Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Ministry Bands"

Go down 
+5
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
Preacherman777
bassdude
Staybrite
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 4:59 pm

This quote from another thread got me thinking about something.

Quote :
Quote :
I just think they have compromised their ministry

Who says it's a ministry? That may be the problem. It's a job to them. But ministry happens. But they are just working musicians.

I hear the term "ministry band" tossed about quite often. What does it really mean? Are ministry bands singing to uplift those of us in the pews (like the choir)? Or are they out in the world trying to win souls to Christ?
If it is the later, I have to wonder how effectively being in a "Christian rock band" is for spreading the gospel. Personally before I was a Christian I would never have wasted my time at a "Christian rock concert" and I don't know many other non-Christians who would either.

Are "ministry rock bands" that are trying to reach the lost just kidding themselves. Would their efforts be better spent witnessing to people on the street? Or do they really reach the occasional person in a club and help him/her see their need for Christ?
I'm not trying to sound cynical here, but I'm not entirely convinced that the whole "ministry rock band" ideal is a great use of resources. Right now I think I'm better convinced by a working band of musicians who do what they can to spread the gospel while they are working in their chosen profession playing/recording music for money.

Maybe someone here has been "saved" at a Christian music concert and knows of countless others who have.

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 pm

While there may be few who get saved as a result of a "ministry band" passing through town and giving a concert, a local body of believers must take that new convert under their wing and disciple him or they will be right back where they started.......except that now, as a result of having been failed by the church, they will be disillusioned with Christianity and even more difficult to reach than before.

I say, let music be music and let ministry be ministry.......if the two happen to coincide that would be great, but people are better won by people they know and have a relationship with than some anonymous band just passing through.
Back to top Go down

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 6:50 pm

I think at least 90% of all christian music (rock, metal, hiphop, ccm) is bought by Christians only. Alot of people buy christian metal simply as an alternative to non/Christian metal. While there is nothing wrong with this it kinda defeats the purpose of "ministry". When I do share a band like Narnia or whitecross with an unsaved friend I never tell them its christian but always just say "check this out...it sounds cool and they rock". Thats why I think this whole "Christian" genere is silly and to be honest usually more about money than ministry. If a band is christian then the life they lead on and off stage will speak volumes more than even the music they play.

Quote :
. Right now I think I'm better convinced by a
working band of musicians who do what they can to spread the gospel
while they are working in their chosen profession playing/recording
music for money.

I agree "Ministry Bands" 676823
Back to top Go down
Preacherman777

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-03-18

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 9:23 pm

When I was in my mid teens my mom pressured me to go to a Petra concert with the church youth group. I had been raised with a Christian mother, but I was in a very rebellious place in my life at that time and had not yet made any real surrender to Christianity. I won't say that going to that Petra concert made all the difference, but I saw and heard things there that stuck with me and got me curious, so it definitely had an impact and became part of a series of events that did bring me to surrender to Christ by the time I was 16. A band like Petra is very wise about the way they do ministry because they work the local churches to get local counselors in place to help new converts with understanding the gospel and discipleship. Back in the day, you would see masses of kids go up for the alter call, while I'm sure many of these didn't stick and many others were just Christian kids recommitting themselves, I do believe and I know, because I've heard many testimonies, that the way they did things resulted in plenty of genuine salvation experiences. Now Stryper was never that kind of band. They did attempt to do some degree of ministry, but there was nothing that would have penetrated my soul at that time in my life and made me think seriously about God and his place in my life, the way that Petra did.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 7:32 am

I think that the whole concept of a "ministry band" works, but all the parts have to be in place. You need more than a band willing to play anywhere (churches, county fairs, nightclubs, etc.). You need Christian fans who are willing to invite their friends and to pray for them before and during the show. I've known a few people over the years that were saved at shows because of what they've heard from the stage.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 9:25 am

That's an very important thing to do.
Pray when christian bands play on non Christian events, show, county fairs, nightclubs and all the other places.

When I go to a Christian festival, I often pray for the bands playing there.For the unsaved audience who came to listen.

That's why I think the testimony a Christan band is giving on stage is so very important.

Those who know me a bit better know I will pray for things like this.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 pm

I think an important thing to do here is to define the word "ministry". Many bands/artists minister in different ways for the ultimate glory of God.

For example, this morning I was listening to Slave To Sin by Missionary One.... and not to get all mushy on Chris or anything, but that song ministered to me. A song can speak to someone - thus making it a ministry song.

What are your thoughts on that ? Several songs on a Christian album may be just cool songs, but a couple of the songs may minister to the listener in a special way.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 1:31 am

I've been thinking about this all week.

God calls us to minister whether it's our job or not. I'm not a pastor but I still can minister to the clients I work with as well as my coworkers. Just because a band, any band, doesn't call themselves a "ministry" band or whatever label, it doesn't matter.

Look how stupid it sounds on any other career. A plumber can't use that excuse - "Well, I'm just a plumber so I can cuss and cheat people on their bill and not do quality work because I'm not a ministry plumber.""Ministry Bands" 287212
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:29 am

Thumbs Up

The scene is Heaven: there's a bunch of Evangelists being shown all those who came to faith cuz of their ministry... then much to everyone's surprise a bunch of God's children stand up and proclaim that they came to faith cuz of a rock concert, or cuz of a crossover band that got them interested in Christian music and ultimately came to Christ, or even some who say they came to faith cuz there was something different about that drummer dude that lived in their neighborhood and they talked to him one day... I could go on, but you get it...
Back to top Go down
Preacherman777

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 11:09 am

None of us who are in Christ have an excuse to not share the gospel in both word and deed. It's not just about what we say and it's not just about how we live, it's both.
Back to top Go down

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:41 pm

When I go to a concert, christian or secular metal, I do not want to be preached at. I want to see them play and put on their show and that's it. I would never consider going to see a band like Petra or Rez because of their preaching. When I seen stryper they never even brought up their belief except to say they were "rockin for the rock". When I seen guardian they literally played in a church sanctuary. We set in the pews and the band had marshall stacks in the chior loft. They never even said the name of Jesus while they perform. They just kept asking if we were having a good time. After they played they got on the bus and left.... just like secular bands do. That's the way I want it to be if I go to a show.
Back to top Go down
Preacherman777

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 1 Corinthians 9:16
Back to top Go down

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 pm

I think this verse is paul talking about HIS personal calling. He also says in 1 cor. That SOME are called to preach and SOME are called to teach but not ALL. I think we are all called to live quiet and holy and be ready to give an answer when asked or specifically prompted by the spirit. I don't think we should go around bringing it up. The best witness does not contain words...Rich Mullens said that and I agree with him.
Back to top Go down
Preacherman777

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Good luck finding that in the Bible. I have long asked to see someone make a Biblical case for not preaching the gospel and I have yet to see anyone do it. It's easy to write that off by just saying it was Paul's personal calling, but there is much in the Bible that tells us we are to share the good news of salvation in Christ. Thinking you can do this just with the way you live and not actually saying anything is short sighted at best. Like I said before, both the words and the actions are important. One does not work without the other. There are tons of people who live good lives, but who don't know Jesus.

Romans 10:14
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
Back to top Go down

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Quote :
Good luck finding that in the Bible.

1 Thessalonians 4:11
Aim to live quietly, mind your own business, and earn your own living, just as I told you.
1 Cor. 12 says we all have a gift but we don't all have the same gift...Some preach, some teach, some pray, some heal, some speak tongues, Some interpret tongues...all from the same spirit but each person given A gift...not all the gifts.
1 peter 3:15
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect
I am not saying we don't share the gospel but I also don't think we go around bringing it up to everyone we meet. Outreach and ministry is ok but should be something we do with our lifestyle more than our words. People talk about Christ all the time but those who constantly make an issue of it are not sharing the gospel but turning people off..."witnessing Wednesday" is a bad idea to me and unless one is prompted by the spirit we should mind our own business. We are to be led by the spirit...not our thoughts and words. Only the spirit knows whats going on in a persons life and can share with us the right words to say. No disrespect pm777 but you do what you are led and I will do it the way i am led...thats all any of us can do...including musicians and bands. Petra does it their way and Stryper does it theirs. I personally prefer strypers way. Other than that we will have to agree to disagree on this issue.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Timshell64

Timshell64

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2011-05-25

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 8:57 am

This is for Staybrite and His Original post. I would quote it but I havnt figured out how to do the nice black box around it yet. Don't laugh ok.

When I was first saved in 88 I started going to tons of christian concerts. I had seen Whitecross at least 8-9 times, Anywho as far as ministry bands go you are right. Non-christians probably would not just decide to go to it, But it was a great tool for christians to bring friends who didnt know Christ and or maybe just going to church because of mom or family and not because they were serving the Lord. I actually saw at least a 1000 people at those concerts come forward at an altar service and accept Chrsit as their Savior. Scott Wenzil would preach a simple message about Christ and lives where changed. Not only those that came forward, but those of us in the crowd. To reaffirm that God is good and wanting to change lives. It challenged us to walk closer to Him and be aware that people need the Lord!!!

Now I know Seventh Day Slumber still continues to do this even today. i imagine that there are others that do it too. As far as just being a band and not a ministry to produce music for art sake or even entertainment. I can understand that. Not all of us are called to preach. But all of us are called to be a witness for Christ, to make disciples of all nations. So if I am expected to be a witness on my job, why cant they if their job is the band. All I am saying is if you have such a captive audience listening to you. Why not take that opportunity to share Christ. You do not have to preach, share a testimony of how God is moving in your life. The Word of God does not return void. It is powerful and can change someones life.

Well That is my 2 cents for this thread!! Have a blessed day you all. Oh and the next time you are feeling down or discouraged or feeling like life is rough for you! Get on the net and look at the lives or our brothers and sisters around the world. Living in mud huts and and do not have clean water and they keep praising the Lord!!!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 9:27 am

Several "ministry bands" are changing their approach a little. They know that many will come forward at the end of a show just to meet the band. So, some like the Newsboys and Third Day are asking for area pastors to be available for their altar call moments to do the final ministry work so that fans won't get caught up in the moment. I kind of like that approach.

Sure, bands that feel the need to boldly share their faith in song and on stage are not going to be as popular. I don't think Jesus called us to be popular. He actually promises that we will be hated because of Him. As far as musicians or plumbers, or electricians, etc. go, we ALL need to be using every moment to live for Christ and let His light shine to the lost souls around us. Not doing so is just reckless.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Preacherman777

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 am

Quote :
You do not have to preach, share a testimony of how God is moving in your life. The Word of God does not return void. It is powerful and can change someones life.

This was an excellent point. If you're going to build a career and enjoy fame off the name of Jesus, this is the least you could do for the sake of ministry. Otherwise, I think you are pretty much just using him.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 2:40 pm

There are some artists who are great artists... and not so great 'preachers'.....

That doesn't mean they don't share their faith, but perhaps not from the stage preaching....

When I want to hear preaching/teaching there are certain people I will listen to... To me this is a dead issue... not everyband is a Resurrection Band or a Petra.... I'm grateful to both of them... God used both in my life with great power...

However that doesn't mean everyband must use that format or style for God to use them.... Some will argue with me, but the first Kings X album is one of the greatest 'ministry' albums imo.... to me.... and God used them even tho they had their 'issues' as we all do....

Ministry isn't a cookie cutter event where we can tell when it occurs and when it doesn't.... Paul mentions those items of the body... not everyone is a hand or foot...

Just a few thoughts .... sorry if I don't have reams of scripture to share but I believe that we need to focus more on what we're doing then critizing those who measure up to our expectations in this regard....

Headbang
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Preacherman777

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 3:31 pm

It's not the point that everyone must be a preacher or a teacher, but everyone can tell their story about how God changed their life. John Schlitt, when he does his solo shows, that's all he does. He doesn't preach, he just tells his story. I mean, really, if you want to be in a secular band as a Christian, then be in a secular band, but if you want to be a Christian band and make money off the name of Jesus "be a worker who is worth his wages." Personally, I can't even begin to imagine how anyone who is truly in Christ would not feel compelled to share the truth of the gospel that changed their life, when they have the stage and opportunity to influence available to them. If you have the gift to be able to get up in front of people and perform, I don't think it's asking too much for you to give your testimony as well, unless of course, you're afraid of what the goats will think of you.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Wow thanks for all the input everybody! I really appreciate everyone's insight and view points.

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:
It's not the point that everyone must be a preacher or a teacher, but everyone can tell their story about how God changed their life. John Schlitt, when he does his solo shows, that's all he does. He doesn't preach, he just tells his story. I mean, really, if you want to be in a secular band as a Christian, then be in a secular band, but if you want to be a Christian band and make money off the name of Jesus "be a worker who is worth his wages." Personally, I can't even begin to imagine how anyone who is truly in Christ would not feel compelled to share the truth of the gospel that changed their life, when they have the stage and opportunity to influence available to them. If you have the gift to be able to get up in front of people and perform, I don't think it's asking too much for you to give your testimony as well, unless of course, you're afraid of what the goats will think of you.

Not everyone is John Schlitt.... I've met plenty of muscians who can play with the best of them but get total stagefright if you put a microphone in front of them....

again.. not everyone is a hand or foot.... I've often found most influence comes by personal contact in one on one settings... that imo is the type of contact that means the most to the people I've come across....

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Quote :
Personally, I can't even begin to imagine how anyone who is truly in
Christ would not feel compelled to share the truth of the gospel that
changed their life

Curious...do you share with every person you come across? How do you respond to those who say "not interest...Please move on"...or "I believe in God..Just that I believe different than you?". How do you let the spirit speak through you and listen to what he wants you to say? Are you led by the spirit when you reach out to someone or do you do it from within yourself?
I had someone respond to me once with..."Which Jesus do You Believe In?...The Methodist, baptist, catholic or what. They all claim the same Jesus but to this non-Beliver they are all different Jesus".
I have always thought this an interesting (and sad and somewhat true) response to hearing the gospel. It really opened my eyes to how the outside world views the church.
Back to top Go down
Preacherman777

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Well, first of all, I'm a pastor, so I have plenty of opportunity to share the gospel. Do I do it with every person I ever meet? No, but that's not what I'm talking about. I have a certain sphere of influence and I use that sphere of influence to promote the gospel of Christ. This is all I am saying about anybody. For some, their sphere of influence is small and for others it's larger. Whether it's large or small, it should be seen as a gift from God that comes with a responsibility to not hide that which God has invested in us. It's a sacred trust, you know. It has nothing to do with being a hand or foot or an ear or an eye. None of the parts of the body are excused from sharing the gospel. It may not be your primary job, like it is for me, but if you have influence and everybody has some, that should be used to promote the gospel. It's not a cookie cutter thing. Doesn't work for everyone the same way, but you can do what you can and unfortunately, there are plenty who are not doing what they can. I will never buy the idea that someone who gets up in front of a microphone to sing and entertain has too much stage fright to give their testimony. That's an excuse in my book. I am also a musician and songwriter and I know plenty of others who are as well. It takes a certain degree of ego to get up on stage and do that, so if you can serve yourself, you can certainly serve the gospel.
Back to top Go down

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Quote :
I mean, really, if you want to be in a secular band as a Christian, then be in a secular band,

Good point...maybe its time the christian metal community comes to the realization that some of the bands we talk about and listen to are not christian bands...maybe some of them are really Christians in a secular band who write spiritual and christian friendly lyrics. Alot of bands would fall into that...Rage of Angels, Kings X, Guardian, Holy Soldier and even modern day stryper could all fall into that category.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Ministry Bands" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Ministry Bands"   "Ministry Bands" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Ministry Bands"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: