Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Reading together?

Go down 
+4
Staybrite
Fundy
Guilty/Forgiven
rockerVu2
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Reading together? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 11:55 am

I'm still in.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Let's continue our reading then.
What chapter in John do we have to read.
Shall we start again on Thursday?
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Looks like we're up to Chapter 5 . . . well, at least some of us are Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 8:51 am

Let's start tomorrow with John 5.
Good we continue the reading.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 12:06 pm

So I just read John 5. Here's some thoughts to start the conversation:

First I noticed something I had never thought about before:
Now in Jerusalem, near the Sheep Gate, there is a pool, which is called in Hebrew (Jewish Aramaic) Bethesda, having five porticoes (alcoves, colonnades). In these porticoes lay a great number of people who were sick, blind, lame, withered, [waiting for the stirring of the water; for an angel of the Lord went down into the pool at appointed seasons and stirred up the water; the first one to go in after the water was stirred was healed of his disease.]

So wait... an angel stirred the water? Why isn't this mentioned anywhere else in the Bible? When did it start? Why did it start? What is happening? I'd love to know more about this.

Second, this stood out to me:
10 So the Jews kept saying to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath, and you are not permitted to pick up your pallet [because it is unlawful].” 11 He answered them, “The Man who healed me and gave me back my strength was the One who said to me, ‘Pick up your pallet and walk.’”

and then this part where Jesus is talking to the Pharisees:
39 You search and keep on searching and examining the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and yet it is those [very Scriptures] that testify about Me; 40 and still you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

This struck a chord with me. I've been saying and hearing other folks say for years that a lot of Christians worship the Bible more than wanting a relationship with Jesus. They get so caught up on rules, do-this-don't-do-that thinking that they ignore the very reason the book exists in the first place. It's interesting to realize the Pharisees did the same thing to Jesus' face.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading together?   Reading together? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reading together?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4