Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question on bands

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Question on bands Empty
PostSubject: Question on bands   Question on bands I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Since I know that lyrics are important to some of you I am curious...does a bands theological view mean anything to you and do you think bands should have theological view lyrics or should they keep them more neutral friendly?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Question on bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on bands   Question on bands I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 4:20 pm

I enjoy artists that talk about theology in their lyrics.

For instance, LeCrae has a bunch of theology in his, and even though he's Reformed I still like him - most of his lyrics are more about serving God than specific Reformed thought.

Showbread also has a lot of theology in their lyrics, sometimes you just have to look for it. Josh Dies (primary songwriter) is an open theist, which is closer to what I believe so I enjoy that.

John Mark McMillan has several songs that use Biblical imagery or tell a story from the Bible - Death in his Grave is a song about Easter.

Most other band's I listen to just talk in generalities about Jesus/God and don't necessarily go in depth with theology.

I will say that Delirious? is the most theologically deep band I listen to. They sing about God's love a lot. And as Paul tells us in Ephesians, there's nothing deeper than that!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23473
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Question on bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on bands   Question on bands I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 8:41 am

Can you rephrase the question? It seems that you are asking if we want an artist to sing about theology or a particular view of theology? Personally, I don't really want to have to think about the lyrics all that much. I'd rather their expressions of faith to be more simplistic and stay out of the Doctor Of Divinity realm.

Do opposing views in lyrics bother me? Some. Do I go on a tirade against that band for being Word Of Faith or Reformed (Calvanist) or something else? No. You just have to learn to ignore that. Take the band Ledfoot for instance. They have a song called "Get Right Or Get Left". You'd think it was about sinners repenting, but it is a call to Christians to get their lives in order or lose their salvation. I don't agree with their belief, but it doesn't bother me. Why? Because they have the freedom of expression just as I do. I don't care for Dale Thompson's universalist beliefs. However, he still has the right to share that if he chooses. Of course, if someone really disagrees with a certain viewpoint, you can always choose to just not buy those albums.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Question on bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on bands   Question on bands I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 9:31 am

It's the freedom the lyricist to share what he/she is thinking about things like this.
It's a very personal impression or view on things.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5332
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Question on bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on bands   Question on bands I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 7:22 am

I'm open to different views as long as I know they're singing with a basis in Christ then that's fine with me. There's probably many bands who have views that are very different to what I believe but if their heart is to win the lost for Christ then that is good enough for me.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Question on bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on bands   Question on bands I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Bottom line is, the road to redemption is narrow and few find it... We will be shocked to find out that many (maybe even most) of those in "Christian" music, weren't chosen and therefore were never "known" by the Father.

And I'm certainly not saying that the ones who end up "making it" are the ones who lived a great life of honor and glory to the Father, as some who made horrible mistakes and decisions may very well be some of the chosen who enter into God's glory.

Heck, statistically speaking many who visit and partake in these threads may not be chosen when it all comes down - it's God's show, not ours.
Many of us listen to Christian music cuz it represents what we believe. We have this music to buy and enjoy whereas other religions and cults for the most part do not have their own music industry to enjoy.
But even then, many who listen to only Christian music (I include myself) may not even be chosen. I've known many who walked strong in the faith and listened to only CCM who, years later, dropped it all and are living in the world wanting nothing to do with Christianity... this happens with band members too.

It's a hard fact to wrap our heads around, but until then we who believe we're saved by His grace, listen to music that glorifies Him or music that doesn't offend Him.. sometimes some crap gets in there, but we ignore it or get rid of it based on our current convictions. None of us have it "down" perfectly... we just know there is a God, He sent His Son to redeem us and we trust He will guide us thru this screwed up life via the Spirit until we die (which is imminent - some of us sooner than others) - then we'll stand before Him and the rest is up to Him.
Back to top Go down

Question on bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on bands   Question on bands I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Great answers everyone. Thanks! Unbelievably yes, when I am listening to christian metal theology does make a difference to me. Shocked I know , that is probably surprising to some of you. Example...I don't care for the Daniel Band Song "undercover Christian". I disagree with the lyrics and skip it. I won't listen to new bride albums either. I don't really care for precious death because of their theological views. I actually will not listen to secular music that attacks God, Jesus or the holy spirit on a personal level by name. I kinda like Chris' view of not wanting to have to think much about the lyrics and really prefer more simplistic lyrics. (maybe that why I like glam metal so much...the lyrics in Christian glam are usually pretty simplistic and in secular are usely pretty cheesy Razz)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Question on bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on bands   Question on bands I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question on bands
Page 1 of 1