Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen

Go down 
+5
alldatndensum
Staybrite
Through The Dark Radio
MikeInFla
Black Rider
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Black Rider

Black Rider

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen Empty
PostSubject: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 11:54 am

Another album that needs a remaster, this is a mix of heavier songs with some that fall squarely AOR and a singer that sounds like a mix of Les Carlsen and Tom Kiefer.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Another one I have never heard of!
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Yeah, the Watchmen release is rather hard to find.  Not exactly massed marketed . . . like all of the other Christian metal and rock  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23417
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Absolutely love this album.  And yes, this band got almost not exposure.  They are even local to my area (Seattle area) and I never even heard of them performing live.  I do have a friend that used to attend almost weekly club shows in the area during the late 80's to mid 90's and he remembers seeing flyers for the band performances but never actually saw them play anywhere.  
I had never even heard of the group until I started coming to Christian music forums and digging heaving into finding Christian metal and hard rock (back in 2003 or so).

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 8:53 pm

I think Roxx needs to snag this one and remaster it.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Both of these are legally available for purchase through Amazon.  Both the Fear No Evil and Generation albums are there for $6.99 each.  I had cassettes of both many, many years ago.  I never tracked down either on CD and don't know if they were ever available in that format.  I have low quality MP3s of these and think I will upgrade so I can remaster them myself.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 9:53 pm

I am listening to the downloads from Amazon right now of "Fear No Evil".  Man, this was a killer album for only 8 songs.  This is worlds better than "Generation" and I liked that album!!!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 10:55 pm

I never heard Fear No Evil back in the day but listening now, it has more grit.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am

Sounds good but the sax is a little weird in some songs. It's as if they didn't know if they wanted to be hard rock or comtemporary.
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 am

You're right, it's like they went AOR on some but not all of the album and it's kind of uneven.
Back to top Go down
dale434445

dale434445

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2007-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 am

MikeInFla wrote:
Sounds good but the sax is a little weird in some songs. It's as if they didn't know if they wanted to be hard rock or comtemporary.

If I'm not mistaken, the producer added the sax overdubs in without the band knowing about it.
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 11:05 am

Weird. If true I wonder why? They don't blend in at all.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 1:27 pm

Greg Sweet (the singer for Watchmen) recorded another project several years back that was initially named "Torque" but later renamed "Eldon's Machine".  It has more of a Seattle Grunge influence.  I'm looking for some sound samples for the Eldon's Machine recordings, but Greg's old website that had the music samples and downloads has been taken down.  He passed away back in 2015.

I did find a few Watchmen concert videos with some incredibly good sound from their dormant facebook page.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5323
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Yes, it was sad that he passed away.  Loved the first album and the second (Generations) was pretty good too.  Torque was okay, and I downloaded it from Greg's site but it wasn't really my style so I didn't listen to it much.

In the late 90's he rereleased Generations with a few more songs on it, but they were more modern in style (I think it was 3 new songs).  I almost bought that CD (called Impact - Generations I believe), but decided not to.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 3:57 pm

Fundy wrote:
In the late 90's he rereleased Generations with a few more songs on it, but they were more modern in style (I think it was 3 new songs).  I almost bought that CD (called Impact - Generations I believe), but decided not to.

I remember seeing that Impact cd for sale on someone's site several years back, but when I found out it was mostly songs from the Generations album I passed.  He definitely did some more worship style music as well.  There are a few videos of him performing with his worship band at church.  And there is this video of what is supposedly and Eldon's Machine song, but it wasn't on the digital album Greg released through his site.  It sounds more like a worship band track than what much of the Eldon's Machine/Torque stuff sounded like.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 4:59 pm

I don't really like the Eldon's Machine song.  It reminds me of some Paul Baloche worship song without really grabbing me lyrically.

I am glad to have found good downloads of the two Watchmen albums, though.  Good stuff!  Generations does have some saxophone on it, but only on one slow song.  That's it.  That isn't enough of a detractor for me to dislike the album.

Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks for the concert videos, they really do sound good and it's cool to hear them live.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 7:35 pm

Black Rider wrote:
Thanks for the concert videos, they really do sound good and it's cool to hear them live.

You betcha!

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Man, that guy is a dead ringer for Les Carlsen. This sounds like Bloodgood in a parallel universe. I like it.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2019 8:34 am

I love the music of Watchmen.
Very cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen   Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another trip down memory lane-Watchmen
Page 1 of 1