Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites

Go down 
+5
mr.electric40
alldatndensum
Follower of Jesus
Staybrite
BearDad
9 posters

Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rights
Lovespeak
Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_lcap20%Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
Mission Bells
Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_lcap10%Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Comatose
Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_lcap0%Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Death Machine
Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_lcap0%Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Players
Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_lcap10%Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Lincoln's Train
Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_lcap40%Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Hot Footin'
 0% [ 0 ]
In My Room
 10% [ 1 ]
Little Jeanie
 0% [ 0 ]
Footprints
 0% [ 0 ]
Pauper's Grave
 0% [ 0 ]
Somebody to Love
 10% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Well I am truly embarrassed, as I know very little about this album. I have it, and have had it since it was released in '91. However, when it came out I guess I was into other things. For one thing I was getting more into metal: Stryper, Mortification, Deliverance, Tourniquet, Holy Soldier, Vengeance Rising, Recon, etc. Also, 1991 is the year I got married, and one thing my wife is not is a rocker ... nope, she's pretty much a Michael W. Smith, Avalon, Cathedral Quartet person. So I suppose I was listening to less hard rock and metal, seeing as how I was no longer the only one in the house. Regardless of my excuses, I was still a Rez fan, but only enough to keep up with the album releases.

I think another reason I barely recall this album is because it was more of the same. The band had really established themselves as a sold blues/rock band, and this album pretty much stuck to the same formula as the last one: plenty of hard and fast rockers, some good blues-based tunes, a couple of straight blues tracks, and a cover song. All excellent tunes with stellar musicianship, but nothing really so special that it stands out as better than the previous CD.  Lyrically the band was in fine form, singing about the usual topics centered around current affairs and social consciousness. 

There is something significant about this album: you won't find Jesus' name used in any of the Lyrics, and while the word god is used a couple of times, God Himself is only referred to in two songs. Does this mean they sold out, "taming down" their lyrics to make more money? Nah! After all, they still lived in JPUSA. Who knows why their lyrics because less "gospelly", and who cares. Smile

Album tidbit: This is Rez' longest studio album to day, with 12 tracks. 

UPDATE:

I indicated that In My Room is my favorite as I love Glenn's blues songs, but that just shows how much I listen to the CD! I didn't even realize before tonight that my MP3s are mistagged! I have just discovered that four MP3 tracks on my computer are mistagged, with the song I like the best -- Footprints -- being tagged as In My Room! AARRGH! And I've already voted ... DOUBLE ARRGGHH!  <sigh>

UPDATE (7/2/14):

The QA department pointed out that I typed the album title incorrectly, correctly spelling "Rites" as "Rights", even though that is actually incorrect and the band's way is correct, even though the band's way is incorrect. Are you dizzy yet? Anyhow, I have corrected (or would that be incorrected?  Uncorrected?  Discorrected?  ) the post title, but I cannot correct the poll title because the system does let me. That blasted system!  bounce  BLOW UP THE SYSTEM! BLOW UP THE GOVERNMENT!  bounce  Wait ... did I say that out loud! oops!

Sorry ... these guys made me do it! ->   KISS

Last edited by BearDad on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 1:03 am

This is hands down my favorite Rez album (it was also my first Rez album so that might have something to do with it too).

When I ripped the cd to my computer when I first got it, several of the tracks were also mistagged.  I had to fix them as well.

IMHO there are a ton of fantastic tracks on this album Lovespeak, Misison Bells, Linconls Train, In My Room, Little Jeannie, and Wendy's fantastic rendition of Jefferson Airplanes "Somebody to Love" (probably my favorite song of hers)...But when forced to pick a single favorite I would have to go with Players it's just got this smokin driving blues soaked bass and guitar line that really rocks (but I have to admit that In My Room & Somebody to Love could have easily been my favorite...it's such a great album).

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 5:29 am

^^ kinda makes me wonder how many other CDs I have ripped that are mistagged. Obviously the ones I listen to all the time are good, or I would have noticed. But how about those oddball CD's that don't get a lot of spin time? I don't relish the thought of going through my entire collection to verify each and every song is tagged correctly. Sad
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 6:10 am

Finally, you get to the only Rez CD I have. I really like this album. There are a bunch of great songs on here. Shoot, none of them are bad at all, though I could do without the cover song. I never liked the original and the cover doesn't make it better.

Favorite song? Lovespeak, by a hair over Pauper's Grave, Comatose, Little Jeannie and In My Room. But really, the whole album is awesome.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 am

Mission Bells!  Great song with a lot of attitude and a great message!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 10:17 am

BearDad wrote:
^^ kinda makes me wonder how many other CDs I have ripped that are mistagged. Obviously the ones I listen to all the time are good, or I would have noticed. But how about those oddball CD's that don't get a lot of spin time? I don't relish the thought of going through my entire collection to verify each and every song is tagged correctly. Sad

I've noticed a few in my collection as well. I tried going through the whole collection a few cds at a time earlier last year to check for mistakes. I only made it about 2/3 of the way through before I lost steam. I haven't picked it back up in over 6 months.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 10:18 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:

Favorite song? Lovespeak, by a hair over Pauper's Grave, Comatose, Little Jeannie and In My Room. But really, the whole album is awesome.

Agreed  Thumbs Up 

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 10:56 am

Gotta go with Lincoln's Train..... yes Lovespeak is awesome but the message of Lincoln's Train and the slow build musically this track is stellar....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 9:20 am

All this Rez Band talk has me wishing I didn't have to sell my collection a year or so ago...  Sad
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 2:23 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
All this Rez Band talk has me wishing I didn't have to sell my collection a year or so ago...  Sad

Now you can rediscover them by slowly collecting back each title! (see there is always a bright side).

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

Now you can rediscover them by slowly collecting back each title!  (see there is always a bright side).

That's true. And I always try to... Stay Brite... see what I did there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 2:36 pm

The Jefferson Airplane cover  Thumbs Up 

And not to be a Grammar Nazi...oh, screw it...I *am* a Grammar Nazi! The title of the album is actually Civil "RITES" not "Rights"...as it's a play on words with the witchdoctor mask on the cover and everything  Wink 

Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites 18511
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 9:23 am

Wouldn't you be more of a grampa nazi than a grammer nazi.  Both er my grammers wur wimen.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 9:56 am

trogdawn wrote:
The Jefferson Airplane cover  Thumbs Up 

And not to be a Grammar Nazi...oh, screw it...I *am* a Grammar Nazi! The title of the album is actually Civil "RITES" not "Rights"...as it's a play on words with the witchdoctor mask on the cover and everything  Wink 

Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites 18511

You are correct. I should pay better attention to my typing.  Good thing we have the QA department to keep us rednecks in check.

As you can see I have corrected the incorrect spelling,  Or would that be incorrected the correct spelling? I'm confused.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 1:29 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Wouldn't you be more of a grampa nazi than a grammer nazi.  Both er my grammers wur wimen.
BearDad wrote:
As you can see I have corrected the incorrect spelling,  Or would that be incorrected the correct spelling? I'm confused.

This place is full of descendants of the Weisenheimer family!  Stupid 
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Lincoln's Train. More of the same? Maybe but not many are doing this especially when this came out.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Redeemed Fool wrote:
Lincoln's Train. More of the same? Maybe but not many are doing this especially when this came out.

By "more of the same" I didn't mean in comparison with other bands, but with themselves.  Style-wise there isn't much difference between Innocent Blood and Civil Rites, or for that matter, with Reach of Love either. It's not necessarily a bad thing; most bands have a specific style that they stick to.  However, one of Rez' strengths is that they always evolved as a band. Personally, I believe they found their niche with the three albums I named above, as it is when they were at their best. However, at the time I was younger and always looking for something different, so an album that to my mind was more of the same stuff from the previous album was of little interest to me. I look back now and say, "Doh! what a fool I was!" because Civil Rites was a great album.  I still don't think it was as good as Innocent Blood, but it none-the-less was worth the money spent on it.

Last edited by BearDad on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 11:29 am

I getcha, Reach was when I kind of felt they were stuck in a rut.
Back to top Go down
IM4given

IM4given

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 4:04 pm

We can only vote for one song?  That's totally not fair.  This album is a fave of mine.  I went with Lincoln's Train.  Other faves are Mission Bells, Players, Pauper's Grave.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 11:53 pm

Too hard to pick, but tonight Lincoln's Train edged Somebody to Love.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites   Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Rez Song - Civil Rites
Page 1 of 1