Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Brave speaks out about New vocalist!

Go down 
+6
Follower of Jesus
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
Xid
Staybrite
fishingd
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Brave speaks out about New vocalist! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brave speaks out about New vocalist!   The Brave speaks out about New vocalist! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 11:41 am

alldatndensum wrote:
If I didn't have so many different irons in the fire with trying to make cigar box guitars, recording again, and different other types of artwork, I'd sit down and try my hand with my mastering software and see what I could do with this.  I just don't have the time.

Not that I think you are any kind of slouch in the mastering department, but I would love to see Cliffy get his hands on this.

Number of posts : 3876
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Brave speaks out about New vocalist!   The Brave speaks out about New vocalist! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I'd sit down and try my hand with my mastering software and see what I could do with this.

Maybe I don't have as much understanding of mastering as I thought, but how would you do that with just the final 2 stereo tracks? It's just a basic overall re-EQ at that point.

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483

PostSubject: Re: The Brave speaks out about New vocalist!   The Brave speaks out about New vocalist! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 6:22 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
I'd sit down and try my hand with my mastering software and see what I could do with this.

Maybe I don't have as much understanding of mastering as I thought, but how would you do that with just the final 2 stereo tracks? It's just a basic overall re-EQ at that point.

Actually, that is where mastering happens.  Adjusting the pan of each track, main EQ, loudness in the mix is all done during the mixdown.  The then completed stereo track then goes to mastering where they can adjust frequencies within the space, add compression, EQ the track as a whole, add more reverb, increase or decrease the stereo spread, remove DC offset, remove tape hiss and other minor white noises, and boost volume of the overall track.  Basically, they take the finished track and polish it until it shines!

Quote :
Not that I think you are any kind of slouch in the mastering department, but I would love to see Cliffy get his hands on this.

Compared to Cliffy or Pastor Brad, I am definitely a novice.  I have only mastered 2 songs thus far.  One was the one for the Tim Ridley Show that sabidoo and I did.  The other was the Christmas track I did last month.  I would just like to do this to see what I could do with it.  I may when I get a bit more time.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876

PostSubject: Re: The Brave speaks out about New vocalist!   The Brave speaks out about New vocalist! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 9:09 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Actually, that is where mastering happens.  Adjusting the pan of each track, main EQ, loudness in the mix is all done during the mixdown.  The then completed stereo track then goes to mastering where they can adjust frequencies within the space, add compression, EQ the track as a whole, add more reverb, increase or decrease the stereo spread, remove DC offset, remove tape hiss and other minor white noises, and boost volume of the overall track.  Basically, they take the finished track and polish it until it shines!

Huh. That makes zero sense to me. If you want to adjust the guitar freq, how do you not mess up the same range in the vox or drums? Or compressing the vox, which is usually what needs it most, without compressing everything? Or adding reverb to just the vox? I guess I didn't have much understanding of WHEN it occurred at least. Noise removal and overall volume I can see being done at the end.

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483

PostSubject: Re: The Brave speaks out about New vocalist!   The Brave speaks out about New vocalist! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 7:19 am

I am not sure about the HOW; I just know that this is what is done.  Mastering adds so much more dynamics to the music.  Even in a huge studio, a pro recording will still sound somewhat demo-ish if not mastered.  Of course, you can only polish a turd until you realize that it is still going to be a turd with some projects.  LOL

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Brave speaks out about New vocalist!   The Brave speaks out about New vocalist! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Brave speaks out about New vocalist!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2