Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Redundant Albums

Go down 
+5
Staybrite
Through The Dark Radio
Samson
Xid
ishmael81
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 9:02 am

What are your thoughts on redundant albums.

What I mean is this: Five Iron Frenzy released their last album before they broke up in 2004 called The End is Near. It was indie and only sold at concerts. After their last show, they re-released the album as The End is Here, with the final show as a bonus second disc. I have The End is HERE (with the live show) and The End is Near is now a collectible. But I already have the music...

So do I shell out the ca$h for this collectible of one of my top five favorite bands, or do I save my cash and not worry about it?

I know there are tons of other bands with similiar situations. What do you guys think?

Last edited by ishmael81 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 9:27 am

It all comes down to personal preference, a collector's desire and/or being OCD.  If you really want to hear the final show, then get it.  If you want to complete your collection, then get it.  If you can't sleep because it's not in your collection, then get it.

If none of that matters to you, then don't get it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 9:35 am

Demon Hunter was/is really bad about doing that.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 11:07 am

Samson wrote:

You mean the special gold cover edition or the regular cover with additional bonus songs not on the original regular cover or the non-regular cover with songs from another completely different album? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 12:46 pm

I pretty much refuse to do it myself unless I am upgrading formats (like cassette to CD or cassette to high quality MP3)

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23480
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 6:16 am

I won't buy a reissue where they just add the bonus tracks.  Disciple did that on a few albums.  I just bought the bonus tracks when they came out.

I have bought a few remastered albums.  Most of the time if they were mixed and mastered well, they don't sound much different to me.  I still prefer the original release of Ransom's first album.  A couple of the Saint albums were improved but not by much.  Luckily, Rich sent me the files rather than me rebuying the CDs.  He's a good guy!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 7:53 am

Despite what I may or may not have said in the CD ripping thread, I really have a hard time justifying rebuying albums I already own.  I'm kinda with alldat on that one.  As for this FIF disc, if the price was reasonable, I would probably do it just because I would want that live album.  Plus I see you can get it used pretty cheap and new at a reasonable price.  But since it turns out this is the version of the album I have, just ignore me.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 8:00 am

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Samson wrote:

You mean the special gold cover edition or the regular cover with additional bonus songs not on the original regular cover or the non-regular cover with songs from another completely different album? Very Happy
With them it isn't about reissues, it is about 17 different versions on the first release.  I always save myself the trouble and get the super deluxe version with the CD/vinyl/cassette/8-track and free MP3 downloads along with the ketchup-stained handwritten lyric sheets, bag of Ryan Clark's beard trimmings, demon skull pinkie ring, and one of Yogi's sweaty bandannas.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 8:09 am

Some reissued and remastered albums I've bought still sound the same and I've decided not to buy those remastered  albums anymore.
In my ears they still sound the same.

I've had this with Final Axe.

For me the album I have sounds good and I don't need a new one.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 am

For me it really depends on the band.  If it's a band that I really like and want to support, I'll usually buy the special editions (like FIF).  Others that I don't care as much about, I'll pass until I find it on eBay for $5 or so Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 9:17 am

You guys want to hear something hilarious? There was a small typo in my original post... I just fixed it.

See, I was real confused by some of the responses - I have The End is HERE - with the concert...

Isn't that funny?
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 10:54 am

Oh....then I go with option B--save the money.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 2:54 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Samson wrote:

With them it isn't about reissues, it is about 17 different versions on the first release.  I always save myself the trouble and get the super deluxe version with the CD/vinyl/cassette/8-track and free MP3 downloads along with the ketchup-stained handwritten lyric sheets, bag of Ryan Clark's beard trimmings, demon skull pinkie ring, and one of Yogi's sweaty bandannas.

Gotta have those beard trimmings!!!

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23480
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 7:13 am

rockerVu2 wrote:
Some reissued and remastered albums I've bought still sound the same and I've decided not to buy those remastered  albums anymore.

I did buy those Final Axe reissues.  They did sound different with the original drums removed and Robert Sweet's drumming added.  Those songs took a whole new life with his drumming.  Actually, I like Robert's work with Bill Menchen much better than with Stryper.  Bill seems to allow Robert to truly explore the drums more so than he does with Stryper.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 10:18 am

alldatndensum wrote:
rockerVu2 wrote:

I did buy those Final Axe reissues.  They did sound different with the original drums removed and Robert Sweet's drumming added.  Those songs took a whole new life with his drumming.  Actually, I like Robert's work with Bill Menchen much better than with Stryper.  Bill seems to allow Robert to truly explore the drums more so than he does with Stryper.

Yeah, with Stryper, Robert is a bit more confined to what he can do in the songs since Michael pretty much comes up with everything.  You can hear more of Robert's abilities in any other time like with dBeality, Final Axe, Titanic . . . and definitely the album Love Trash where he's a much better drummer than composer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Only time I buy albums that are gimmicky with songs I already have on another album or whatever, is if I can snag it for a buck or 2.  But I refuse to pay good money for an album that's just a re-issue of what I already have, or a special edition, or has a different album cover or whatever.  I don't have money for gimmicks like that.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Listening to Final Axe.
The release from 2005 and the rerelease from 2010.
Chris, you were right and I was wrong.
The release from 2010 is better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Redundant Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redundant Albums   Redundant Albums I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Redundant Albums
Page 1 of 1