Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness

Go down 
+2
BearDad
alldatndensum
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 8:18 am

I got the new CD yesterday in the mail.  I haven't finished listening to it yet, but this thing is just heavy!  They've definitely decided to not just be a more radio friendly rock band.  I guess they figured that if the radio and labels aren't interested in them that they can do whatever they want.  Well, it works!  The guitars are tuned a bit lower (or using 7 string) and they aren't afraid to let them chug now.  This is the most aggressive they have ever been.  Some of the tracks come off with more of a "core" sound without having the screaming vocals.  I like it!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Awesome! I saw that it was out, but they've always been a "meh" band for me. I like them, but there are so many other CDs I want that a DD CD has never been top priority. Based on your post their latest CD is now higher on my want list. Smile
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 3:18 pm

I was curious about how this CD sounds.
No, not the CD but the songs on it.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 4:22 pm

If you liked their very first album, then this is definitely more in line.  There are only 3 slower songs here, and they are done in true power ballad style with softer verses and crunchy guitars during the choruses.

While the album as a whole is heavier, keep in mind that there are NO growling or screaming vocals.  That's not what you get from this band.  They add some heavier elements while still maintaining a melodic sound with T.J.'s voice.

While still finishing my first listen, this could easily become my new favorite from this band.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2016 8:04 am

Time to listen to the songs of "The Other Side Of Darkness".
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 9:52 pm

How are the lyrics?

BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 6:06 am

I got this the other day, but haven't given it a good listen yet. My first impression was that it is good, and it definitely comes out of the gate at full speed.

BTW, am I the only one that thinks the lead singer is channeling Chris Cornell?! Smile
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 6:18 am

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Chris Cornell?

Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 8:33 am

Lead singer of the 90's grunge band Soundgarden. Listening to them side by side I don't hear it as much, but when I had DD playing in the garage the other evening I thought at times that Caleb really sounded like Chris.

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 am

Okay, really? I love Cornell's voice in Soundgarden and Audioslave... Is this a band I should check out?
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 9:34 am

ishmael81 wrote:
Okay, really? I love Cornell's voice in Soundgarden and Audioslave... Is this a band I should check out?

By "this" do you Decyfer Down? If so, definitely. They aren't metal, but they are good, solid hard rock.  I only have two CDs so far, but I'm really impressed with them.

BTW, you might disagree with my "sounds like Chris" statement, and I'll admit that side by side I don't see it. But as I said above, while listening to the new CD I thought so. The song above reminds me of some of Disciple's stuff.

Here's one that has a bit more of the Chris Cornell sound.

Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 10:41 am

OK, here's one where you might here the Chris Cornell similarity a little better.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 2:06 pm

I loved their Scarecrow album, but I'm not digging much of anything else they've done included the few tracks I heard on the new album.

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Sorry BearDad - I see now my sentence wasn't clear. Yes, by "this" I meant Decyfer Down...

Thanks for the videos - I'm always interested in fan favorites vs. singles.

And actually I hear the similarity in the Bleeding Lies video...
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 4:13 pm

I have all four of the DD albums and love them!  I do hear the similarities to the Cornell guy, but he isn't an exact replica either.

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 9:42 pm

So are the lyrics on the new one still pretty decent?

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 6:12 am

They are.  With them doing the tour with Disciple and Seventh Day Slumber, they have definitely kept the focus pointed on Christ.  With that said, however, some of the lyrics could be interpreted different ways so that this album could be a crossover onto secular radio as well.  As an indie band, they've made the decision to keep making art that most people into this style should like while honoring Christ.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness   Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Decyfer Down - The Other Side Of Darkness
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: