Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Ministry Bands"

Go down 
+5
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
Preacherman777
bassdude
Staybrite
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Preacherman777

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-03-18

"Ministry Bands" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 3:09 pm

If they were up front about that and proclaimed themselves as such, I would not have a problem. At least that would be honest. For example, I've never given Creed, U2 or Kings X a hard time because they don't make any claim to be what they obviously are not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Several 'Christian" bands have claimed to not be christian bands...just Christians in a band. Rob Rock has said in interviews and to me personally that he is just a christian who happens to be a musician but he isn't a "Christian" musician.
Members from Holy Soldier and Demon Hunter said the same thing. Rage of Angels went out of their way in an old Heavens metal interview to say they were not a christian ministry band and even at one point said they were on a Christian Label because thats who signed them.
I sometimes wonder if bands are called "Christian" by the press and other Christians because of the lyrics they write while the bands themselves don't see themselves as Christian bands but as just working metal bands? maybe Christians should pay more attention to what the bands say in interviews and whats on their websites? What do you think?
There have been times when I went to a bands website and if they weren't labeled as a Christian band I would never have figured it out based on the bands website and performance.
Back to top Go down
Preacherman777

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 5:01 pm

I think there are bands to use the "Christian" moniker to gain some initial level of success, but their hearts are not really into being a ministry. They take advantage of the Christian music scene and the devotion of Christian music fans and then they serve themselves. The bands I mention before are bands that I am willing to respect, because even though they sometimes sing about Christian things and at least some of them probably are Christians, they never tried to take advantage the way some other bands have. Stryper, to me, is a band that definitely took advantage of the scene and the fans and continue to do so, but who ultimately are trying to have it both ways by not wanting to held to the standards of ministry, even though they came on the scene acting like that's what they were all about, so while I continue to enjoy some of their music, I have lost some respect for them.

Having said that, I would agree that there are fans and even the industry that does try to lift up bands that never claimed it or acted like it, just because some of what they sing about has Christian or spiritual themes. The bands I mentioned are good examples of that. I've never mistaken any of them for Christian bands. Stryper on the other hand went out of their way to sell themselves as something they were not committed to being. Other bands have done this as well. The Christian music industry (if it were really Christian) should be committed to not signing bands who are not committed to ministry.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23475
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 10:45 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Several 'Christian" bands have claimed to not be christian bands...just Christians in a band. Rob Rock has said in interviews and to me personally that he is just a christian who happens to be a musician but he isn't a "Christian" musician.
Members from Holy Soldier and Demon Hunter said the same thing. Rage of Angels went out of their way in an old Heavens metal interview to say they were not a christian ministry band and even at one point said they were on a Christian Label because thats who signed them.
I sometimes wonder if bands are called "Christian" by the press and other Christians because of the lyrics they write while the bands themselves don't see themselves as Christian bands but as just working metal bands? maybe Christians should pay more attention to what the bands say in interviews and whats on their websites? What do you think?
There have been times when I went to a bands website and if they weren't labeled as a Christian band I would never have figured it out based on the bands website and performance.

The difference being what? You can call yourself whatever you want, but when you start portraying Jesus positively with your lyrics you brand yourself whether you like it or not. You can be "Christians in a band" and sing about anything you'd like. But, when you start writing songs really trying to share your faith with others, you put yourself in a category as a Christian band whether that's what you really want. Also, who determines what moniker you wear? The fans--that's who! If they see you as more of a ministry type band and you have always allowed yourself to be seen in that light, then don't freak out if they don't like your new "secular" album. The artist has a lot more power to do what they want to do but allow the labels to create them into what they think is marketable. If you're not comfortable with the whole "Christian band" tag, then don't allow yourself to be marketed that way at all. The only way to do that is to not sing about Jesus, the Christian life, or really anything spiritual at all. When you do, people are going to brand you and you just have to get over that.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 11:21 pm

I hear what you are saying Chris...At the same time I don't think the fans should freak out if the artist decides to put out a secular album. This has happened to Stryper twice....not to mention the big controversy over the To Hell With The Devil original album cover. Its obvious to me that stryper doesn't care what people say about their music...they have defended the covering from day 1. There are alot of Christian bands that have done way worse things personally and professionally than stryper has. Its like you always say...don't like what this band put out this time...don't buy the record.
True...the fans do determine the moniker a band wears and thats why I am saying maybe Christians should really look at a band (personally and professionally) and its music before we throw a christian band label on them...Just because they sing Christian positive lyrics doesn't always mean they are Christians...wouldn't you agree? Some of the reviews on Angelic Warlord point out that certain records are Christian and some are Christian Friendly. I think this rings true in all Christian entertainment areas. There are alot of so called Christian books out there that are not Christian...
In the end we each have to make decisions on what we buy based on what the Holy Spirit tells us. He knows best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Are there some albums that are labeled as fantastic Christian Albums that when you hear it you think 'This is cool music but this isn't a Christian Album so I am not going to buy it?"
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 7:30 am

Not the way you put it, no. You make it sound like most of us who just do Christian music are so closed minded. You also assume that we don't allow the Holy Spirit to guide us. Ever think that some of us may feel that God has led us to our musical choices? Through my teen years, I had one of the largest secular metal collections of anyone I had met. But, when I went through a hard time in 1990 and even did time in a psych ward for depression, I felt God call me out. Most of the stuff I liked were bands that I didn't agree with what they were pushing. Don't say it's just entertainment--EVERY band (Christian or not) has an agenda. I felt that God was asking me to come out and be different. Except for Stryper, I did not know of any other Christian bands at the time, so it was a really hard thing to do. So, to just blindly say that any of us just buy it because it's Christian is assuming that you know more about us than we do ourselves. Much prayer was put into my decision. It hasn't been easy either as I still catch flack for it today--mostly from other Christians.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 9:13 am

Me too alldat. I've explained to several Christians why I only listen to Christian metal (secular makes me angry and aggressive, and it was what I listened to in order to rebel against my parents) and people still think I'm close-minded and that my faith is weak.
Back to top Go down
Preacherman777

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 10:20 am

We all have idols in our lives that we find ways to justify. I think there are many Christians who do that with music, heck, maybe I even do it with some of what I may listen to, even though most of that is pretty clean, but I do let some things pass, so maybe I'm just as guilty in reality. My desire to is fill my mind with things that glorify God and maybe some day that will mean that I pretty much let all the secular music go. I don't know. I'm pretty sure there is at least some of it that's fine, but more and more, I do find things that I think to myself, that really isn't right, so I have to rethink it. My life doesn't really belong to me, you know, it belongs to God and more and more, I want to live it that way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Quote :
You make it sound like most of us who just do Christian music are so
closed minded. You also assume that we don't allow the Holy Spirit to
guide us.

I am sorry you guys think this...this is not what I am trying to say at all. I am merely pointing out that some bands are called Christian that are not....If one is going to judge Stryper (and some here have) then shouldn't all Christian bands be examined?

I also was just asking what criteria you use to decide what to buy? I am curious...not trying to be offensive. Its not right to ask you this question without sharing my view so here is my criteria..if I like it I buy it. I do not buy music that attacks Christ by name (slayer, deicide, Korn, Cradle of Filth). Bands that promote anything else is not a problem for me personally. I feel like thats what the spirit has told me. I don't care what religion anyone else is. I totally don't care if they sing about sex, women, partying or any of those subjects because I don't have a problem with those things. I listen mostly to glam and those are the topics. I dig some power metal and actually enjoy the mystical dragon and sword themes. I am not judging anyone who disagrees...I wish you guys would quit saying thats how you feel. (you guys must take a lot of flack off people over this around you) Do what you feel is right. I think the spirit advises each of us differently and individually and thats cool.

I agree that some bands push the Christian thing as a gimmick and that comes out in the end...look at creed. They were called the next big thing in Christian rock when they came out. Now we find out that the singer was christian and the rest of the guys were not but used the label to make money...where are they now?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 pm

I don't feel like you were judging me BT, I just was agreeing with alldat.

However, I will answer your question about how I choose what to listen to. The lyrics have to be clean, and while they don't have to be 100% about Jesus, they have to be from a Christian worldview.

There are some bands with Christians that I don't listen to because I don't hear the worldview there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Thankyou ish..I think you get my point. You make your choices based on the lyrics and not the Christian label.

I do not think anyone here does this but I have met alot of Christians through the years who buy Christian metal (even the bands they didn't like) because its "the christian thing to do"... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm

No, there are a lot of Christian bands that I don't buy because I have to support them because of a Christian tag. I don't do much of any extreme metal because I just can't stand the styles. I don't care for most thrash, either. I don't care how much they sing about Jesus.

I have several criteria. Lyrics, music that interests me, and overall catchiness of the songs. I'd prefer for the band to be living a Christ-like lifestyle. If not, the message they may be offering just loses something coming from them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Ministry Bands"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2