Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Online debates.....

Go down 
+11
BearDad
Driven
Staybrite
xenonlion
Guilty/Forgiven
kerrick
Xid
Samson
rockerVu2
topshot rhit
alldatndensum
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Online debates..... Empty
PostSubject: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:02 am

Does online rebukes or debate really help?  Do we do more damage than good when we try to confront someone with a different view of the Bible on forums, social medium, blogs, etc?  Sometimes I feel that all this does is cause more division than it does healing.  Are too many of us just "shotgun Christians" who blast people with their vast knowledge of scripture without really taking the time to understand the other person and do so under the guise of "Christian love"?  Is this one of the reasons why Christians are labeled as haters these days?

Those are just some of my thoughts today.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:12 am

"Listen, listen, love, love" - Kairos Prison Ministry

Bet it works well outside the fence (or online) as well.  Thumbs Up 

rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:37 am

I try to stay out of debates online.
Many others have an other meaning about biblecal things than you have.
I think God wants us to accept each other and not to fight with each other who's right or wrong.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:43 am

I think that God wants us to do more than just blast someone with a difference of opinion and move on.  Sure, some folks have really twisted theology.  Wouldn't it be better for me to befriend that person and actually be in a place to talk to that person rather than just hit them with a bunch of verses that supposedly prove my side and then act all holy afterward?  I sure showed that heretic!  LOL

I think that, in order to get people to listen, that we need to be willing to invest time in them and earn the right to speak.  I will listen to the rebuke of a godly family member or friend that is close to me long before I will a virtual stranger that I barely even know.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 am

Agreed. I think that folks can be encouraged and edified online to a degree, but when it really comes to debating, I don't think a message board or Facebook is the best avenue to take. So many things are difficult to draw conclusions about in cyberspace, a good example being the ability to detect sarcasm. I think debating in person does more for the iron sharpening rather than to type away all day on a keyboard...like I'm doing right now. (cue sarcasm hint) Smile
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 9:14 am

I usually stay out of the debates.  I've typed up big responses to things only to just delete it and move on.  Online debates usually turn into a dog pile.  We're better off face to face.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 11:04 am

Rarely does much good come from debates online about theological differences.  However, for example, there was a guy on the CMR who made a thread about how he doesn't listen to certain "Christian" bands because of how the members behaved on a different forum.  I found that forum and saw his responses - which were just as offensive.  I called him out on it (via PM).  I did my best to do so lovingly.  Initially he was kinda put off by it (understandably) but he actually took it to heart and we've been able to form a good friendship!  So not quite a "debate" so much as a conversation, though overall I think a lot of good came from it!
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 11:16 am

One on one conversation keeps the flamers out of the equation.  Very cool!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 4:03 pm

When Chat Rooms first started in the old AOL days of 1995ish, I used to frequent several religious discussion rooms and do the 1Pet.3:15 thing, debating people with differing ideas - As Walter Martin would say "it generated more heat than light".  Though I spent years in studying doctrine, cults and stuff for the purpose of knowing the answers... I now shy from most debates unless I feel qualified and/or needed. I have one of those non-people personalities just like my dad, so I ended up putting all my studies into readable form as information packets on cults, false leaders, wrong doctrine, etc - guess I'm a better writer than a speaker - course that's to be debated    ROTFL  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 4:33 pm

I think the words of Chris are the acts God loves to see.
His Holy spirit will guide us in things like this.
Yep, His Holy Spirit showed me that last year when I first talked about Jesus to friends we have for 29 years.
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 4:46 pm

I think it's okay to say what you believe even though you may disagree on something. Debating a little is okay, but it's good to know when to stop if you're gonna do that. You don't want to get heated or anything. Also, don't say stuff in an attacking or arrogant way. That just causes more problems. At times you'll have to agree to disagree. Don't let it ruin a friendship.

Also, what everyone else here said. ^^
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 6:29 pm

I have been involved a few online debates that went on for several days and just ended up with pretty much everybody angry....I don't get involved in them anymore. I think it's one thing to stand up for the truth but a waste to spend too much time on the interweb debating people who have no desire to see the truth.

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 6:54 pm

^Yup.  Gosh, there was this guy on the old Fates Warning board (this is going back probably eight years!) who really had it out for Christians.  I was so patient, logical, and kind - yet firm, though it became apparent that he didn't want a discussion/debate but rather to simply hate on me (i.e. the nearest Christian).  It was pretty sad, though it really affected me.  Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Online debates..... Duty_calls
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Samson wrote:
Online debates..... Duty_calls

lol!
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 4:24 pm

That xkcd comic is classic.

The problems with Internet debate are many, of course… Some people are just really bad at expressing themselves and don't re-read what they write before they hit post, which means that sometimes often they will come across wrong. That's why I try to understand a post and think of a reply before typing something.

Of course, some people come across as plain jerks, and it's hard to tell them that because they will reply with something even worse. I try to limit my sarcasm, and if I'm being silly I'll make it clear with an emoticon.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Sadly I get sucked into online debates more than I like to admit.

Online debates..... Ashamed
Back to top Go down
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 6:05 pm

I've debated theological matters such as Catholicism and Once Saved Always Saved online. A few times it got heated. None of these debates caused me or the other person to change our views.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Mac wrote:
None of these debates caused me or the other person to change our views.

Yep. Always a major factor, and that's what I think distinguishes discussion (sharing ideas) and debate (throwing ideas).
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 4:00 pm

If I want to get into an online debate, I'll just find wherever 5minutes is posting and saying something completely opposite to what he's saying . . . works every time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Readi_Sketti

Readi_Sketti

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2012-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Yeah, honestly, the debating is pointless. A conversation is one thing. I really find it better to talk to someone privately or in person. Also, if it is someone I don't know very well, they probably aren't going to listen to what I am saying because you have to build relationships & trust first. In my opinion that is......

Now, no one argue with me or disagree on this, or I will get mad and run away stomping  Wink
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 7:34 pm

FREE GRACE!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Stupid  Fight  lol!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 11:42 pm

Who is Grace ?

ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 11:50 pm

Grace? She passed away 30 years ago

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Online debates.....   Online debates..... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Online debates.....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next