Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

civil discussion about GX and lyrics

Go down 
+5
Staybrite
ishmael81
Xid
BearDad
Guilty/Forgiven
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

civil discussion about GX and lyrics  Empty
PostSubject: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 4:26 pm

I appreciate S/A's help understanding and defining the subject-matter in the AC/DC song being covered by GX:

Guilty/Forgive wrote:
"but the song's lyrics in question doesn't make sense. I'm sure I'm missing some kind of innuendo"
Savage Amusement wrote:
"according to AC/DC balls is large breast...interesting, in that context these lyrics could have come from Song of Solomon which has verses describing his woman's breast and body..."

I wanted to start a separate thread to discuss this a little further. 
1st - I do NOT want any of us to come across all "holy" and looking down our noses or anything.  What I merely want to do here is try to understand why a Christian artist would even care to cover a song that can be considered "racey" - I even listened to the orginal done by ACDC from different concerts and additional lyrics have been added to the song depending on which concert you listen to... these additions are even MORE risqué. I'm not a prude, nor do I have a problem with Christian artists singing about sex (many have tackled the subject over the years and some even got pulled from Christian bookstores cuz they couldn't handle the honesty of the topic. But this song seems a bit on the edge lyrically for a Christian artist. I realize he's working as a mainstream artist, but he's still representing too... am I over-reacting to these lyrics, or have we as modern Christians become too lax in holiness and representing ? 
Comments, thoughts, input ?  Remember, let's keep this intelligent and from the position of Bible believers.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 4:42 pm

G/F - I'm just gong to say that once again you and I are of like mind with this one.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 4:53 pm

My biggest problem with Christian artists doing questionable covers is the influence it has on their listeners.  If so and so thinks it's all right, then it's all right.

Regarding the song in question:  I'd be embarrassed to even play that song let alone include it on one of my albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 5:24 pm

AC/DC, as we all know, is from Australia. My uncle spent some time over there. Saying someone has balls there is a compliment - like "she's tough" or "She's cool".

That being said, as much as I like clever word play, innuendo, and puns, I don't care for this song but the band must have some reason to cover it. I'd be interested to see what the band has to say about the song choice. AC/DC has a huge catalog to choose a song from - why that one?
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 5:51 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
saying someone has balls there is a compliment

That's really no different that here in the US. And regardless of the understood meaning, the innuendo is not appropriate, IMO, for a Christian to say.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 1:02 am

Quote :
Remember, let's keep this intelligent and from the position of Bible believers.

right here is the first hurdle...all of us here would consider ourselves Bible believers even though we hold some different theological views that are radically different...and each of our views and theology's most definitely influence our views on the topic of this thread..
Quote :
Christian artist
there are 2 kinds..1. there are those that see themselves as Christian artist performing Christian music and also see it as a ministry...
2.then there are those who are musicians performing music and the artist happens to be a christian even though they are not a christian ministry or christian artist per say...GX falls in the second category...

Quote :
he's still representing too
Not necessarily...I believe in God and have a relationship with him but I dont really see that I am representing anything when I walk out the door...the theological view I hold to doesn't either... It may be that GX holds the same views as I do or one similar...
I own all of AC/DC's music as well as hundreds (literally) of other artist and cd's that are not Christian in any way...(I own over 1000 secular metal cd's).. I really dont have a prooblem with the GX album and dont feel that buying or listening to it compromises my relationship with God in any way... Those that do feel compromised should simply just not purchase this album..and I assume dont own any other cd's by Christian artist with secular music.... we have been down this path with stryper and a few other bands...let me share some lyrics by a few tracks that other christian bands have covered on albums...and you guys tell me what ya think...

Immigrant Song (zeppelin as covered by stryper)
Ah, ah,
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.
Ah, ah,
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of gore,
Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your overlords.
On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.

Heaven and Hell (Black sabbath covered by Stryper)
Sing me a song, you're a singer
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil
The Devil is never a maker
The less that you give, you're a taker
So it's on and on and on
...it's Heaven and Hell, oh well
The lover of life's not a sinner
The ending is just a beginner
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming
So it's on and on and on
Oh it's on and on and on
It goes on and on and on, Heaven and Hell
I can tell, fool, fool!
Well, if it seems to be real, it's illusion
For every moment of truth, there's confusion in life
Love can be seen as the answer
But nobody bleeds for the dancer
And it's on and on, on and on and on....
They say that life's a carousel
Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
The world is full of Kings and Queens
Who blind your eyes then steal your dreams
...it's Heaven and Hell, oh well
And they'll tell you black is really white
The moon is just the sun at night
And when you walk in golden halls
You get to keep the gold that falls
It's Heaven and Hell
No no fool, fool!
You got to bleed for the dancer!
Fool, fool, look for the answer!
Fool, fool, fool!

Rock N Roll Damnation (AC/DC song covered in concert by both Xsinner and GX
They say that you play too loud
Well baby that's tough
They say that you got too much
Can't get enough
They tell you that you look a fool
And baby I'm a fool for you
They say that your mind's diseased
Shake your stuff
CHORUS:
And it's a rock 'n' roll damnation
Ma's own whippin' boy
Rock 'n' roll damnation
Take a chance while you still got the choice
You say that you want respect
Honey for what?
For everything that you've done for me
Thanks a lot
Get up off your bended knees
You could set your mind at ease
My temperature's running hot
I've been waiting all night for a bite of what you got
CHORUS
Damnation, they're puttin' you down
Damnation, all over town
Damnation, cause you're way outta reach
Livin' on the streets you gotta practice what you preach
CHORUS
Damnation, left a happy home
Damnation, to live on your own
Damnation, you want to live in sin
Damnation, it's a rock 'n' roll -
Damnation, just a bundle of joy
Damnation, you're a toy for a boy
Damnation, you got dollars in your eye
Damnation, chasin' that pie in the sky
Damnation, rock 'n' roll -
Damnation

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 1:11 am

next thought...is sweet/lynch a christian band (lynch is an atheist)...how about Alice Cooper (still plays the old songs about sex, drinking and drugs in concert)...how about W.A.S.P. (they still perform the old tracks in concert about drugs,torture, BDSM,sex)..how about Megadeth...how about Korn (who has 2 members who are Christians ..head has returned to them,,yet they still play the old tracks)..all these artist have christian members yet they still play the secular material they always played and Christians gravitate to their albums and even call them Christian artist Rolling Eyes 
there are some bands reviewed on angelic warlord that are Christian friendly yet are not Christian bands or ministry's in any way...
For the record Impellitteri is not a christian band even though they have a christian singer...I have talked to Rob Rock before and he told me flat out that he is not a Christian artist nor does he have a ministry...yet Christians flock to him like crazy...
I dont understand how people can buy that (and many here are excited about these albums) yet be upset because of one song on a GX album...please explain that to me because to be honest and fair and with all do respect it sounds like religion to me...something I despise as I also believe God does...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:
next thought...is sweet/lynch a christian band (lynch is an atheist)...how about Alice Cooper (still plays the old songs about sex, drinking and drugs in concert)...how about W.A.S.P. (they still perform the old tracks in concert about drugs,torture, BDSM,sex)..how about Megadeth...how about Korn (who has 2 members who are Christians ..head has returned to them,,yet they still play the old tracks)..all these artist have christian members yet they still play the secular material they always played and Christians gravitate to their albums and even call them Christian artist Rolling Eyes 
there are some bands reviewed on angelic warlord that are Christian friendly yet are not Christian bands or ministry's in any way...
For the record Impellitteri is not a christian band even though they have a christian singer...I have talked to Rob Rock before and he told me flat out that he is not a Christian artist nor does he have a ministry...yet Christians flock to him like crazy...
I dont understand how people can buy that (and many here are excited about these albums) yet be upset because of one song on a GX album...please explain that to me because to be honest and fair and with all do respect it sounds like religion to me...something I despise as I also believe God does...

Blackie Lawless (of WASP) has said in interviews and concerts that he refuses to play some of the old songs just because they compromise his faith...so your assertion is not completely accurate.  Also a little worried about your tone here, please be mindful of the rules (or terms of service).
While it may be a mystery to as to why anyone would have trouble listening to Christian artists who don't consider themselves in ministry but would be concerned with the same groups covering certain secular songs/artists....it may be perfectly clear to others and we want to be wary that our comments don't appear to question other member's faith in God.

I also know of at least one member here who refuses to listen to Stryper's covers album.  And while I own and enjoy the album myself I can certainly understand his position.

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 12:25 pm

Quote :
Blackie Lawless (of WASP) has said in interviews and concerts that he refuses to play some of the old songs just because they compromise his faith...so your assertion is not completely accurate.
here is the setlist from their tour last year...

1. On Your Knees / The Torture Never Stops

2. The Real Me
    (The Who cover)
  3. L.O.V.E. Machine

4. Wild Child

5. Sleeping (in the Fire) / Forever Free

6. I Wanna Be Somebody

7. The Titanic Overture

8. The Crimson Idol Medley
    (The Invisible Boy / I Am One /… more )
  9. The Idol

10. Blind in Texas
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Quote :
Also a little worried about your tone here

sorry..not trying to break any rules or question anyone's faith...to each his own...although I will point out that when someone else says "regardless of the understood meaning, the innuendo is not appropriate, IMO, for a Christian to say" I take that personally as an attack on my religious views and faith....
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:
Quote :
Blackie Lawless (of WASP) has said in interviews and concerts that he refuses to play some of the old songs just because they compromise his faith...so your assertion is not completely accurate.
here is the setlist from their tour last year...

1. On Your Knees / The Torture Never Stops

2. The Real Me
    (The Who cover)
  3. L.O.V.E. Machine

4. Wild Child

5. Sleeping (in the Fire) / Forever Free

6. I Wanna Be Somebody

7. The Titanic Overture

8. The Crimson Idol Medley
    (The Invisible Boy / I Am One /… more )
  9. The Idol

10. Blind in Texas

Just as I thought...no F##k Like a Beast in that set.  Some of the other songs, maybe they do cross the line IDK.  But Blackie has been outspoken about his faith and even prayed from stage....so somehow he must have reconciled himself for certain songs.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:
Quote :

sorry..not trying to break any rules or question anyone's faith...to each his own...although I will point out that when someone else says "regardless of the understood meaning, the innuendo is not appropriate, IMO, for a Christian to say" I take that personally as an attack on my religious views and faith....

I was hoping you weren't questioning anyone's faith, you seem to be a very sensitive to others and are all around a cool guy but the tone in your post seemed really negative.  I'm still not sure I can see where you are coming from, how is someone else's opinion (right or wrong) a personal attach on your faith?

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:
Quote :

Oh for crying out loud! Note the IMO ... here, I'll make it a bit more obvious: IMO! All I said was ... in my opinion (I'm allowed to have one, right!?) a song like "She's Got Balls" is inappropriate for anyone to sing, especially a Christian.

No-one is attacking your religious views (even though you don't believe in religion -- your words, not mine) nor your faith! Please try to not be so sensitive to the fact that some of us have views and opinions that are different from yours.

I apologize if this comes off with an angry tone, but at the moment I am quite exasperated. This whole thread had turned into one worth of CMR! Rolling Eyes It's gotten so no-one can express their opinions or thoughts over there without someone getting their underwear all bunched up about it, something I really don't wan to happen over here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 3:14 pm

ROTFL  actually BearDad, I am not a sensitive guy at all in real life and have to be sensitive a little to be on this board...in real life most people's opinions mean nothing to me and I am quick to blow people off and tell them what I really think regardless of their feelings...yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion....actually I guess I dont understand what "tone" staybrite is talking about because I was really trying to make a point while expressing my view in a nice way...I would be the first to say everyone should believe as and what they want and follow what they think is right..thats why I dont think morality should be legislated and that religion should play no part in the government, school or lawmaking process...when it does it steps on someones beliefs..

Quote :
This whole thread had turned into one worth of CMR!

very true..the whole topic is a cmr thread and to be honest a thread I only see on a "Christian" board...Actually I am not really sure what the purpose of threads like this even is...we all have different opinions and no one is swayed soooo, whats the point? (yeah, I know I am analytical and it agitates some people Cool )

now back to the thread...
Personally I have no problem with songs that are raunchy and about sex...I have no problem with sex on tv or in the movies or magazines or the chicken ranch out in Las Vegas....so this song is nothing compared to alot of what is out there...Staybrite brought up the W>A>S>P> track F##k Like a Beast...this is a song I listen to regularly and even spent big money to get the limited edition Single...I am not offended by it at all... Of course this is my opinion Laughing To be honest I am under the impression that GX isn't in anyway a christian band anymore...but I wonder if just like stryper was judged for their coverings album if we are judging GX and Rex Scott here...Threads like this always come off that way to me...
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 4:23 pm

I don't think anyone has "judged" them at all.  We have not called into question their relationship with Christ.  We have not stated that we feel what punishment should come for veering away from the faith.  Some just said that they didn't understand the lyrical change in direction when GXP started off with a Christ-focused message. 

I am getting a bit more comfortable with more secular music, but not everything.  While I would accept something a bit more questionable from say Twisted Sister or AC/DC, I am not completely comfortable with the same things coming from a Christian.  Our lives are to be salt and light.  We are ALL in ministry whether we like it or not.  There is an old cliche that we might be the only Bible some people read.  Well, I don't quite believe that, but we do affect the way people see the church and even Jesus Himself.  I can't count the number of people who I've met that either turned away from the faith or are vehemently set against being a follower of Christ over what they have seen and heard from believers.  We all minister for Christ or against Him every day.

With that in mind, I feel that we all need to keep it in our hearts constantly to think on things that are good, lovely, trustworthy, etc. (without lobbing the scripture bomb here) and remember that while all things are now lawful for us that not all things are profitable.  For me, I just think that we followers of Christ need to be aware that what we do and say DOES affect those around us whether it is in our daily lives, on a message board, in the art we create, etc.  I don't think for a moment that all Christian musicians need to be making openly evangelical or praise albums.  However, we need to make sure that no matter what we do that it does, even in some small way, point people back to Jesus.  To not do that, to me, is just being reckless with the precious gift of salvation that we've been given.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3118
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 6:51 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see no indication that GX is covering an AC/DC song. According to the track listing the only thing I could see as a possible cover would be "Hungry Heart" (Da Boss!). AC/DC has a song from the "Dirty Deeds" album called "Big Balls". GX has a track listing of "She's Got Balls". I believe this is a different song entirely.

Who knows, maybe it is a song about volleyball or tennis. maybe it is song about putt-putt and the girl who works behind the counter has all the colored balls.

civil discussion about GX and lyrics  1_Mini%20Golf%20Balls
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 10:33 am

When I was 7, I thought that Hall & Oates' "Maneater" was about a female cannibal who dined on men.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 11:35 am

Quote :
GX has a track listing of "She's Got Balls". I believe this is a different song entirely.
She's Got Balls is on the album High Voltage by AC/DC....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 11:41 am

Quote :
While I would accept something a bit more questionable from say Twisted Sister or AC/DC, I am not completely comfortable with the same things coming from a Christian.
hmmm, Dee Snider claims to be a Christian...

Quote :
We all minister for Christ or against Him every day.
I disagree
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 3:28 pm

I like peanuts
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 4:01 pm

I like peanuts, too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 5:30 pm

I like peanuts and almonds!

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 7:18 pm

I like moose. And caribou.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 8:03 pm

I like pecans and eat them while listening to my AC/DC cd's Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 8:06 pm

I heard an AC/DC song on the radio once ("Have A Drink On Me") and it sounded exactly like GX.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: civil discussion about GX and lyrics    civil discussion about GX and lyrics  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

civil discussion about GX and lyrics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next