their own desires and make their allegiance to Satan."  But rather that it's very clearly glorifying unbiblical ideals and using biblical imagery to do so.  And while a movie isolated on its own isn't likely to sway anyone much, the repeated barrage of a given ideal through movies, social media, etc. certainly can - as I think any of us can attest to.  This appears to be just another [rather large, apparently] drop in the ever-growing bucket of the liberal agenda in Hollywood.  And while Hollywood doesn't need to recruit... that certainly doesn't stop them from trying!

I read the article, and I watched the movie.  I think the author of the article did some serious verbal and mental gymnastics to shoe-horn the movie into a their pre-supposed idea of the tale (possibly even while ignoring the writer/director's authorial intent).
One item the article writer accentuated seems utterly false to me.  The author portrayed the kingdom with the dragon as "The Patriarchy" which seemed completely false to me.  Sure the death of the dragon babies was by the hand of a king, but by the time the movies current events happen that king is long dead and the current kingdom is obviously ruled by a queen (who's current husband stands in the background and keeps his mouth shut).  The movie clearly pits a female damsel, an "evil" queen, and female dragon against each other in a battle for survival... no patriarchy left anymore.
Again, it's just a fantasy movie.  I couldn't possibly see the dragon as a "Satan" figure even if I tried.  I'm sorry, there is too much real evil to avoid, to try to see the devil behind every bush.  There is no nudity in the movie and I'm pretty certain no profanity as well.  I wouldn't show the film to a toddler (because it is rather violent and at times rather scary), but this is probably one of the tamest modern films I've seen in the last 5-10 years (unless I'm just clueless).

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/19/2024, 6:56 pm

^Right on Gary.  I wasn't aware that the main bad guys were women too; that definitely pokes a major hole in the "patriarchy" angle from the author!  It's a nice change of pace to have a movie that's relatively clean with regards to content, even if I still disagree with the modern feminist message.

I'll admit, having little kids with especially malleable hearts and minds has me extra sensitive to stuff like that.  I think back to when I was a kid and in every children's movie, the kids were always smarter/wiser than their oblivious parents.  Even if that was done by the filmmakers innocently because it makes for a better plot device, the repeated message eventually got to me and I can think of a few instances where it affected my behavior negatively.  I wonder how much all the '90s sitcoms helped normalize the hookup culture?  And nowadays, the nuclear family is generally looked down upon in mainstream culture/media; I can't imagine it hasn't had its affect.

But all that to say, praise God for the solid foundation of His Rock we have to stand on and His mercy and grace as we all navigate these strange times!

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/20/2024, 4:55 pm

kerrick wrote:
^Right on Gary.  I wasn't aware that the main bad guys were women too; that definitely pokes a major hole in the "patriarchy" angle from the author!  It's a nice change of pace to have a movie that's relatively clean with regards to content, even if I still disagree with the modern feminist message.

I'll admit, having little kids with especially malleable hearts and minds has me extra sensitive to stuff like that.  I think back to when I was a kid and in every children's movie, the kids were always smarter/wiser than their oblivious parents.  Even if that was done by the filmmakers innocently because it makes for a better plot device, the repeated message eventually got to me and I can think of a few instances where it affected my behavior negatively.  I wonder how much all the '90s sitcoms helped normalize the hookup culture?  And nowadays, the nuclear family is generally looked down upon in mainstream culture/media; I can't imagine it hasn't had its affect.

But all that to say, praise God for the solid foundation of His Rock we have to stand on and His mercy and grace as we all navigate these strange times!

I'm with you there about guarding the hearts and minds of your little ones.  As a matter of fact when our youngest was about 6 (oldest 11 or 12) we got rid of cable television altogether (streaming wasn't really a thing yet).  All our kids could watch was anything we had on VHS or DVD.  I would get DVD's for them from the library and try to review them first or even watch them with them to make sure they weren't excessive or just downright evil.  My only regret is that we didn't do it when they were younger.

kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/20/2024, 7:09 pm

^Good man!  We don't even own a TV anymore, and our kids have had very limited exposure with TV in general.  But boy would parenting be so much easier if we had a TV to plop the kids in front of from time to time hahahaha.

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/21/2024, 11:51 am

kerrick wrote:
^Good man!  We don't even own a TV anymore, and our kids have had very limited exposure with TV in general.  But boy would parenting be so much easier if we had a TV to plop the kids in front of from time to time hahahaha.

We also had an older video game console with some games that I could play with the kids like Mario Cart and Yoshi's Story.  If they were good that day they could get 45 minutes of video play.  Still didn't keep my middle child away from drugs (and other troubles), but the other two still have faith in our Lord and want to be good parents.  My daughter even home-schools her 4 children.  So apparently we did some things right as parents. 
You just have to do your best and pray that God will keep them from too much harm.
lol!

Fundy, kerrick and Xid like this post

Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/27/2024, 10:23 am

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2

Finally got to see it as it finally showed up at the library.

One episode I think has become my favorite Star Trek episode- Subspace Rhapsody .
They actually went ahead and made a musical episode.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmqm8h_E1_2AxzhGSJ-vl4yXjNId6LU79&si=xxXhynEfzs-S3FVz

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3/27/2024, 9:58 pm

Shocked

Field of Dreams

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5331
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/7/2024, 4:42 am

Kung Fu Panda 4
(not very good!)

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.

Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/7/2024, 7:20 am

The Holiday.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/7/2024, 10:40 am

Someone Like You

This is the new movie from Karen Kingsbury.  For a Christian movie, the story isn't preachy.  It is a good drama.  If you have adoption in your family, it will hit you kind of hard, too.  Well, it did me.

If you are looking for a Christian movie with the big alter call moment at the end, this isn't it.  If you want a good story that shows Christians in a positive light with a few scriptures sprinkled within, then this will be right up your alley.

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/9/2024, 11:37 pm

Total Eclipse of the Haute Very Happy

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/10/2024, 1:34 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Total Eclipse of the Haute Very Happy

lol! Took me a few seconds to get that one.  Laughing

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/10/2024, 8:40 pm

Ordinary Angels

Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/11/2024, 5:56 pm

The Hunt for Red October
Patriot Games ( has one of the best cliffhangers ever)
Clear and Present Danger

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum

Force 10 from Navarone
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/12/2024, 12:11 am

The Bourne movies are top notch, love em

Hardkore, Xid and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/12/2024, 5:29 pm

Hardkore wrote:
The Hunt for Red October
Clear and Present Danger

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum

Force 10 from Navarone

Someone is on a Jack Ryan and Kevin Bourne kick!
Are you going to watch The Guns of Navarone next?

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime4/12/2024, 6:55 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Hardkore wrote:
The Hunt for Red October
Clear and Present Danger

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum

Force 10 from Navarone

Someone is on a Jack Ryan and Kevin Bourne kick!
Are you going to watch The Guns of Navarone next?
I did that last night.

BTW, the name is Jason Bourne.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you watching?
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next